Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use? Tried using a standard car compression tool on a buddies Can Am & it was too big. Didn't find much as far as spring compression tools for ATVs/UTVs. May need one for mine soon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Don't Need one. Shock springs will unload with the std preload threading on the shock.

Um, not the fox RC2's not sure what you are using, but I had three different strut compressors, one worked for the rears, but had to order another from amazon that fit in the front springs. Granted I was putting heavy duty springs in, but it needed to compress about two inches even with the pre-load all the way out.

http://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

this one worked good, you only need to use one hook, but it compressed 400lb and 600lb springs easily.

Here is the thread with pics of the new springs on the RC's (go to the end)

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...rc2-podium-fronts-2-5-rc2-podium-rears-3.html

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If not your springs are to long... Your rate nut should be able to be at zero preload with springs installed. Not saying that a spring a tad long wont work its just not the correct way to set up a shock.
this is correct....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't Need one. Shock springs will unload with the std preload threading on the shock.
What if you're adding spring spacers? For example on the rear with the SuperATV lift kit. I'm assuming the spring will need to be compressed to get everything put back together?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
im sure it will, but ill never add spacers to a sxs..im into performance not GC and lift. Stock application will be fine...with spacers..not sure..depends on howmuch room you have when u jack up the car and turn the preload ring to zero preload

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
On Fox RC2's for full size cat, the springs are two inches longer, 14" lower, 6"(front) 9" (rear) uppers. You will have to compress them. I know you have a sport, so not sure on those. Many dual rate springs are longer than a fully extended pre-load zeroed and need to be compressed slightly.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I understand. If they come that way then that's fine. But if you were piecing springs together for your own tuning. I wouldn't have done it. I know my springs are very close at zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts