Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to pick the brains of those who have used their Cargo Trailer to haul/camp in while on riding trips. I have another trip to WV planned in June and will be taking my kids/wife and dogs with me. However my cargo trailer 24' V-Nose is simply that....no thrills or frills. I will need to put AC in it for the dogs during the day, will have electric hook up and my trailer is prewired with a service panel. I have a generator box factory built into the side of my trailer that I have contemplated using to install a window AC unit in....I have looked at the portable AC units but reviews and performance for their cost seem to be an issue. Ultimately a roof mounted RV unit would be best....but not sure that's in my budget at this time. I have not priced that option as of yet.....I have 3 roof vents so I would have a location to install one if need be. I have no clue how to install one either. Please let me know your thoughts what you have done and what has worked well or did not work. Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
A guy on my off-road forum installed a small window a/c unit in his trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, Nice thing about having that generator cabinet is I would not have anything visible from the outside. I would think I would have to leave the cabinet door on the outside open to get enough airflow for the condenser....no big deal. I just hate cutting up a very expensive trailer....lol.

·
Registered
578 Posts
His trailer is an old, re-used cargo trailer. He's been rebuilding it over time. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is definitely not new but its a nice trailer. I have plans to build it up for riding and camping trips. AC is the first step, Figure once I spend my first weekend in it we will have more ideas for what to add next, cabinets ect.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: blast

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Do you have a walk in door? get a chunk of plywood that could be clamped over it and mount a window type to that. No harm or fouls to the trailer that way..

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Insulating and sealing the trailer is just as important when you are trying to heat or cool it, I had a portable unit 12,000 btu, it cooled my 16' enclosed, I only had 1/4" foam on the ceiling with reflective mylar layer on each side. I had to drill a 4" hole in the floor to discharge the heat the unit puts off and made a plug for the hole when not in use. The portable takes up space, if you can swing it, I would get a roof top installed at an rv place, but I only paid $400 for my portable unit, ten years ago

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to look into the roof top units today see how much they are. During the Summer aside from a few trips to WV my trailer will sit at my lake house and could be used as a bunk house and also a work shop to house a few tools ECT and work on my rides if need be. I can get a 15000 BTU window unit and install in my generator cabinet where it would not be seen except from the inside. Would think that size would do ok with insulation in the trailer for about 250 used from a co-worker.....only a year old. Roof top would be best but I'm sure it will be 800+ to install one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Keep in mind the RV units are designed for the road vibration and shocks while the others aren't. If you are on a budget look to salvage yards there are quite a few almost new campers that are sitting in the yard because of roof leaks or small accident that didn't affect the AC or REF units. Paid $300 for a DuoTherm unit last year and $450 for the Refrigerator. I suspect the AC had never been run.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I looked into the salvage option.... there were a few rv units in salvage yards here in NC and Virginia but they wanted 600 for the units with no guarantee they even work. I checked a few trailer sales places and between the added bracing and the unit itself I did not get a quote below 1200 this morning. Looks like the window unit in my generator box may be the most economical and not take up more interior space like a portable unit would. I can keep looking and if I find deal on a roof unit I may pull the trigger. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, listen better contact the repair service. What I can say you, that for forty years of my life, I have learned one thing, it is better to turn to professionals than to the Internet for help. I have just three years ago there was a serious problem with my air conditioner. Then I decided to fix it myself. But I broke it even more to the point that I even thought that it could not be repaired even in the repair. But to my surprise, the repair that my brother advised me, did everything quickly https://www.socool.sg/ . Therefore, I can safely say that it is better to trust professionals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, listen better contact the repair service. What I can say you, that for forty years of my life, I have learned one thing, it is better to turn to professionals than to the Internet for help. I have just three years ago there was a serious problem with my air conditioner. Then I decided to fix it myself. But I broke it even more to the point that I even thought that it could not be repaired even in the repair. But to my surprise, the repair that my brother advised me, did everything quickly https://www.subcool.sg/ . Therefore, I can safely say that it is better to trust professionals for aircon servicing.
I think you broke down more than your aircon when it wasn't going your way lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, listen better contact the repair service. What I can say you, that for forty years of my life, I have learned one thing, it is better to turn to professionals than to the Internet for help. I have just three years ago there was a serious problem with my air conditioner. Then I decided to fix it myself. But I broke it even more to the point that I even thought that it could not be repaired even in the repair. But to my surprise, the repair that my brother advised me, did everything quickly https://www.subcool.sg/ . Therefore, I can safely say that it is better to trust professionals.
Anyway, wish i could help, but I work as a mechanic, in the line of aircon servicing type of work. I am joining forums to learn about more. Been a tough year for me. I left a 7 year marriage and relationship. Ugly divorce. and I am just trying to expand my knowledge and online social circle for a start. Hope your problems go away soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts