Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2012 wildcat 1000 and was curious if my clutch was going out or if my
belt was crappy. When I put it in high and give it gas, it acts like it revs up more then it should (it still starts rolling forward but slowly) then it feels like it catches and then goes like it normally should. If it was a bad belt, wouldn't it slip all the time? Not just taking off? And do the wet clutches even break? I don't know much about these yet since I just recently got it. But I heard the wet clutches are junk. So ya of anyone has an idea that'd be great. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Wet clutch has like brake shoes that engage a drum. They can and do wear. You can also have problems with the drum. The wrong oil can cause problems if its not designed for wet clutch. The regular clutch has rollers. Dirt can get in there and cause issues. Probably be a good idea to take off cover to inspect belt and clutches. How many mile do yo have on it? Is it original belt? If not what did you replace it with?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Put it in reverse and move it! Do you hear the engine hit rev limiter? Time for a look at the wet clutch, like Patrick said they need oil suitable for wet clutch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys I'll take the cover off and check it out tonight and see if I can find anything that looks out of place. It has 1200 miles on it and the guy said he replaced the belt once long time ago. And i actually remember putting it in reverse once and it hit rev limiter for a second or two and was just barely rolling backwards, then it caught and went it seemed ... But just once right away before I took it out. What's that mean?

·
Administrator
27,668 Posts
Welcome Isaleeni. I agree with the other members. If it is on the original belt, probably time for a change, depending on miles, and use. When you take the cover off to look, make sure you keep an eye on the dowel pins, they are located basically at the 3 and 9 position on a clock. You'll see them, best to epoxy them in, so you don't lose them. They fall out all the time when you are doing clutch work. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Where you riding in water? may have got belt wet. If not sounds like the wet clutch slipping if it isnt the belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, wasn't in any water. I actually got this as an extra on a trade few weeks ago. If the wet clutch is slipping, what do I need to replace then? I'll take the cover off and stuff and see if the belt is shot and if it isn't ill check for anything that looks out of place.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the same problem. I would have bet 100.00 that my belt was slipping. Turns out it was the wet clutch pack and drum. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not but shortly before i had problems i switched to a wet clutch safe amsoil oil. A guy with a ton of AC expirience told me that i would ruin the clutch if i used anything but arctic cat oil with their wet clutch. I laughed. Well now im running the AC oil with my new wet clutch and drum. Better safe than sorry i guess but im still skeptical.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
No, wasn't in any water. I actually got this as an extra on a trade few weeks ago. If the wet clutch is slipping, what do I need to replace then? I'll take the cover off and stuff and see if the belt is shot and if it isn't ill check for anything that looks out of place.
If you need to get into the wet clutch you have to take off the cvt clutches and remove the back cover then cover to wet clutch. I suggest a manual and watch videos on doing a wet clutch delete. You dont need to watch after they show you how to get the wet clutch out, all will apply till they get it out then its beyond what you are doing

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
What the OP is describing sounds exactly like what the wet clutch does when it is burned up and slipping in the drum. It will act like a high stall torque converter, you will need more and more RPM to move until eventually it won't move at all, especially under a load up a hill.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The guys at the rental shop said they get wet clutches worn out maybe because renters are driving real slow and careful in high gear when they should be in low... they are also on and off the gas a lot disengaging and re-engaging the clutch. The tines or ridges wear down and so does the inside of the drum. Eventually the machine won't go. (but of course burning up belts (running in high) is still the main problem)

Here's a clutch that's been worn down:
2014-11-05_083212.jpg

Here's one with tall ridges that is still ok.
2014-11-05_083348.jpg

Oh yeah... where does all that worn metal go? Answer: into your oil and thru the engine and gears. A mechanic that had been to school in Thief River Falls told me the engineers are concerned about oil pollution on these units. My theory... changing oil every 300 miles is still not adequate.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree that a wcd would be a big upgrade. And i agree that clutch and drum partcles being spread throughout the whole engine is definately bad. But there are lots of wet clutch machines out there that are bullet proof reliable example yamaha 660/700 engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys thanks for all the help, I'll start on it soon as I can andpost and let you know what I find out. Probably won't be for a week or so but I'll keep posting and asking questions since this will be my first time taking it apart. I'm guessing it's the wet clutch all worn down cause it acts just like a high stall kit. My only question is, if I'm taking it all off, should I just not screw around and do the wet clutch delete on it then? Cause if it's worn down ill have to put a whole new oem wet clutch in it right?. What you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I dont know what riding you do but I really liked the Muzzy Wet Clutch Delete. It has better engine brake in low. You can go around 50mph in low. Mine topped out at 49mph. Better low end pull and all around better power through out. I now have a 4 seater with team clutches. I still have the other engine with the Muzzy WCD and when I get it fixed its going in the 4 seater as my primary engine

Muzzy is the budget end of the WCD if you want top of the line its STM WCD

·
Administrator
27,668 Posts
I dont know what riding you do but I really liked the Muzzy Wet Clutch Delete. It has better engine brake in low. You can go around 50mph in low. Mine topped out at 49mph. Better low end pull and all around better power through out. I now have a 4 seater with team clutches. I still have the other engine with the Muzzy WCD and when I get it fixed its going in the 4 seater as my primary engine

Muzzy is the budget end of the WCD if you want top of the line its STM WCD
Agree with Patrick. I have a Muzzy WCD, and my Cat rocks! Of course, it took a year of oil leaks and new parts to fix it, but now it will run with an X, so I'm happy. If you have the budget, the STM set up is the best, but that's more than double the price of the Muzzy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I saw that muzzys WCD kit was way cheaper then like the speedwerx WCD kit so I didn't know if that muzzys kit came with everything needed or not cause that speedwerx kit looked like it came with a lot more stuff but the muzzys site said its a complete kit so I'll probably go with that. And I don't do any hardcore riding, just around the country side with a few friends and I go out to the black hills couple times a year. Thanks

·
Administrator
27,668 Posts
Ya I saw that muzzys WCD kit was way cheaper then like the speedwerx WCD kit so I didn't know if that muzzys kit came with everything needed or not cause that speedwerx kit looked like it came with a lot more stuff but the muzzys site said its a complete kit so I'll probably go with that. And I don't do any hardcore riding, just around the country side with a few friends and I go out to the black hills couple times a year. Thanks
All WCD kits basically do the same thing. I don't know much if any about the Speedwerx kit, Fortune46x would, but he's been MIA for about 2 weeks. The STM kit is probably the most tuneable, but once you get any of them where you want it, it's set. The Muzzy is probably the cheapest, and if it works (meaning no oil leaks, but any of them could do that) then the Muzzy might be the best bang for the buck.

·
Administrator
27,668 Posts
What kind of problems am I looking at if I do the muzzy kit? I hear stuff like an oil leak ?
The Muzzy WCD is just like buying a Wildcat or Trail. Some members bought them, and never leaked a drop. Other members, me and JesseOwens that I know of, had nothing but problems. In fact I was calling Muzzy every name in the book on here 2 years ago, and I was talking to their product manager daily, giving him a piece of my mind, but I credit Muzzy, they redesigned some internal parts, sent them to a lot of members that needed them, and for me, that stopped my leak. Jesse was just on recently stating his started to leak again, but he thought it was the o-ring, which is a weak link. If you get a good working Muzzy WCD, you'll be shocked how fast your Cat will accelerate. The only negative draw back with the Muzzy WCD, is that it acts similar to the Team clutch. When you start off, and you are barely giving it gas, it studders, like the clutch is slipping, and you think something is wrong. If you step on the gas like you want to go somewhere it really doesn't do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts