Wildcat Forum banner

Cat coming apart

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  slymer 
#1 ·
No, not the Wildcat, just the catalytic converter, and not catastrophically (yet).

The spark arrestor on my X would gather muffler packing over time. It became part of my spring maintenance ritual to remove the spark arrestor and clean it, much like removing clothes dryer lint from the screen. I pulled the spark arrestor on our XX a few days ago to check it, and a piece of the cat core came out with the spark arrestor. My converter has a spiral-wound crimped metal foil core, and a piece a bit bigger than a wine cork came out.

I'll be removing the rest of the converter core when I get home. I don't have the right tools with me to reach in and un-wind the core, and I'm fearful that any attempt to punch it out could leave pieces that might collect at (and block) the outlet. In my experience, you can't knock these metal foil cores out like you can a ceramic matrix core.

#2 ·
Click bait headline!! you had me worried there for a minute.
Happy trails.

#6 ·
Even if I could get a nice, clean cut through the depth of the cat core, the remainder of the core could just unwind into the middle and clog the cat. I don't think there is any real tension that would keep the remaining wraps in place.

Because of that, I believe these metal coil cats require cleaning out the entire matrix, and I'd rather wait until I'm home and have all of my tools available. I'm hoping to grab the inner-most wraps, then twist and pull the metal foil out the inlet (outlet is curved). Sort of like grabbing the last inch of a fully coiled tape measure and pulling it out the middle of the coil.

Failing that, I'll just use brute force to pound the matrix into clumps that can be pulled out.

#7 ·
Mbrandt mine was aluminum on a 16 sport, i was able to drill and get enough space to dig it out. After removing several pieces the outer edges came off fairly easy with small chisel and hammer. But it did take me a good couple hours to blast with air and retrieve the remaining little pieces. I pdrilled many times to create a void but the outer edges seperated fairly easy once i got the center broke apart. Very time consuming to get it all out of the inlet though.

#8 · (Edited)
Sounds like it was a metal plated ceramic core, which can look like aluminum. Those can be drilled or chiseled - they break apart easily.

The metal coil cats use a plated metal fluted strip that is then wound into a thick disc. The flutes become the channels for exhaust to flow through. The core is not at all rigid, so the tricks used on traditional ceramic core cats don't work. Chiseling just mashes the metal strips.

This obviously isn't an XX muffler/cat, but it shows how the fluted metal is wound.

#9 ·
The cats in the trails, sports, and xx’s that I’ve taken out all look the same. I drill them until there pulverized and clean up with a chisel. I’ve also cut the mufflers apart right on the weld on the end, removed the cat and welded and painted them with vht high heat black. Sweep up the cat put it into a bag and it’s worth between 5$ to 12$ Depending on the metal prices at the scrap yard.

Reactions: Dean
#11 ·
I drilled as many 1/2" holes in it as I could and knocked the rest out with a hammer and screwdriver. The real key is using a good telescopic magnet to get all the particles out. I didn't expect it to me magnetic but it worked great. Saved tons of time getting it all out

#13 ·
The xx’s I’ve done drill and chisel out nicely.

Reactions: Td84
#15 ·
Not trying to steal your post. mrbrandt1402. But for the guys that have removed the cat on the xx. How much louder is it exhaust once removed ?
[/QUOT
changes the tone, takes Some of the tinny whine out of it and makes it a deeper tone. Hope that makes sense. Smoothens the throttle response a touch also.

#17 ·
I was just saying my 16 sport definately was metal looked same as pictured and like sak said i drilled and chiseled and it worked great was time consuming but definately worked without having to cut it apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.