Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a clunking noise only when in four wheel drive? Recently purchase a 2018 XX that was built by RG. It had a few issues that I fixed. When I took it out and selected 4WD, the is a clunking noise coming from somewhere up front. Initially thought it was a bad CV which I checked out and replaced one on the passenger side. Noise is still there. Reading through the threads I saw a few things on front sway bar, seemed like everyone said it was more a rattle versus a clunk, and it seems if it was the swaybar it would make the noise always. I am hoping it isn't the front differential so before I go digging into that ... maybe one of the really smart people on this forum can point at something else. I am open to comments from the not so smart people also, so when you reply please let me know which category you fit into so I can take your input accordingly. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
not so smart here but we have a generic xx...if this was a speed sxs build i would give them a try via phone for any suggestions for you to check out...might have been something that had popped its ugly head previously with their builds...front sway bars can make noise but that would be in any drive (2 or 4 wheel) depending on the terrain you are riding over...wait for some of the guys on here that are real smart gearheads for a more technical reason/fix to your issue...we had similar issues with our two trails until we changed out to after market bushings that quieted those issues down...good luck with the issues...mechanical sounds/noises can drive a person cuckoo...ask me how i know?!...haaaaa

Reactions: LB#34Speed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a noise from mine as well. It has the RG 72" kit and 32s. I also have a 2018 that is bone stock so I can compare the differences. Mine has a "ting" sound and it had the " clunk" sound that comes from the sway bar and when the shocks hit full extension. I would guess that yours are from the front shocks. So here is why the RG modified shocks clunk. The OEM shocks had a spring spacer inside that was compressed at full droop. Between the sway bar and the spring spacer it eliminates most clunks. When you install a 72" or 77" kit the shocks have to be modified via the removal of the internal spring and an addition of a shorter aluminum spacer. The aluminum block spacer allows for more travel but it comes at a cost of the clunk sound. If you are not running the sway bar you can reinstall it and it will cut down on some of the clunk except when both tires are off the ground simultaneously. The other option is to add back in the spring, but be forewarned if you add the spring back in you will reduce the amount of travel substantially. The last option is to add on a limit strap. Shock therapy has a good kit that is a bolt on, however you really need to do some measuring before you get the strap part of the kit, as the 72 & 77 will need different strap lengths. My recommendation would be to order everything from Shock Therapy less the actual strap. Get everything installed, put the car at full droop then measure for the strap length. Remember, on average straps stretch 1" for every 12" of length. I installed the ST kit a couple of weeks ago with wet straps while the front of the car was raised. It stretched out the straps and then I had to readjust everything with the clevis adjustment.. Abracadabra clunk gone. I will drive it on a few more trips while the strap stretches and adjust when necessary.

The next sound I have is more of a "tingy" "clinky" hollow sound. Very similar to when you strike a piece of hollow tubing with a piece of metal. I know that it is in the driveshaft somewhere. I only hear it when I hit a really sharp edged bump. My car also has 4500 miles on it and I am sure that something is worn and needs replaced. The challenging part is finding it before it fails.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a noise from mine as well. It has the RG 72" kit and 32s. I also have a 2018 that is bone stock so I can compare the differences. Mine has a "ting" sound and it had the " clunk" sound that comes from the sway bar and when the shocks hit full extension. I would guess that yours are from the front shocks. So here is why the RG modified shocks clunk. The OEM shocks had a spring spacer inside that was compressed at full droop. Between the sway bar and the spring spacer it eliminates most clunks. When you install a 72" or 77" kit the shocks have to be modified via the removal of the internal spring and an addition of a shorter aluminum spacer. The aluminum block spacer allows for more travel but it comes at a cost of the clunk sound. If you are not running the sway bar you can reinstall it and it will cut down on some of the clunk except when both tires are off the ground simultaneously. The other option is to add back in the spring, but be forewarned if you add the spring back in you will reduce the amount of travel substantially. The last option is to add on a limit strap. Shock therapy has a good kit that is a bolt on, however you really need to do some measuring before you get the strap part of the kit, as the 72 & 77 will need different strap lengths. My recommendation would be to order everything from Shock Therapy less the actual strap. Get everything installed, put the car at full droop then measure for the strap length. Remember, on average straps stretch 1" for every 12" of length. I installed the ST kit a couple of weeks ago with wet straps while the front of the car was raised. It stretched out the straps and then I had to readjust everything with the clevis adjustment.. Abracadabra clunk gone. I will drive it on a few more trips while the strap stretches and adjust when necessary.

The next sound I have is more of a "tingy" "clinky" hollow sound. Very similar to when you strike a piece of hollow tubing with a piece of metal. I know that it is in the driveshaft somewhere. I only hear it when I hit a really sharp edged bump. My car also has 4500 miles on it and I am sure that something is worn and needs replaced. The challenging part is finding it before it fails.
The weird thing is my noise is only when in 4WD. Seems like the sway bar or shock would be always. This noise is when at slow speeds in 4WD either locked or unlocked.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Be more specific. Is it when you are crawling over stuff in 4wd at slow speed or just rolling along at slow speed? If it's just rolling along in 4wd it might just be the drivetrain unloading every once in a while since the front and rear diffs are slightly different ratio. If it is when you are crawling over stuff then it is definitely the front shocks. Mine clunk like crazy when I am crawling over stuff in 4wd and I assume it is just the fact that I probably couldn't climb over the same stuff at that speed in 2wd. BTW, I have no front sway bar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be more specific. Is it when you are crawling over stuff in 4wd at slow speed or just rolling along at slow speed? If it's just rolling along in 4wd it might just be the drivetrain unloading every once in a while since the front and rear diffs are slightly different ratio. If it is when you are crawling over stuff then it is definitely the front shocks. Mine clunk like crazy when I am crawling over stuff in 4wd and I assume it is just the fact that I probably couldn't climb over the same stuff at that speed in 2wd. BTW, I have no front sway bar.
It does it when going slow on a flat dirt road, when in slow in the rocky stuff, slow in front of my house on asphalt. I will pull the links on the sway bar this weekend just to eliminate it (I have a hard time believing that can be the issue).
Someone on another page thought lock pin inside the differential, if so glad I bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since I took care of my shock clunk the other noise is much higher more noticeable. CRWLR can you share more insight on the loading and unloading? Mine is really noticeable in 2wd going fast down hill with high speed compression hits. I believe that the drives shaft spins all of the time correct? I wonder if there is a universal joint in there or some sort of center bearing support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone experienced a clunking noise only when in four wheel drive? Recently purchase a 2018 XX that was built by RG. It had a few issues that I fixed. When I took it out and selected 4WD, the is a clunking noise coming from somewhere up front. Initially thought it was a bad CV which I checked out and replaced one on the passenger side. Noise is still there. Reading through the threads I saw a few things on front sway bar, seemed like everyone said it was more a rattle versus a clunk, and it seems if it was the swaybar it would make the noise always. I am hoping it isn't the front differential so before I go digging into that ... maybe one of the really smart people on this forum can point at something else. I am open to comments from the not so smart people also, so when you reply please let me know which category you fit into so I can take your input accordingly. LOL
LB#34, I’m having the same issue with my 2019 XX. It’s on the stands now and I’m getting into it. I’ll get back to ya when/if I figure it out without having to go to a shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disconnected the sway bar over the weekend, the clunk remains when in 4WD. I ran it on the street and it is very pronounced, when in the dirt it is less noticeable. Someone said it could be a bit of a difference in gear ratio between front and rear. Not sure about that. At this point I guess I run it and rely on aftermarket warranty if it craters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Disconnected the sway bar over the weekend, the clunk remains when in 4WD. I ran it on the street and it is very pronounced, when in the dirt it is less noticeable. Someone said it could be a bit of a difference in gear ratio between front and rear. Not sure about that. At this point I guess I run it and rely on aftermarket warranty if it craters.
LB#34Speed, IMHO you should take it in now before it grenades out on a beautiful ride and locks up with no way to get it back to the trailer.
I’m sending my front diff in for repair and professional Race Prep (Weddle Ind. CA). They tell me there are a few major issues with this unit and that if it breaks it could be a catastrophic internal failure. It won’t be cheap but it beats taking my machine into the dealership to have the same stock unit put back in, only to have another failure relatively soon. And I’m not on extended warranty.
I’ve diagnosed mine as having an issue with either the Actuator (electronic motor on the front diff to put it into 4WD or lock the front diff) or an internal front diff problem which doesn’t keep the diff in 4WD. This is causing the diff to bounce in and out of 4WD causing that nasty CLUNKING noise we have. That noise resonates back through the drive shaft which makes it seem there is a problem in my rear transfer case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Darn phone cut me off!!!
Continuing: Since I had just changed all of my fluids before the issue started it was easy to see that there was no metal debris in either front or rear units when I drained the fresh fluids with only 36 miles on them.
Just my thoughts for you all out there.

