Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my cat for almost a year now and have went through a few belts. I put a brand new belt on yesterday went not event a mile from my home in low gear to break in the belt and smelled it burning came back home and cover was hot to the touch. Broke everything back down and new belt is toast. It’s not breaking from the inside teeth but the outside of the belt is ripping and shredding. That brought me to inspect to see if I didn’t clean the case very well before I reinstalled. I found this bolt on the case cover.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

is this factory or did the previous owner put in a screw that is too long? Sorry for the second edit. Put on a non used belt/ came with the buggy when I bought it. Ate the belt wishing 1 mile. Broke everything down and started looking at removing the primary clutch and noticed the head to the center bolt is broke off. Any suggestions on how to get that out?

·
Registered
267 Posts
is there a head on the other side looks like the drain plug for when the case is closed up

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
drainplug !! mounted from outside !!- norm. belt dont touch ! has nothing to do with your belt problems- sure its the right belt !? - are the springs worn!? jack the thing up- let it carefully run with open cover- see how clutch works...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have bought 2 belts directly from arctic cat and had 2 knock off belts both get obliterated
Common things to look for...My first guess is check clutch alignment (someone makes an alignment tool), next is excessive heat (there is a mod for a 4” blower motor and you can get temp gauge for it) (Do you live in the desert?), also incorrect belt deflection, improper belt break in, broken motor mount, clutch adjustment, slipping belt.
If it is hitting that drain plug something is very loose and it would probably drive bad.
There are guys who have spent years tuning clutches (especially snowmobiles) they are wizards. Find one if you can.
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I don’t live in the desert. The last 2 belts it ate were within 5 min being in low gear under 25mph. I looked online at a parts diagram and noticed it was missing a shim or two(god only knows what the previous owner did) Hopefully I can get it up and running. I will look for the clutch alignment tool.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don’t live in the desert. The last 2 belts it ate were within 5 min being in low gear under 25mph. I looked online at a parts diagram and noticed it was missing a shim or two(god only knows what the previous owner did) Hopefully I can get it up and running. I will look for the clutch alignment tool.
5 minutes?!?! That is bad..... and it's not slipping the whole time or stuck clutch?? Then alignment?
Run it with the cover off to see what's happening. I've eyballed a belt on a modded sled and it lasted a lot longer than that.
If you can't find answers here look through snowmobile forums. Same idea, but those guys change clutches on a way more common scale than SXS guys.
GL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Wheel

with this one I smelt the belt burning and shut the machine down and pulled the cover and found the ring. My dad put on the other belt and went 1mile down the road and walked home and the belt was in pieces in the case. That’s when I found The head broken off the bolt on the clutch because I was going to pull it off to make sure everything was clean before putting on a new belt.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
...said it twice- look with open cover how clutch works- is it stickin- maybe need new springs?- do the shims and alignement !

theres vids on youtube-

and if you SEARCH-

you will find EVRY information here- no need for snowmobile experts...

·
Registered
267 Posts
did you put the secondary clutch back together right there are alignment marks on there .

·
Registered
267 Posts
there are alignment marks on the clutch should be one on the back shive to
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

Reactions: izom

·
Registered
267 Posts
yes it can be put on 180 off there are marks on both sides of clutch showed in the picture in last post. and yes and x marks the spot

·
Registered
267 Posts
this link is for the trail but works the same

Reactions: st96badboy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts