Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been lurking on a few different forums for a while and I thought I was close to making a decision and the talk of the XX / XTR1000 being phased out has me a bit concerned. My BIL has a Can-Am and wheels it regularly at Moab and after driving a 1000 RZR and a 850 CF moto we decided we would like to get a SXS. The CF was very under powered so hill climbs felt dicey and the short width and low travel numbers made rutted hills a little nerve racking.

I have found a few new 2020 and 2021 at misc RV type dealers around the US for $18k. While I'm willing to drive out and pick up one up, what concerns me is after sales parts. I can turn my own wrench so no issue there, its just being able to get parts after the fact.

I like what I'm seeing about the XX / XTR1000 being "overbuilt" for the average entry consumer, welds, better trailing arms, better cage design and even the pre-wired harnesses, etc. Plus it is 64" wide, so that gives me a better selection of trails in my region. I considered the Kawaski but it has a 68" width but that cuts my choice of trails down quite considerably.

I'm reading here and on the Dez racing forum that the lawsuit is possibly at an end w/ rumors of the end of production.

IF you could do it all over again and 18K being the max you'd spend, what would you get instead?
According to ST, the RZR and Can-Am are prone to weld fatigue at several points and the roll cages on the Mavrick X3's are laughable at best.

I don't want to spend $18k then dump another $2k into to beef it up another brand but I'm not sure which route to go. I like the fact the XX has the above features, better welds and so on. One dealer I found even has an old/new stock 2020 tracker w/ both bumpers, sliders and both windshields already installed.

In the end, we'll try to hit Moab once a year and hit CO, SD regions another 4-5 times in the summer then that will likely be it until the next summer rolls around.

TIA

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
There’s been so many rumors on the xx even before it came out,it’s still here and I don’t see it going anywhere. The “lawsuit” is pretty much done. Cats been fighting Covid just like all of the other manufacturers have. Things are getting better over there. Find a good dealer and parts are no problem. I’d buy another one, just need to thin my herd a little to make room for the 2023 rig.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. All the AC dealers are 100-150 miles and AG dealers. There is a Polaris dealer down the road but my co-worker has a quad and said he hates having to deal w/ said dealer. Piss poor CS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think “Piss poor CS” is the new standard.
Thats nearly every resturant we've visited since the inception of the Rona. Perkins has the best consistency with food and the servers are half way decent. Needed tires for the company vehicle and two different shops seemed bothered that I needed a quote. 3rd shop did great w/ the work quote and install but flubbed my quote request for my personal truck, which I had to get from the 4th shop in town.
Gotta love the tip jars and cash registers now. In my day, waiters/waitresses earned tips by providing a service, took orders, got refills, checked on the quality of your experience etc.., but $15 to bag my extra big mac value meal or make my $5 footlong does not require a tip.... And I used to work in the food service industry.

Sadly you seem to be right.

Reactions: NDHotbodies

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats nearly every resturant we've visited since the inception of the Rona. Perkins has the best consistency with food and the servers are half way decent. Needed tires for the company vehicle and two different shops seemed bothered that I needed a quote. 3rd shop did great w/ the work quote and install but flubbed my quote request for my personal truck, which I had to get from the 4th shop in town.
Gotta love the tip jars and cash registers now. In my day, waiters/waitresses earned tips by providing a service, took orders, got refills, checked on the quality of your experience etc.., but $15 to bag my extra big mac value meal or make my $5 footlong does not require a tip.... And I used to work in the food service industry.

Sadly you seem to be right.
The whole concept of tipping is crap. Pay your damn workers a living wage!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
W/o getting into supply chain, effort/reward, the concept of "living wage" is highly debated. Talk to franchise owner, the lady I worked for put in 60-80 weeks to run her place, was not rich by any imagination/ave middle class. Its extremely nuanced.

At the end of the day, I took my HS degree and choose to bust my ass to make a good living in a field that I knew advancement was viable, enough that I now have zero debt minus my house and I'll retire before 55.

Society has gotten into a habit of setting the bar low then being surprised with the results. Goals of only a Mc'D job = Mc'D life. Or learn sales, get a suit, get into realty then branch out, flip houses and live large. Two friends of mine work construction and his ex-wife operates a front-end loader making $100+/year, w/ a HS diploma.

We need to start setting the bar higher for individual goals and aspirations of what we can achieve individually.

Reactions: thunder45

·
Registered
678 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another XX. Especially with the changes they implemented on the Black Hills Edition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another XX. Especially with the changes they implemented on the Black Hills Edition.
Thanks for the info. In an overall satisfaction, most XX/XTR owners seem to be pleased.
I looked at the BHE and the MSRP is $27k which is way above what we want to spend. IF we get the XX/XTR we'll try to get in a few trails before snow fall and I'll register it locally so I can ride around town just to get it broke in. Then next year I'll look at maybe upgrading the steering arms, secondary clutch( If i'm understanding the clutch system correctly) and put some 33's on and get the shocks/springs upgraded.
On our last 2 trips we drove a RZR 1000 and a CFmoto 850. IF the 850 could get us on the trails we chose then the XTR/XX should work fine. I will say I was very pleased w/ the power of the RZR and found the 850 power to be dismal. It struggled up many of the hills the RZR zipped right up.

Thanks, will update the thread when I make a decision.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They don't sell the xtr anymore only the xx. We have 4800 mi on our 2021 and has been bullet proof except for the primary clutch sheaves we're getting grooved so we replaced it. Othere than that nothing. Only complaint, too loud!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are looking for sxs to take out and trail ride, reliable and dependable than an XX is the way to go. Comfortable ride. Lots of room inside. Plenty of power in stock form.
I have 1100 hard short course race miles on my 21. Only things that have broken are due to racing. Still have the stock front diff. Engine hasn't missed a beat. Finally broke the stock transaxle last weekend.
All in all I am very pleased with the XX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still have the stock front diff. Engine hasn't missed a beat. Finally broke the stock transaxle last weekend.
All in all I am very pleased with the XX.
I can help out on that trans and diff situation if you're interested.

I also have some big improvements in the works for the front diffs. Actually testing the first articles in some cars in the coming month.

·
Registered
678 Posts

I also have some big improvements in the works for the front diffs. Actually testing the first articles in some cars in the coming month.
Hey Sean,

I got my trans/diff back from you guys a couple months ago after grenading the stock one. So far so good!

Curious what you'll be offering for the front diff. Every now & then it takes a while to engage & makes a very unpleasant sound. But eventually engages & works fine. Just in case, I always come to a complete stop before I engage it. I've had it apart & the internals look rock solid, no visible damage. Maybe the actuator is going bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Sean,

I got my trans/diff back from you guys a couple months ago after grenading the stock one. So far so good!

Curious what you'll be offering for the front diff. Every now & then it takes a while to engage & makes a very unpleasant sound. But eventually engages & works fine. Just in case, I always come to a complete stop before I engage it. I've had it apart & the internals look rock solid, no visible damage. Maybe the actuator is going bad.
As you have seen in the front diff, there are couplers that simply slip over the splined shafts to engage 4wd, or lock the diff. Both sleeves are spring loaded, so when the splines are not lined up, the actuator motor is not being overloaded trying to force the couplers into place. Occasionally, when the splines are not lined up after you hit the switch on the dash, the spring does not have enough force to push the sleeve over the splines and then you get the grinding noise once you start rolling.

The best way to alleviate this is just to come to very a slow roll so the sleeve can slip over the splines once the shaft splines are aligned.

It certainly is possible that you have a bad actuator, or somehow not getting enough power to the actuator. This is worth checking amperage with a multimeter. I wired up a factory switch here at the shop so I can plug it into the front diffs to make sure the actuators work. I originally wired it up with one of the basic plugs with a built in inverter that had too low of an amperage, and the actuators didn't have enough power to throw the selectors. I know use a much higher draw inverter and they work perfectly.

We are making our own front differential carrier to fit in the stock diff housings, this fixes all of the design flaws that wear out the R&P, retains the factory locker mechanism, and adds 2 more spider gears to really strengthen the diffs and get more life out of them. Got the first one going into a desert race car this month to get some miles on it and show you guys that it works. Should hopefully have these parts to sell as a kit by the end of this year.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Looking forward to see what you guys find out during testing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the extra replies and looks like it helped someone get some input on new gear (y)

I found some listings for the XTR1000 but when I called 2 dealers, "oh that just sold," you wanna talk about the incoming stock? Sounds like their keeping up ads to bait and switch.

I found a few low miles XTR and XX's so we'll see. One XTR has less than 100 miles on the clock and he's 10 minutes from 2 of my cousins. We'll see what pans out over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ordered a BHE and will be selling our 2021 with 32" terrabites and rims, have stock rims and tires soft convertible roof, half window, mirror that are new go with it. We have 4800 miles with brand new team - cat clutch just put on. We ride in northern wi. Fire roads that are gravel and blacktop. No dessert or mudding at all. Had 3 full service oil, Trans, front diff and air filter done since new at cat dealer. No damage and looks like new. 18,000

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess this is a good place to let everyone know that Weddle is going to be investing pretty heavily into some aftermarket parts for both the front diff, and transaxle in the coming year. It is something that we have been keeping an eye on for the past few years, and we feel that we have identified the common failure points after servicing and prepping over 100 each of trans and front differential.

We fully understand that most people do not want to spend money on transmissions and diffs, until they have to. It's always a bummer when you lose either component on the trail, and even more disappointing with the money you have to spend to fix or replace them. The factory parts are just not up to task to prevent these failures, so we will be focusing on making some heavy duty replacement parts that will greatly improve the reliability of these for years to come.

We feel that these platforms are good units and we want to keep them going as long as possible.

For what it's worth, we are still making a crazy amount of gears and parts for VW transaxles dating back to the 1960's. As VW is no longer producing parts for their own transaxles, we fill the void.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the 2018 xx and It runs awesome. I run it hard and it take a beating and just keeps running. I did blow up the transaxle last year and I rebuilt it with stock parts. So Sean what do you do to improve on the trans and the front diff?
Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2018 xx and It runs awesome. I run it hard and it take a beating and just keeps running. I did blow up the transaxle last year and I rebuilt it with stock parts. So Sean what do you do to improve on the trans and the front diff?
Don
We go through them and perform all of the extra processes on the gears and assembly to make them as strong and reliable as possible, that they do not do at the factory to save money. They leave quite a lot for us to do and make these better. We debur and shotpeen the gears to prevent cracks, REM polish the gears for longevity, install high quality bearings, and measure the play between the shafts/bearings, then add shims for proper bearing preload.

It's a proper high level assembly to prevent failures, rather than a robot assembled unit that can fail due to no fault of the user. Shoot me an e-mail for more details regarding pricing and turnaround.

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts