Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, reversing out of a mud hole that had a log in it, I zipped all the teeth off my reverse gear. Of course all those teeth decide to play with all the other gears on the playground. Ended up losing a bearing, four gears, and the transaxle cover. $700 later I have the parts on order. Then I get an email saying one of the gear/shafts is on backorder until September 20th.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what's on back order. I don't suppose anyone has one laying around? Haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t feel bad ordered a bunch of stuff I needed on back order for another month. Tried multiple places. What’s up with that

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is this 2020 upgrade you speak of?

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are a couple of gears that are 20-30% wider. I think we can also learn a bunch from the polaris guys as team industries also builds their transmissions. Do a search and you will see that many polaris guys upgrade the transmission bearings. I have spent some time talking with a few of the polaris desert racers and it is no secret that many of them replace bearings at the beginning of every season and frequently right before a major long distance race. The bearings, gear lash, and side tolerances are a major concern as they effect the tolerances in the rest of the assembly. FYI when you get your new gears I would recommend that you do a dye pentrant test to make sure that there are no cracks. It has been documented by weddle that some of the new gears, out of the box, have cracks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don’t feel bad ordered a bunch of stuff I needed on back order for another month. Tried multiple places. What’s up with that
That's Textron, that's what's up. The have an inventory program called just in time. Doesn't work worth beans.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
JIT is superb for keeping a manufacturing line running smoothly with minimal inventory. Spare parts require a separate, accurate forecast of demand. JIT has nothing to do with it.

The end result is the same - if AC / Textron doesn't commit to a certain level of customer service on spare parts, you get a lot of pissed off ex-customers.

Yes, that was my area of expertise prior to retirement.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a used 22 tooth shaft/gear online for $45 shipped. It looks to be in good shape. For a third of the price, I think it's worth it to get a few months of riding in while I wait for the new one.

And just an FYI, it's the same part number as the one in the Wildcat Trail/Sport. I was surprised/disappointed to see that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got everything put back together over the weekend. Maybe go test it out this coming weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts