Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don’t think there is a problem with the WC crank. I don’t know for sure but by looking at those pictures, I would bet the manufacturer of that aftermarket clutch, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] never used all the spline area available on the crank, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]they most likely never made the clutch splines fit the crank spines tight enough 3ird The clutch was most likely made harder than the original crank, the clutch should have been made softer than the WC crank, so if there was a failure it would have been the less catastrophic part, the clutch . If the aftermarket cutch was looser and harder than it should have been it would cut those crank spines off like butter. Logic is on the side of my theory; because one crank has failed—and it’s the one with the aftermarket clutch not one of the hundreds of wildcats with the factory clutch. I to design and make new parts for a living— Ihave retrofitted hundreds of OEM parts over the years, Not side by side parts or car parts but industrial parts, I have had plenty of early failures when first introducing a change in a part, this is part of it, but I always make the customer aware it’s very possible to happen until the prototyping is done. I have warranted a lot of prototype parts. I am not judging the producer of this clutch for a failure before his part has ran enough units to be perfected but he needs to take the hit for this not AC.
JB

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
There are far from hundreds of Wildcats out on the trail. We won't know if there is a problem with the crank for another 6 months. I got one of the very first Prowler XTZ 1000s when they were released. There had been a few problems with that motor in the Thundercat, but they had been corrected. I was the first one to blow my head gasket. It happened my third trip out. I was told by many that mine was an isolated incident because the Thundercat owners had no issues with head gaskets. Well guess what? There was a problem with the head gaskets. Many people blew theirs as well. I'm not saying that this is the same thing, but I am saying its certainly possible. I think when AC put this motor in the Prowler they increased their production many times over. When they make changes like that they sometimes need different parts companies to keep up. Its possible that the crank in the wildcat is not made by the same company that made them in the Prowler or Thundercat. That is exactly what happened with my head gasket..........

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok at least dozens out there running. You are correct we won't know for six months if the WC will have problems. But I will wait until a problem is confirmed by time before I assume there is one. I may be wrong but I still assume this one crank problem was caused by a new proto type clutch that has had no testing to speak of. I intend to put a turbo on my cat, and maybe change the engagment weights or springs to the original wet clutch. But time may change my mind.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Its not a prototype clutch. It has been used since the Thundercats came out about 5 years ago. I don't know how many Prowlers he has out there running his clutch, but they have the same motor and clutch and are about the same weight. Plus he does similar clutches in other UTVs. I agree there is a strong chance that the clutch could have been a factor in the breakage, but AC may have also changed a couple things that we don't know about for the Wildcat..................

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
down here in the south trans and engine parts go to 350 below it harden parts stock car guys do it and it works

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Adam wanted the crank so it will be mailed to him on Monday. I am really curious how this all turns out you guys are not the only ones lol.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats "Rockwell" not "Rockford" and no he did not and isn't going to.

:)
Yup....that is what I meant....excuse me. I was doing billing, had taken several loads of wind turbine hubs to Rockford, Illinois to a machine shop, at the same time I was typing my question....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is almost no way the stock wet clutch is going to ever rip the splines off the crank shaft. It's almost impossible, unless they accidentally send a machine out with a rubber crank shaft splined end. The pressure from the nut would almost hold it in place without splines. Not saying Rabbit's crank couldn't have been a little soft, but it certainly wouldn't have happened with the wet clutch and the nut torqued on it. Just one guy's opinion, take it or leave it....

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You ate right bit hasn't this setup Ben used it several machines
How many is "several"? How many of the "several" are UTV's because ATV's will never put the same stress on the same spot, they don't have the weight or traction to do it. I can't even find a half dozen UTV's with very extensive searching on the net, maybe you should try it yourself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts