Wildcat Forum banner

Cooling system questions.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  izom 
#1 ·
Let me preface this with, I’ve scoured every post I can find regarding overheating, coolant sensors, bleeding the system, etc with no luck.
16 wildcat 4x 1000. Someone had made a few mods to this thing before I bought it. One of which includes some sort of remote mounted breather or filter that appears to be plumbed from one of the coolant lines, into what I can best describe as a remote oil filter mounted on the cage above the drivers rear tire. From there it goes to a small breather type filter (think old school pvc). *see pics.
I’ve never witnessed any coolant loss but it’s definitely disappearing at some point. Prior to last week, most of my riding in the year I’ve had it was hot weather. 100 plus Usually. Never got hot until I took it to higher elevation, cooler weather. 70 tops. After a short 10 mile ride, it threw a code for aux fan and then a few minutes later went into limp mode and threw a 2nd code for coolant temp out of range. I topped it off with water and let it cool down. Made it back to the cabin with two stops to let it cool down. Now that I’m home and have had time to tear into it, I know this much. The left fan comes on at about 180. The right fan does not come on at all with the temp getting as high as 225. No blown fuses, wiring seems to be solid, and at 225 I still didn’t see any coolant coming out but the reservoir is empty and the lines seem to be too. Any idea what they’ve done To this thing and should I reverse it? And short of hardwiring a switch to the second fan, what’s the most common solution you guys have found?
Is the screw circled on the water pump pic the bleeder screw? Should I be concerned about the hole with no bolt in it?

Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Working animal Carnivore Dog

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Jaw Rim Sculpture Art

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Lukeschrade, the first 2 pics looks like the same stuff we used to run on Rhinos, for oil blow-by. Never saw that setup on a Wildcat though. If you unscrew the cannister, probably some oil in it. That was never a problem on Wildcars, so I'm not sure why the owner has it, unless there are other issues?

Fans should come on around 180, and 195 - 205. Make sure all your fuses are good, and check all wiring. Probably a good idea to drain and add new / fresh coolant. Check the radiator to make sure it's not clogged. Change both the front and rear diff, especially the rear. The driveline and rear diff are very weak. New diff fluid will help.

#3 ·
IIRC, from a LONG time ago dealing with an overheat condition on my 16X…..

There is a bleed screw on the rear cylinder head, drivers side. The manual states the coolant bleed procedure. Read and follow that!

No second fan is a problem. Either figure out why it isn’t coming on when it should, or wire an over-ride switch to have it run 100% of the time.

When I ran my 16X hard, I would run the second fan constant on. Fixed my overheat condition.

No screw belongs in that open hole, your good there.

Hope this helps!

C-ya!

Reactions: izom
#4 ·
I had a 16 1000 gt fixed secondary fan wire was broke and fan was junk ended up had to do head gaskets pulled it apart put a new set of cheap gaskets off eBay and no more coolant consumption :) hope it helps the job wasn’t fun put cameras on the back one on the exhaust one to see smoke behind you lots of info the engine will tell you if you use all your senses

#5 ·
appears to be plumbed from one of the coolant lines,

!!?? makes no sence if so....

LOOKS like its oil coolant lines !??

i would see to get the coolant system right into oem state - look at the diagrams in net-get the 2nd fan to work and that setup is good and works ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.