Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 572 miles on my Wildcat and rarely use the brakes as most of the trails I ride either don't require much braking or the engine braking is sufficient. Both of my front brake rotors are cracked clear through from the outside edge through and past the drilled holes.

I would like to see some of the new owners check their rotors immediately after burnishing the brakes as detailed in the owners manual and post up as to whether the burnishing process, by itself, was enough to crack these cheap rotors.

11-Front Right Brake Rotor Cracked.JPG 12-Front Left Brake Rotor Cracked.JPG

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Add me to the club.

My rotors cracked sometime after 500 miles..... I noticed cracks when I swapped paddles to dirt tires at 800 miles.

They are being replaced, under Warranty, at my dealer as I type.

My dealer showed me some incredibly nice rotors they had made for $300. However, I am looking for AC Corp (or their insurance provider) to share the pain on this weak link in these machines. For that matter they will be sharing the pain for the next 54 months of my extended warranty.

The bummer part is that the cracked rotors have to be tearing up the brake pads.... which are considered consumable and most likely not covered under warranty even though Arctic Cat cheap ass rotors, or weak link caused excessive wear.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Mine were covered under warranty as well but I fear they will just crack again

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Mine were covered under warranty as well but I fear they will just crack again
Even though I have the extended warranty i will probably install a set of Laser Larry's thicker rotors..

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
LASER LARRY has this rotor kit that he made for the wildcat. HE increased the diameter of the rear rotor and made an adapter for the stock caliper. HE supply new bolts because the stock ones don't have a large enough shoulder on them for the new thicker rotor.​
Attached Images

·
Registered
332 Posts
Does anyone not have cracked or damaged brake rotors on their wildcat? :confused:

Arctic Cat should recall this JUNK
they produced and call Rotors they put into the Wildcat.

I'm hoping that if enough of us share the pain with AC we can get a recall going. At the very least they need to be replacing our brake pads that are getting damaged due to the shit ass rotors when we warranty.

I know it's a strong statement.... but when the majority of Wildcats out there are dealing with this issue (and replacement brake pad money comes out of our pockets) AC needs to step up and take ownership for engineering mistake.:fingersx:

I feel bad for the owners who don't have an AC dealer down the street and have to travel to get this resolved.

Please, get your brakes warrantied before your warranty expires.... in hopes that you won't be having to foot the $330 (retail price) to replace your rotors after your warranty expires. -- The idiot brake engineers (or bean counters, or whoever decided) who decided to use sub-standard rotors at A/C are going to bankrupt our warranty provider!

·
Registered
285 Posts
There should be a recall on that garbage. AC failed 101 metal design common sense. There's no reason not to fire a few folks for this blatant shortcoming. Gotta wonder if the 2013's are the same.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
There should be a recall on that garbage. AC failed 101 metal design common sense. There's no reason not to fire a few folks for this blatant shortcoming. Gotta wonder if the 2013's are the same.
Even with their shortcomings they are light years ahead of Can-Am in metallurgy.. Can-Am has upgraded their spindles 3 times in the last three years and do not recall the older defective units.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Us too...

Yep me and "Wayneski" got the cracks too...gonna be in the shop this week for the "service bullitin" stuff. We plan to get this addressed along with the dirt leaks in the intake tract, oil leaking etc.

I'm beginning to think AC set up the Wildcat division as kind of a seperate entity so when it goes bankrupt it can be 'cut loose' without dragging the whole corp down the tube. Hope I'm wrong.

Ford servived years of really messed up engineering on their diesel pickups from 1998 to 2009. Bum fuel injectors, crap transmissions etc. I hope AC has the depth of reserves to absorb the cost of making the wildcat right.

My sand rail is expected to need a lot of attention since it is entirely "shade tree engineered" by me. But with the store-bought toy I'd hoped to simply do oil and filter changes and and park it. Oh well in for a dime - in for a dollar...
:nixweiss::nixweiss::nixweiss:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Add me to the list. I'm going to get them replaced while they are still under warranty. But what happened when (yes when) they crack again out of warranty??? Complete bullshit if you ask me. One piece rotors are destined to crack. We need a good two piece rotor with expansion rivets. I think AC needs to flip the bill for that though, not me.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I had to replace one today, not because of cracks but because it was destroyed when the outer axle broke. The rotors are a real pos...1/8" stamped sheet metal. I'm guessing a low carbon. The real disappointment is that they don't even remove the mill finish from the plate. They could of at least started with a little heavier matl and throw them on a blanchard grinder and expose good metal. I can buy motorcycle rotor blanks at a reasonable cost. I think I'll make my own set next.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Brake Test

I think AC will replace these rotors regardless of being "in warantee"...

Me and Wayneski are going down to Ouray/Telluride tomorrow (and test our new replacement rotors from AC) for several days of radical elevation changes.

By the way, the factory is saying they've done a couple thousand miles of testing on cracked rotors - supposedly they just keep working and don't disintegrate. (good to hear - that should keep the law suits down)

However, because of the many shelf trails with 1000 foot drop offs - I plan to drive real careful over the next few days.

PS...I have 805 miles and 75 hours on the machine...wow that's a 10 mph average speed...sure seems like we're doing 'warp 7' when were bashing thru the boulders, drifting the corners and burming off trees. Yep, it's all relative.
ScreenShot04310.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts