Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in a while, been busy building a Defender but now the weather is getting better so hopefully camping soon. I'm getting kinda lazy and I don't like having to load my Wildcat up on the truck rack anymore so I went and bought a 24' cargo trailer to convert into a toy hauler/rv. I'm just drawing up some plans and trying to figure out how I'm going to secure it for the ride on rough roads and wondering what you guys are doing. I thought about E-track and I have wheel straps but once I unload it I'll have the table and chairs set up in there and I don't want to be tripping over them.

Another idea I had was wheel chocks that fold down flush but that will depend where the floor beam lines up and I'll still need something to hook in to. Just looking for ideas as well if you can think of any good ideas to add I'm all ears. The front also has a v-nose with a ramp door so I'll be framing that out to fit mine and my sons dirt bikes as well as a 4 pack of Trojan batteries.

Going to have to sell the old set-up to pay for this, fourth trailer in 6 years, I got a problem lol. Also had my dirtbike stolen last year while we were out in the SxS.

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The Etrack I've seen was installed flush with the rest of the floor. How thick is Etrack? Could you nail some guides down and use a router to get it flush?

Recessed D-rings don't stick up too far, but of course they aren't adjustable once installed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's 1/2" tall and seems like the most versatile idea. The floor is 3/4" thick, I guess I could sheet another 1/2" plywood layer. Have to think about this.

Edit: I actually just thought of aircraft cargo L-tracks I can get free anchors but I'll have to see how much the track is. Good for over 5000 lbs on the bigger ones:

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I just purchased a 20' cargo trailer. It has tie downs in the floor(used to be for para gliders) but I don't like it.
I was thinking about mounting some e-trac on the walls so It could strap my machines or other things down. Plus
when the SxS is not in there I could possibly make a bed frame out of uni-strut and attach it to the e-trac on the back walls so I could have an elevated bed that is out of the way.
I want to keep it simple so it's not a hassle putting 1 or 2 machines in or heaven forbid buy a CanAm or something

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Cool idea, but will the struts be strong enough in a few years?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would just figure out where you want the SxS to sit & install D-rings to the inside of front tires & inside behind rear tires.
I haul my SxS in my toy hauler with 2 ratchet straps X'd from front D-rings to opposite rear A-arms close to wheel as I can get both sides & reversed rear D-rings to opposite front A-arms, that allows the machine to move on it's suspension to absorb bumps. Made a couple 3,264km trips to Moab & back without a single shift (y)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting on my trailer but decided to go ahead and build all my window frames, cabinets and bunk bed in the meantime. I was just going to use sanded pine but with the Covid supply problems I ended up getting Baltic Birch cheaper....weird. I'm thinking the tongue weight will be okay once everything is loaded up just can't decide if I should build it so I back the Wildcat in and have most of the weight over the axles or if just driving it in forward will be okay.

I decided to go with e-track and laying 1/2" plywood down to keep it flush. Found e-track wheel chocks and wheel bibs on half price a while back and then the track went on half price as well, easy decision now.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would just drive it in, weight diff front to back axle is not that much & attempting to precisely back up a Wildcat is a difficult feat, at least for me it is!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You and me both haha. I can move the water tank fore or aft depending on balance, I think you're right.

If only the weather would warm up I could actually go drive the thing.

Sean

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have e-track on my utility trailer and it doesn’t stick up that high. Maybe there would be a way to cut a groove and flush mount it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts