Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Trail Red
Dealer had just installed a new battery.
I took it out and it worked okay until it wouldn't start and had the words NO FUEL on the display gauge. After much reading of the service manual...
Replaced the inclination sensor, ($98.00)
still no start. I cleaned all the conections and put dielectric grease on them.Put the trickle charger on the battery. Battery is fully charged. When I turn on the key I get nothing. If I turn it further, as to start the engine, the display lights up but only if I hold the key in the start position. I tried the syncronize with the accelerator in wide open turn on key wait ten seconds etc. No change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm just going from the wiring diagram and throwing out some wags here since the machine I have access to here is pretty torn down currently to do any real comparison testing here.

First would be to make sure all of the fuses and Relays are good and then that no wiring has been obviously damaged anywhere. Any place that looks rubbed and could be shorted/opened or melted anywhere are usually easy to spot, If you have to go digging into the wire loom then it's a whole other mess.

Check the Brake pedal switch and make sure that thing is working properly.

The Gear Selector Switch could be wonky so it doesn't know it's in Park. Could also try starting in Neutral with the Brake pressed, but I doubt that will act any different since the Gauge isn't coming on with the Key in the On position.

The Ignition switch On position contacts could be bad, if all the fuses and wiring is good, or the Power Relay, maybe try giving the key a wiggle and such with it in the On position to see if it shows any life.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Does the Fuel pump run when key is on? Does the Starter solenoid check out? Battery was just installed check around that area for pinched or loose wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2015 Trail Red
Dealer had just installed a new battery.
I took it out and it worked okay until it wouldn't start and had the words NO FUEL on the display gauge. After much reading of the service manual...
Replaced the inclination sensor, ($98.00)
still no start. I cleaned all the conections and put dielectric grease on them.Put the trickle charger on the battery. Battery is fully charged. When I turn on the key I get nothing. If I turn it further, as to start the engine, the display lights up but only if I hold the key in the start position. I tried the syncronize with the accelerator in wide open turn on key wait ten seconds etc. No change.
Update;
I turned the key on then used a alligator clip to by pass the solenoid and crank the engine. Engine cranks but of course doesn't run.
Now I am trying to figure out how to take the ignition switch apart or if someone knows a test proceedure...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't pull the switch apart unless you know it's bad, you'll most likely wind up with a spring loaded puzzle to put back together. If you're looking into the back of the ignition switch, with the 4 pin connector at the bottom of the circle, 3 of them should have continuity while in the On position. Top Left, Top Right and Bottom Right.

Check for voltage on the Ignition Switch connector also. One of those should have 12v on it. If there is no 12v on any of them, then you have a bad Fuse or a wiring issue to the switch.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
Try doing a search for wire splice corrosion. Some of the earlier Trails like yours had a power wire splice in the main wire harness that would corrode and cause problems like you're experiencing. I was having some strange issues with mine and found and checked the splice, but mine was clean. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was somewhere before it reached the shifter area. If I can find the post, I'll post it here for you.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
Go to post #29 and click on his pictures. It shows where the splice I was talking about is located. Error code UO155

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't pull the switch apart unless you know it's bad, you'll most likely wind up with a spring loaded puzzle to put back together. If you're looking into the back of the ignition switch, with the 4 pin connector at the bottom of the circle, 3 of them should have continuity while in the On position. Top Left, Top Right and Bottom Right.

Check for voltage on the Ignition Switch connector also. One of those should have 12v on it. If there is no 12v on any of them, then you have a bad Fuse or a wiring issue to the switch.
I took it apart, no puzzle. I have power to the switch and power coming out and traveling to the IGN fuse on the fuse block Also power coming out of fuse block with key on IGN fuse wire color orange/silver Also have power to the headlight switch

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
post #29 where?
Click on the link to the thread I gave you and then scroll until you get to the #29 posting within the thread.

Reactions: Sak kitty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts