Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
135 Posts
I just installed the 775 motor/trans mounts! They are very nice pieces and figured since my car is torn down and easy to access the mounts that it was a good time to get them. Also Tim at 775 was a great person to work with and got the mounts out to me quickly
Your not kidding about the width of the car with the Speed kits. Mine has the 77” kit,almost wish at times it had the 72” kit as there has been a few bushwhacking instances.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just installed the 775 motor/trans mounts! They are very nice pieces and figured since my car is torn down and easy to access the mounts that it was a good time to get them. Also Tim at 775 was a great person to work with and got the mounts out to me quickly
Your not kidding about the width of the car with the Speed kits. Mine has the 77” kit,almost wish at times it had the 72” kit as there has been a few bushwhacking instances.
How did the install go? I have so much to do on the car that I am hesitant to add anything more to the list right now, but it might be worth it for a recreational car to not have solid mounts.

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
135 Posts
Install was smooth and easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey aps! I knew Dick would eventually sell but surprised he did so before the new one comes in!
I built my XX alongside his team in his garage; those guys did some great fab work on your utv!
Here's a clip of yours in the first round of the nora 500 where he passed the entire field of our modified NA class all in the first stage, never to be caught back up with.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Hey aps! I knew Dick would eventually sell but surprised he did so before the new one comes in!
I built my XX alongside his team in his garage; those guys did some great fab work on your utv!
Here's a clip of yours in the first round of the nora 500 where he passed the entire field of our modified NA class all in the first stage, never to be caught back up with.
appears to ride like a hovercraft...smooth gliding above the course...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update:
I stripped out the entire interior. They made the rear firewall out of very thin aluminum sheets in multiple pieces to facilitate quick repairs on the fly if needed. Sadly, this made the noise in the cab from all the resonance unbearable without earplugs and a helmet. I am talking painful levels of noise. Not an issue for racing, but obnoxious for a recreational car.

I have a clean slate now. I am going to build a new firewall and center tunnel cover out of thicker aluminum with some sound deadening treatment. I need to get some sheets of cardboard to do a mock up and create patterns. I have a sheet metal fab tools as well as a heliarc welder, so I am trying to keep the flavor of a race car, but have it look good and be functional as well. The 23 gallon fuel cell is a beast to get out of there. It took some effort to siphon the fuel out of the tank as it was filled with foam cells to mitigate fuel slosh. Very hard to get a hose down into the fuel to get it out. I think I washed out a couple of acres of the Nevada desert when I gave her a bath.

I decided to keep the Speed carbon fiber buckets and just modify the driver's seat to fit my ample birthing hips. That was yesterday's project. The speed seats are a fiberglass core with a sheet of carbon fiber on the outside. I spent some time with myself wedged into the seat to identify hot spots where it needed to be massaged. Made some relief cuts, a little spreading, and new fiberglass layers to repair. Success, they fit me now. (Yes, I am putting myself on a diet as well). I laid a new sheet of carbon on the outside and will check on how they are curing this afternoon.

I also cut out the door bars that went horizontal about the level of the seat base. Pain in the butt to get in and out of. For now I am leaving the vertical B pillars he installed and will try and work around them. I like them there and the added strength they ad. I am reworking his window nets which are a home made version similar to RG units he sells. He used bungie cords as springs and needed a little technique to get closed and latched. I ordered some light duty gas springs and studied RG photos and will copy his opening and closing mechanisms so they will close with just a pull and latch on their own. I really like the safety aspect of the nets but want them easy to use.

My goal is to get the interior completed and the wiring sorted out before I begin using the car. The rest of my list can be done over time as the budget and time allows. I still need to finish building the trailer to haul it as well.

Immediate "to do" list:
Firewall and tunnel construction
Sound deadening
Thermal treatment of front cab enclosure and coolant piping going through the tunnel
Clean up wiring (no need for passenger to have a foot button for the siren, re-install OEM headlights, clean up wiring placement and routing, etc.)
Install turn signals (I am working up the chain of command in the Idaho Department of Vehicles to try and make it fully street legal)
Full chassis service (all fluids, etc.)
Full chassis inspection (It was raced, hard. I expect to find things that need to be addressed)
Rear luggage rack above spare tire design and build
Build tool kit and spares kit and find places to install them on the car
Make the decision if I need to go from the solid engine mounts to the set that 775 Fab makes. I will see how much my sound and resonance mitigation projects go first.

I will get some photos soon of the process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey aps, Do you mean the restricted OHV plates you can get in idaho that allow you to drive it anywhere but on the highway? Or are you trying for something different?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey aps, Do you mean the restricted OHV plates you can get in idaho that allow you to drive it anywhere but on the highway? Or are you trying for something different?
I want a full plate. I find it odd that I can build a car in my garage from scratch, put on the required parts and get a full plate. But if I do the same starting with a UTV frame, they say no. This is what I am fighting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
LOL, I am looking forward to using it when slower units wont get out of my way on the trail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A quick photo. Had to back her out of the shop to do a quick clean.

I am almost done with all the wiring clean up. Seats are done. Lighting is done. Time to start building a new firewall and center tunnel. That will take some time because I only want to do it once and want it to turn out really nice. Should have it back in the dirt in a couple of weeks to go out and embarrass X3s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Almost done with the new firewall. Should be finished tomorrow. Dad has been helping me making templates with cardboard. I think it looks really nice. I will treat them with sound deadening to reduce noise/resonance.

Getting closer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What is fun about this project is having dad help me. He is 79 years old and one of the OG's in the desert racing world from the late 60's and early 70's. He never really made a name for himself, but he was there, doing what he loved. Here is a shot of him in the 1973 Mint 400. The car is a Funco Wampus Kitty. Ironically, this is also the first car I ever drove in the late 70's before he sold it. Last I knew it is still floating around SW Idaho and was running the last time I saw it about 15 years ago. I would love to find it and restore it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts