Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been lurking here for a while, but since I picked up my XX today, I can officially join. I bought my friends 2018 XX full race rig. He competed in mainly NORRA Mexican 1000 and 500 events with it. My goal is to take a little of the hard edge "race" out of it and have a very high performing recreational rig.

It has the RG 77" kit, King shocks, billet rack, Davis radiator, oil cooler, cage work, carbon buckets, radios, sirens, lights, everything. I have raced desert for years, but on 2 wheels. Time to play on 4 wheels for a while.

So, this week I am going to start by removing the buckets that my ample birthing hips refuse to squeeze into and go back to stock for a while until I find a better option. The passenger side will be a challenge as it has the 23 gallon fuel cell in it. I have a full fab shop as part of my small motorcycle shop, so I will just get creative with brackets. I then need to clean up the wiring and make it cleaner. Then some noise control. The bed is out of it, as is a lot of the trim pieces and the firewall was replaced with aluminum. It buzzes pretty bad. Going to address each with sound deadening. I will probably leave the bed out and build a tilting rack above it for whatever I am going to need to carry.

The interior needs a lot of detailing and clean up. Brackets removed, holes plugged, some things rewired. Headlights reinstalled (I am going to try and make it fully street legal her in Idaho), plus add turn signals.

Let the adventure begin.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
sweet rig...welcome to the forum...enjoy your ride and be safe out there...keep the pics coming of any updates...

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
Welcome apseagle. Looks like you have a big job ahead of you, just like when it's converted from rec to racing. I would recommend looking at Simpson Pro Sport seats. Your hips will thank you!

Reactions: Built4Baja

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the options that was brought up by the previous owner was to buy a set of generic reclining seats from eBay. I blew it off originally, but now that I am thinking about it, it is starting to make sense. Since they have adjustable backs (reclining) and are only mounted via the base, like a car, it would make fabbing up mounts much easier. Plus, you can change the angle of the back for more comfort. The race jack is mounted behind the driver seat and it would make getting it out much easier as well as you can just tilt the seat forward.

Downsides: strength. Without the back anchored to a frame, I can see a potential failure point in the hinges after years of use. But at $400/pair, might not be a big deal to just replace every few years. I just blew my savings buying the car, so I will be watching my budget for a while. Good thing is with owning a fab shop, I can make just about anything I need rather than buying.

I will be selling the SpeedSxS carbon race buckets that are in the car now, and use that money for the project though. I have no idea what they would go for used but in good condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boise area. I love the Kellogg area. Vacation up there every so often. Do the Hiawatha trail from Wallace to Avery. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boise area. I love the Kellogg area. Vacation up there every so often. Do the Hiawatha trail from Wallace to Avery. You will not regret it.
Yep its beautiful up here, we have taken moon pass from wallace to avery a handful of times now. Good icecream and fly fishing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do they still have the sandwich shop in the fly shop? Love that place, would kill for their patio on the river.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of the options that was brought up by the previous owner was to buy a set of generic reclining seats from eBay. I blew it off originally, but now that I am thinking about it, it is starting to make sense. Since they have adjustable backs (reclining) and are only mounted via the base, like a car, it would make fabbing up mounts much easier. Plus, you can change the angle of the back for more comfort. The race jack is mounted behind the driver seat and it would make getting it out much easier as well as you can just tilt the seat forward.

Downsides: strength. Without the back anchored to a frame, I can see a potential failure point in the hinges after years of use. But at $400/pair, might not be a big deal to just replace every few years. I just blew my savings buying the car, so I will be watching my budget for a while. Good thing is with owning a fab shop, I can make just about anything I need rather than buying.

I will be selling the SpeedSxS carbon race buckets that are in the car now, and use that money for the project though. I have no idea what they would go for used but in good condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m also a XX owner here in Eagle. My car is set up for the desert as most of my driving is in Arizona. Suspension seats are a must IMHO, you can get them made to fit your build or look on Race Dezert for a bargain. Headsets are the only real way to deal with the noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going through it doing clean up. The firewall was replaced with aluminum and it buzzes like crazy. I am insulating the mounting points and strategically placing sound deadening on the bare aluminum panels. Then on to the wiring and switches to make it more "recreational" rather than purely race. Consolidating things, cleaning up mounts, etc. I swear building the cars and tweaking them is just about as much fun as driving them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice get.
I would race that thing and get another car for rec. Or keep it as is as a hard core prerunner or dez go-fast only car.
Kinda hard to turn them back.

Keep us posted if you bring it back to mere mortal status...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am going through it doing clean up. The firewall was replaced with aluminum and it buzzes like crazy. I am insulating the mounting points and strategically placing sound deadening on the bare aluminum panels. Then on to the wiring and switches to make it more "recreational" rather than purely race. Consolidating things, cleaning up mounts, etc. I swear building the cars and tweaking them is just about as much fun as driving them.
Congrats on getting the NORRA 500 winning car! I am also a NORRA 500 winner in an XX haha.

Are you interested in getting rid of the fuel cell and going back to stock? I can help you in that department if you're interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, no. I am keeping it as "race" as I can while increasing the "comfort" a bit. I am looking forward to having more than 10 gallons of fuel for the longer trips.

I have enjoyed your race videos and your car was one of the inspirations for me to pick up this one. I have spent the last 30 years going too fast in the dirt on two wheels, always dreamed of doing it on four. Keep posting your race blogs... Maybe I will get really stupid (after winning the lotto) and let you kick my butt in a real race. =)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, no. I am keeping it as "race" as I can while increasing the "comfort" a bit. I am looking forward to having more than 10 gallons of fuel for the longer trips.

I have enjoyed your race videos and your car was one of the inspirations for me to pick up this one. I have spent the last 30 years going too fast in the dirt on two wheels, always dreamed of doing it on four. Keep posting your race blogs... Maybe I will get really stupid (after winning the lotto) and let you kick my butt in a real race. =)
Copy that! I am really not a fan of that cell whatsoever but thought I would offer. I could really use the extra milage at my 500 mile race in October haha.

But thank you!! I really appreciate that!! Well let me know if you wanna come on down! But I suggest you take those number plates off, because if they ever make it back on....Things will never be the same again! haha

Also, check that front end over really good for cracks. Pull all the plastics and foot tubs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Copy that! I am really not a fan of that cell whatsoever but thought I would offer. I could really use the extra milage at my 500 mile race in October haha.

But thank you!! I really appreciate that!! Well let me know if you wanna come on down! But I suggest you take those number plates off, because if they ever make it back on....Things will never be the same again! haha

Also, check that front end over really good for cracks. Pull all the plastics and foot tubs.
We had it apart on Sunday replacing the outer lower joints. It seems there is a limit to their strength when a trophy truck runs over the front of the car. Rockrohr and crew did a great job setting up the car and strengthened all the joints when they built it. but thank you for the heads up, I will keep tabs on it. I am sure I will break something. I am looking forward to getting it out and learning how to drive the beast. Dick already installed a new clutch after the last Legacy race and he detuned it a bit for more trail use. He said the race setup was a bit "violent".

I have been pouring over Google Earth maps for some good desert and mountain loops to do. The problem with Idaho is that even the old logging roads can get pretty narrow and she is a wide girl. I would like to have a couple of 50ish mile loops for desert "Go fast" stuff in the Owyhee desert south of Boise for when it cools off, or a night run here and there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Started pulling the seats out and assorted body work to gain access to all the mechanicals. The build job looks fantastic. Just a bunch of detail work to do which was never needed for race environments. A few cracks in body work that I will eventually replace with used from eBay. Found tons of vibration noise generators that will be addressed. I think part of the problem is that he has the solid motor mounts added to the car, plus additional braces to the engine (all solid). I may end up buying a mount kit from 775 fabrication to get some of the vibration isolation back. But that is down the road.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts