Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just bought a '18 XX. Does anyone know of a replacement oil filter other than Stock that will fit? K&N, Fram, Mobil 1, Bosch etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I used a Fram xg6607. Their motorcycle specific is ph6017a.....and here comes the Fram bashers lol. Any filter made for the Yamaha Yxz is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the K&N, it’s the KN 204. It’s just easier to change being it has that 17mm nut on the end for easy removal. I bought an oil change kit from the dealer when I bought my 18 XX, it came with the smaller oil filter, not sure I’ll use it. It’s probrably fine, just concerning it has such a small filtering surface area. The K&N is under 13 bucks and for piece of mind I’ll likely use it on my next oil change.

Thoughts on on the smaller oil filter???

·
Registered
883 Posts
I like the K&N, it’s the KN 204. It’s just easier to change being it has that 17mm nut on the end for easy removal. I bought an oil change kit from the dealer when I bought my 18 XX, it came with the smaller oil filter, not sure I’ll use it. It’s probrably fine, just concerning it has such a small filtering surface area. The K&N is under 13 bucks and for piece of mind I’ll likely use it on my next oil change.

Thoughts on on the smaller oil filter???
I used the smaller filter for my first change since it came with the kit. No problems.
I did buy the larger Yamaha filters (2) with one currently in.

I wish everyone would put the hex nut on the end of the filters like K&N.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On my ‘20 XX, I swapped out the filter only after the initial 200 miles. I replaced with a K&N filter. Pics of the element are below. It looked good with no noticeable assembly lube or amounts of metal shavings. I think it’s a bit of an engineering fail to have to remove two guards to get to the filter from underneath. I guess it forces you to clean out the skid plate. Also, and at least with the 2020, it was easier to find the proper filter part number by searching the Yamaha YZX.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Our new XX only has 3 miles on it. Is that enough to have collected the assembly lube, or should I wait just a bit longer?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Our new XX only has 3 miles on it. Is that enough to have collected the assembly lube, or should I wait just a bit longer?
some will tell you to change it now, some wont..my early 18 had that gunk in the filter, my 18 ltd did not..for piece of mind, I would go for a short drive and change the filter..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I certainly would check it just to be safe. A $10 filter change is worth the piece of mind to me. Good time to buy a 4 pack of HiFlo filters.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Mark: Yup. The X cut short two winter trips in a row. A new machine and an extended warranty (so I don't feel compelled to take it home to fix it) seemed like a good idea.

sw99: You're right, of course. I've become accustomed to getting nearly all of my supplies via Amazon Prime, so when they now give me a delivery ETA of three weeks for a filter due to covid-19, it scrambled my thoughts. That and it is way more difficult than it should be to find the XX listed in the filter application tables.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
39 Posts
The XX is delivered with the original filter and Yamaha is using way too much assembly lube.
The original filter clogs with assembly lube almost immediately.
I cut mine open after the first ride and it looked like this....

View attachment 241713

This is the thread that inspired me to cut it open right away. Others have cut them open with the same results.
Anyone cut open the factory filter? Here is what I found...

If you baby the XX during the entire break-in period you probably won't have a problem but if you get antsy and start running it hard you are going to run out of oil.

Either way, get that original filter off there right away. It is cheap insurance to swap out a $10 filter. You don't even need to drain the oil, just swap the filter and do the rest of the break-in with full oil pressure and peace of mind.

My second oil change was totally clean and the filter was normal.

Hollywood, make this a STICKY
How far should you actually drive this? Should you just get it warmed up good and run around at part throttle to break it in then dump the filter? After seeing those pics, I'd worry about any high rpm fun...

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I had the same question, and SW99 summed it up perfectly: changing out a $10 filter buys a lot of peace of mind.

I've now accumulated a whopping 8 miles (I've been waiting for and installing accessories, plus WA and ID are fairly well shut-down) and will be changing the filter in the next couple of days, then again at around 100 miles. I think I will do the transaxle and front diff at that time to get rid of break-in debris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Tracker XTR 1000 a week ago. (10/2020) Production date is 05/19. Has anyone found clogged filters on the later production motors? Im wondering if they figured it out and corrected the issue on the line.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I just bought a Tracker XTR 1000 a week ago. (10/2020) Production date is 05/19. Has anyone found clogged filters on the later production motors? Im wondering if they figured it out and corrected the issue on the line.
I would do your break in on the belt, (25 miles) and change the filter. Better safe then sorry. 10 bucks won’t break you but it could save your machine from being broke. Then dump all the fluids at 100 miles.

Reactions: dspete05

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would do your break in on the belt, (25 miles) and change the filter. Better safe then sorry. 10 bucks won’t break you but it could save your machine from being broke. Then dump all the fluids at 100 miles.
Currently has 3 miles and .6 hrs. Bass Pro gave me a filter when I picked up the machine since i asked them about the concern. Agree, better to change it. Thank you for the input.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts