Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Happy to help. I haven't split open an engine case yet, but I'm pretty comfortable on the rest of a 1000 / X.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I replaced the CPS and Stator with brand new OEM. Still sounds/acts the same as before.

Tried mbrandt1402's Hail Mary but still no go. Revs at around 340 rpm when cranking. Making enough carbon monoxide I have to open the garage door, but won't start.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
So it fires enough to smell, but won't run... That is confusing.

Back to the basics (fuel, air, spark), plus a compression test. Fuel pressure should be 40-ish static (engine not running). Compression will be low since you can't warm the engine, but all you are really looking for is that it has some and that the two cylinders are close.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So it fires enough to smell, but won't run... That is confusing.

Back to the basics (fuel, air, spark), plus a compression test. Fuel pressure should be 40-ish static (engine not running). Compression will be low since you can't warm the engine, but all you are really looking for is that it has some and that the two cylinders are close.
I finally got around to trying the compression test today. I pulled both plugs and installed a new compression tester from NAPA in the rear cylinder. It reads 0 PSI when cranking with the accelerator pedal to the floor. I must be missing something obvious. Any thoughts? Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I tried the compression tester on some other motors and it read correctly. Yikes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was able to get it to read 70psi in the rear and 45psi in the front. Cold motor w/WOT. Thinking it needs a valve job as it has never had one. Appreciate any advice, Thank you.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
...2 years to check it !?? youre not in a hurry?? ;-))

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
...2 years to check it !?? youre not in a hurry?? ;-))
I did the valve job and the compression still reads the same. Guess it needs piston rings. This cat is going to scrap. Glad I got it cheap. I learned my lesson, if it has wheels it needs to be made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
...cmon- undastand your upset ;-) but can happen with evry ride! some people dont do much maintanance and someone gotta pay the price- good luck anyway

21 - 29 of 29 Posts