Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to take your idea one step further and build up the stator cover too. It seems that the cover lets go first, taking out the case boss in the process. I'll post photos when its done.
Thank You

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you bake the casting to sweat out any impurities before welding? I was told that's the best way to avoid porosity. If not, what did you clean the casting with? I want to have mine welded without pulling the motor if possible. I work at a fab./machine shop and that's what my boss recommended.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not worked much on my Wildcat yet. I was thinking bout reinforcing that area with welds before it breaks along with the starter and starter clutch upgrade while I'm there. Can this be done without removing the engine by just pulling the plastic off ?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you can get to the bolts that secure the front exhaust primary to the cylinder head, you can probably do it without removing any plastic. I've never tried to reach those (8mm 12 pt) without the interior being out. The stator area is open to the crankcase, so be prepared to deal with some oil and have a new gasket on hand.

I would make a plate to strengthen the area, then weld the plate in. I think if you went at it with a lot of weld, you could warp that part of the case.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think it can be done with the engine in. And I like mbrandt1402's suggestion with the plate. be nice it you could elevate the cat 4 or 5 ft (platform) for easy access.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No clue how it happened; that part of the starter is isolated from everything. Wonder how it even started when I drove it out of my toy hauler to check the engine.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Replaced the starter with the new version (and gear). With the cover off i could see some wear on the magneto and stator (?) so I replaced both. Did not notice and crank play. Started right up. Ocotillo Wells tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I needed to pull the engine and take it to an expert TIG Welder. The plan was to build up and reinforce the Boss with new aluminum. AND to do this WITHOUT taking the engine apart (whoo hoo!). It took less than an hour for my Welder to get it done. All I had to do was take the engine to him dry of all fluids and with the stator cover removed.
This is the aluminum build up he did.

View attachment 212266
So is this possible without pulling the engine ?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would think that it can be done with the engine installed, but really really hard. Pulling the engine is NOT a big deal

·
Registered
19 Posts
So is this possible without pulling the engine ?
I did it without pulling the engine and had a skilled tig welder We lifted it off the ground and dropped the tire, shock and cover. Pulling the engine isn't necessary. Mine was cracked and repaired poorly(1st pic) before I purchased the machine. I went heavy duty with a plate to spread the load and a collar at the shaft. I used the longer 58mm (0829-031) shaft. I also reinforced the cover.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Automotive design
Automotive tire Grey Rim Font Circle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Bicycle part

21 - 36 of 36 Posts