Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our winter trip got cut short with another stator issue. The cover is cracked, and the stator wiring has been severed at the very minimum. I heard enough clicking and grinding noises to be 99% certain that the stator has broken free of the mount and is being consumed by the flywheel, like last year. The rubber dust cap on the stator housing has a big bulge in middle where the end of the crank pokes through the stator cover. This is almost exactly what happened a year ago at Glamis with the original 2015 engine. This engine came from a low mileage 2016 and showed no sign of crankshaft runout when I assembled the motor.

I've found threads from back in the day when people were racing the 1000 or X and encountering similar problems. Someone thought heavy clutch setups made the problem worse, and I'm running SSI clutch arms full of magnets (84 grams). I don't quite understand how a heavy clutch setup would affect crank thrust, as the leverage of those heavy arms is contained within the clutch and not applied to the crank.

I'm looking for additional insights, hunches, etc. And if anyone has knowledge of a foolproof mod to deal with crank thrust, that would be very welcome.

Having this happen two years in a row has me thinking about alternatives to the H2 engine, or to the Wildcat X in general.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Click on the links in my Signature. There is pics and videos that explain everything.

This is a huge problem with the H2 motor. Our group had 3 stator covers crack and I finally narrowed the problem to the crank "twisting", or going out of phase. The 'pressed together' atv crank can't handle the weight of the Wildcat when you push it hard. We had crank problems in two 2012 wet clutch wildcats, a 2012 turbo wet clutch delete wildcat, and a stock 2014 wildcat X. The only real solution is to have the crank pinned and welded like they do on high horsepower 2-strokes. That was my next step. I decided to move on instead.

This is why I have built so many of the H2 motors. I got pretty good at replacing the crank. I still have a good wet clutch motor with lightly scored cylinders and I have new stator covers with and without the stator. Let me know if you are interested in any parts.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Crawlr!

·
Registered
47 Posts
"Crazy Plan"?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've learned that the heart of the "crazy plan" will take a few weeks to come into focus. I'll know how much damage the turbo motor has suffered by then.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to the Black Hills meet is part of our decision making process. Whatever plan we land on has to have us ready to go!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just bummed that I didn't tear it down and weld the crank when Crawlr suggested it last fall. I was ready to install the motor and coming up against a deadline as far as having it ready for our trip, and now that decision has come back to haunt me.

Assuming I get it fixed correctly this time (big assumption for an H2!), I don't mind the wrench work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That sucks bigtime mbrandt!!!

I am part of CRAWLR's group that always seemed to have an issue with the H2 on every trip!!! I just got tired of wrenching on the car after every long weekend just to keep it running! We do long desert rides/mountain trips, and the reliability played a huge factor for me. Although it never left me walking, it is not to say some trips didn't end up with a tow back to Camp! These cars are just difficult to keep running consistently if they are driven hard.
All in our Group were over-maintained, but the utilization of "quad parts" nets "quad results". It really is a shame; still arguably one of the best chassis out there!

Like CRAWLR posted earlier, he has a lot of good parts if you were to need them. Hell, half of what he has are probably off my 12'!!!

Good luck, keep us posted.

C-Ya!!

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Hey Mark, just hoping you and Dannie get it back together in time for the Black Hills meet this June. You guys were missed last year. May all your repairs go smoothly!!!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will probably pull the turbo and turbo motor and go back to stock for the short term. That might include the trip to SD.

Reactions: dspete05 and mtgott
1 - 12 of 12 Posts