2019 Wildcat XX - Stock, 1500 miles, 85 hours, Fast Desert Trail Driving in northern Nevada.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tick Tock I guess. I will probably do the Weddle update too. But I will wait until I have signs of issues. Out of curiosity, how much is the race update with all the shipping?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tick Tock I guess. I will probably do the Weddle update too. But I will wait until I have signs of issues. Out of curiosity, how much is the race update with all the shipping?
I was told up to $1200, worst case scenario. But that would be if the diff was completely shot yet still rebuildable. More for a new diff plus race prep service. I just don’t want to wait till that time. The transaxle race prep service is around $1150 plus anything that may be broken inside.
It’s killing me but the weather is getting better and I’m feeling the need for speed ;)
I need to find a front and rear unit from a total or something so I can get those in to get reworked so I have spares. From what everyone is saying we will all need to replace them before Almost anything’s in our machines fail. If that’s the worst thing to happen I’ll be Happy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok. Thanks! And yes, the down time would not be fun.The weather is pretty good right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could be your shocks when they fully extend? If so, get some limit straps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out this past weekend, after the front drivers side half-shaft passed me going the opposite direction, we determined the front differential was blown. Hence the clunking noise when in 4WD. Glad I bought the after market warranty. Currently waiting on a callback from Coyne Powersports in Banning.
Thanks to all the Wildcat Members at Jawbone for the assist on making front half-shaft repairs and saving what would could have been a sucky weekend. Dr. Wildcat really came through with front CVs and the patients cleanup splines on shaft by hand in the dirt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Couple of things that come to mind. Are the tires on front and back the same size? Also, are you in loose dirt or hard pack / pavement? I do know they can cause a lot of popping and banging. I can't imagine someone would have put different gears in it front vs back but that would also cause the problem. Aside from a bad diff or transfer case, I can't think of much else.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had a front diff clunk a few times. If it's the same sound I've heard, it's a terrible sound. Like gear teeth are being sheared off. I've changed fluids to check for debris just in case but found nothing. It's happened in 4wd & 4wd lock. It's like it's not fully engaged or something like that. Since then I always try to wait a few seconds after I put it in 4wd before I start driving. It seems to help a lot.

Reactions: trkr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well with the front diff at Weddle’s getting their magic race prep package done, the XX torn apart and me getting bored again, coupled with LB#34Speed’s axle issue I guess I’ll learn how to rebuild the front axles to make sure I don’t have the same issue he had. So wish me luck and point me to a video I can refer to (I haven’t looked for one yet) if you’ve seen a good one. Think I’ll order the SpeedSXS steering box and bushing setup as well. Can’t hurt...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Let us know what weddle finds. I have dealt with them in the past and I have always had excellent service and results. Since you have the front end apart you may want to start checking for cracks in some of the misaligned tubes that come up from the center bracket towards the supports that come down from the A pillar. I had some substantial cracks that went all the way through some of the tubes. The front brace is a must if you are going to drive it hard!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts