Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XX is delivered with the original filter and Yamaha is using way too much assembly lube.
The original filter clogs with assembly lube almost immediately.
I cut mine open after the first ride and it looked like this....

IMG_20190124_203752148.jpg

This is the thread that inspired me to cut it open right away. Others have cut them open with the same results.
https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-xx/92015-anyone-cut-open-factory-filter-here-what-i-found.html

If you baby the XX during the entire break-in period you probably won't have a problem but if you get antsy and start running it hard you are going to run out of oil.

Either way, get that original filter off there right away. It is cheap insurance to swap out a $10 filter. You don't even need to drain the oil, just swap the filter and do the rest of the break-in with full oil pressure and peace of mind.

My second oil change was totally clean and the filter was normal.

Hollywood, make this a STICKY

·
Administrator
27,562 Posts
The XX is delivered with the original filter and Yamaha is using way too much assembly lube.

View attachment 241713

This is the thread that inspired me to cut it open right away. Others have cut them open with the same results.
https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-xx/92015-anyone-cut-open-factory-filter-here-what-i-found.html

If you baby the XX during the entire break-in period you probably won't have a problem but if you get antsy and start running it hard you are going to run out of oil.

Either way, get that original filter off there right away. It is cheap insurance to swap out a $10 filter. You don't even need to drain the oil, just swap the filter and do the rest of the break-in with full oil pressure and peace of mind.

Yes sir, done!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone cut open their second filter yet?
Yes I cut open the second filter after about 300 miles of hard desert riding and it was perfectly clean.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do the filters have a bypass in them? Mine came with a WIX filter from the factory.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ordered some oil filters (5DM-13440-00) based on the threads and after I pulled of my stock filter, realized the 2019 has a different filter. The 2019 filter is 5GH-13440-60. I had purchased an oil change kit and it has the similar size filter as what came from the factory. Just a heads up if everyone is ordering filters and oil separately vs the Textron oil change kit.

I haven't opened up my filter yet to see how it looks.
010.JPG

UPDATE: My filter after 6 hrs on engine / 45 miles on odometer. Not seeing any of the gunk in the filter.
IMG_20190424_1453195.jpg

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am switching back to Wix. My original filter was a Wix...the oil change kit came with the smaller Yamaha one.
Back to the larger Wix at 500 miles.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

View attachment 241713

Very nice post Sir. Super important find!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just picked up a 18XX and thanks to this post/forum I saved an engine!! Crap was caked in the oil filter housing in the block and the filter was plugged with only 2 miles!!! I scraped the chunks in the pic out of the block in the filter housing.....

IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’d post a picture of mine but it looks the same as the others posted. I changed mine with 4 hours and it was gummed up like these photos show. I’ll be changing the filter again soon, it’ll be interesting to see if the next one is gummed up like the first one. I sure am thankfull for this forum and all your info sharing. The information shared here is priceless, I’ve gained so much knowledge on my X and now on my XX. I thank you all for sharing!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts