Wildcat Forum banner

Carrier bearing replacement step by step with pics and color coded.

11K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jvanover5489 
#1 ·
I have been puting this job off, for like years! LOL. After researching the project, I wanted to put all the information I have gathered into one nice post. I tried to make a guide that is easier to follow then just the user manual alone. I'm a visual learner, so I color coded steps :). I just hope it helps someone out there tackle this daunting job.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Drbryanwalters, great first post and write up!!! I made it a Sticky.

Reactions: Drbryanwalters
#3 ·
AMENDMENT: I just tried it and technically you dont actually have to remove the left front shock or the upper A-arm. The point of removing those parts is to allow you to remove the long bolts that connect the front differential to the frame. Instead of all out removing the upper A-arm and shock, what I found is you just remove the nut on the upper A-arm bolt connecting the upper A-arm to the frame. The upper A-arm bolt wont be able to come out completely due to hitting the upper control arm/boot (steering arm) but thats ok... So what I did is after the nut is off, just slide the upper A-arm bolt as far as I could until it hit the control arm/boot (toward the back of the vehicle). This allowed the front half of the upper A-arm connection to the frame to be moved ever so slightly up. This allowed the differential bolt clearence to slide out.
:)
So much better then removing the A-arm completely in my opinion.

#5 ·
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. You did an excellent job of making it easy to follow and it will no doubt help a lot of people tackle this job themselves.

#9 · (Edited)
So update on the job, the bearing I bought is after market bearing, its beefier, and I am hoping that it will last longer then OEM... but I ran into a problem with it. The bearing is much bigger and when on the front drive shaft it doesnt let the snap ring get to its groove (see video). But it looks like its made so the set screws sit inside the snapring groove. I will just use it without the snap ring. Also since the cage around the bearing will be bolted to the frame it should be fine.. I will be doing the little optional mod with bicycle inner tube put around the bearing. It will make a little sound and vibration dampeneing layer of rubber between the bearing and the cage. Hope between the set screws, rubber, and cage the lack of snap ring will be fine. I will obviously keep you posted if anything fails during my abusive rides :)

#12 ·
Drbryanwalters, I need to give you a THANK YOU for this thread! I printed off a hard copy of your instructions to take to the shop before taking my carrier bearing out this past weekend. It made the job super easy! I followed it step by step and had it out in no time. Well done!

#13 ·
Just changed the carrier bearing last week. Any novice can do it, simply takes time and patience. Worst problem I had was getting the spacers back in place, especially the front. Ended installing it from the bottom up. This job at minimum will make you think of bad words. Simply follow the instructions posted here. The one tool that would help I did not have was a drift to align everything. You get a set of 3 at HF for cheap. You will need 3/8th and 1/2" wrachets and extensions. Don't think it is a one day job unless you are really good. My bearing had the wider inner race, so I did as others, tighten down the set screws as tight as possible, used silicone and zip ties on the driveshaft boots. No more noise as the bearing was shucking on the inner race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.