Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bored and sitting here wondering why you couldnt just ditch the clutches and belts all together and fab up a set of sprockets and a 530 chain...Why not? Leave the wet clutch and repalce the primary and secondary with sprockets...I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it would be stronger than a rubber belt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with a small in the front and a large in the back? I have a hayabusa buggy with a 14 in the front and a 64 tooth in the back...​

·
Registered
508 Posts
manual trans?

Reactions: hellbilly

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Even with a small in the front and a large in the back? I have a hayabusa buggy with a 14 in the front and a 64 tooth in the back...​
I have a tompro hayabusa buggy. mine has a transmission in it with 5 speeds. So the final drive radio can be fixed on the chain and sprocket. Shifting through the gears will change the speed of the sprockets. The wc has only high and low and cannot be shifted between the two while moving. To do a chain and sprocket on the wildcat would probably yield a top speed of about 20 mph.Not to mention the chain stretches over time so it would need to be adjustable. And I don't know about your setup but mydrive system is loud and yields an annoying reverberating mild vibration that gets on my nerves after about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for entertaining my boredom...I was thinking something like the old school go carts...Centrifugal clutch off the crank with a sprocket attached, going back to a larger sprocket on the back...Just a little beefier:

Auto part Technical drawing Automotive starter motor Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for entertaining my boredom...I was thinking something like the old school go carts...Centrifugal clutch off the crank with a sprocket attached, going back to a larger sprocket on the back...Just a little beefier:That equals a single gear or complete lack of a transmission, won't work!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
still missing the point. The WHOLE ENTIRE IDEA OF THE LATEST CRAZE IN UTV's IS THE CVT system. It's reliable, its simple, it's proven. The CVT is like having a 5 speed transmission without EVER leaving the engine's powerband.
Perhaps you're not understanding that all the wet clutch is is essentially the centrifigul clutch you speak of that, once engaged drives the CVT system that ALL UTV's have. If all that wet clutch did was turn one sprocket set and chain it would be like having a single speed gearbox. on Other UTV's like the RZR XP it is essentially the same setup as the wildcat except there is no interim clutch - once the engine is started the primary for the CVT is spinning. The difference between it is that it have not started to engage the belt when at idle, whereas the wildcat belt is always engaged and relys on the wet clutch to determine when the engine starts to engage the CVT system. For almoat ALL offroad applications the interim(wet) clutch is not necessary. It's just a nice feature at lower, more finessed speeds to have a better 'feel' of the gas pedal.
There is not enough power in any of the most powerful, most highly modified/turboed engines in ANY UTV that can make what you are talking about work for the applications that these UTV's are designed for. Top fuel dragsters get away with it because they have a nearly 4:1 horsepower/weight ratio(like 7700HP on a 2,000lb car) and a complex, progressive clutch system that engages over the the course of time until it locks on the nearly 1:1 drive ratio(it actually is exactly 1:1 until it goes through the rear end ring and pinion, which is probably a 3.5-4:1 reduction ratio).
To have a complex engagement setup like that in our UTV's we'd probably need like 600hp to have decent acceleration and about an 80mph top speed. not gonna happen

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Just need to have rode snowmobiles a lot and then it's easier to understand. Because it needs the same priamary thats on a snowmobile

Reactions: Foxfire

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here is the roller CVT in a RZR. you can see how the ratio changes as the sheaves open and close:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thank you for that. Sometimes a video its worth a thousand words. Hopefully the OP sees that and understands full why a chain instead of a belt is simply not going to work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
a sprocket and chain won't work unless you have a street bike engine with a clutch and trans in it.
Other wise you would never have neutral! LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also own a Drakart, tiger mini rail,its got a 750 gsxr 04 street bike engine/and a 5 speed trans, also has a Dan Roberto gear box for forward,and reverse, its geared at 4-1,so i am certain that setup would work and it weighs in at around 900lbs, so in Dumont you can go to a long dune, turn the front wheels over the top,and slde along the face of the dune for as long as you like, in either 2nd or 3rd gear, its alot of fun.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Oh, it works. I have a tompro type 1 with a1300cc hayabusa engine linked to a reverse box so I know also what is involved.
Chains stretch and would need a tensioner or other means of adjustment. Chains also break and sprocket teeth wear. And they make a ton of noise if not perfectly adjusted.
Oh, and what about 4wd?
If you want something with a motorcycle engine it it my tompro is for sale. $14k, come get it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts