Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by telling you that I've only got 30.1 miles and 2.5 hours on this machine. Needing to get my break-in hours i loaded up the cat after work to do some light riding. I got it off of the trailer and let it run for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up as it was a little cool out (50ish). I started down the road going approximately 20 to 30 mph when I heard a couple short squeaks or squeel come from the engine area, at this time I look forward only to see my tack drop to zero. I tried restarting it only to have it spit and sputter and backfire multiple times. I thought it may be this tip sensor that everybody's been talking about but I check that and All looks fine. I waited a few hours and then tried to restart it again thinking that maybe it flooded out or something, but no luck. I don't know what's going on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to hear. There's not much that can sour an exciting new purchase than this. Hopefully, it's a simple fix and you can be out having fun immediately.

·
Registered
253 Posts
on your speedo..
My cat shot a code when my rectifier was unplugged under my hood. There was two plus nither one was connected.

·
Registered
253 Posts
mine sputtered and died. The charging system was making enough power to run everything look under your hood
and see if that box is unplugged mine wasnt the only one.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hope that yours has come disconnected, Buckwild.......sure would be an easy fix. Here is the perfect example of why we need to post all issues in Problem and Resolution thread....would make things so much easier to find.Good luck with the solution Buck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope that youts has come disconnected, Buckwild.......sure would be an easy fix. Here is the perfect example of wy we need to post all issues in Problem and Resolution thread....would make things so much easer to find.Good luck eith the solution Buck!
Thanks fox, I hope it's a simple fix too but will definitely post the fix when it happens. I expect more out of this machine, real disappointing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are so many off issues from factory... It seems that there is not a good quality control at the assembly line....

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Could be the warranty code the dealers are supposed to enter before giving it to you. They didn't do ours and a couple others on here...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well good news, errr…. I think good news anyhow. The best part being the cat is fixed. Took it to the dealership this morning and they were quick to get on it, after diagnosing it they found the cylinders to be low on compression specifically the rear cylinder. Although the front cylinder only had 90 PSI. They found that the valves were not adjusted correctly and were not allowing the engine to start or run properly. They readjusted the valves back to spec and got both cylinders back up to 150 psi each. Runs great again. Makes me wonder if some of these "slow cats" need to go get their compressions and valves checked.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Excellent...glad you are back up and running........now, what the hell is the deal with the freakin valves being out of adjustment?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well good news, errr…. I think good news anyhow. The best part being the cat is fixed. Took it to the dealership this morning and they were quick to get on it, after diagnosing it they found the cylinders to be low on compression specifically the rear cylinder. Although the front cylinder only had 90 PSI. They found that the valves were not adjusted correctly and were not allowing the engine to start or run properly. They readjusted the valves back to spec and got both cylinders back up to 150 psi each. Runs great again. Makes me wonder if some of these "slow cats" need to go get their compressions and valves checked.
Buck, I don't know much about the specific internal workings of this engine, but I've worked on more than a few LS engines. Some things I'd be concerned about enough to ask...

1) When they say the "valves were not adjusted correctly" does this engine have variable valve timing induced by the cam and if so, is it a variable cam and how exactly did they "adjust" the valve timing?
2) Were the valves off enough to lash against the pistons during the compression stroke (e.g. the valve is open/down while the piston is compressing/up)?
Of Note: If either the intake or exhaust valve is open during the compression stroke, the explosion is sent out the open valve and does not create torque on the crank. Also, other concerns exist if the explosion is sent up and out the intake valve, like damage to the injectors, and intake manifold due to heat.
3) If they don't know "for sure" I'd highly recommend they open the motor, check the valves and the pistons for impacts.
4) If there was valve/piston contact, I'd require new valves and pistons to be installed and the entire intake system and injectors checked for heat damage.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts