Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys tell me if I'm crazy. It think it will fit fine unless it hits at full turn in.

For desert running, not sure I'd do this in Moab.

Thinking the Wildcat might just be the platform to run Mickey Thompson Baja Pros.
Its a 33/9.0-15 tire that weighs 37lbs. Much less than a lot of 14" Mud tires (some are over 50lbs)
Its a narrow tire but the diameter gives it a great contact patch.

This is a proven Bias tire, tough as nails.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
They used to make some BFG All Terrains in a 27 or 28 inch on a 15" wheel. I think they discontinued them though. Those seem a little big for the power the Wildcat has. They would definitely take the abuse though.................

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've got to go with dentless and FoxFire, they are too big. I would think a 30" or 31" is about as big as you'd want to go with a stock drivetrain.

·
Registered
791 Posts
LT195/75R14/D
25.5" BFG A/T tire with a weight of 30lbs

LT215/75R15/C
27.8" and 31.86lbs

LT235/75R15/C
29" and 35.77lbs

30x9.50R15/C and 36.77lbs

Just some other ideas.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Redman...Tim (WAYNESKI) (Denver) has a set of 4 of those exact 33's and wants to try them out soon...

·
Registered
182 Posts
We are running the 215-75-15 and love them. They track great and are good run flats. I went 10 miles at 30-40 mph back to the truck on a flat and the tire didnt self destruct even with a 4" gash in the sidewall.
LT195/75R14/D
25.5" BFG A/T tire with a weight of 30lbs

LT215/75R15/C
27.8" and 31.86lbs

LT235/75R15/C
29" and 35.77lbs

30x9.50R15/C and 36.77lbs

Just some other ideas.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Tim and I both got 15" wheels and are getting much improved "boulder" performance using 29" light truck tires.I suggested Tim swap to the 33,s and get together with you for a test ride this week while Im in the islands with the little lady. I expect report when I return next week. ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can't believe someone else finally 'discovered' the Mickey Thompson Baja Pros 33/9.0-15! I bought a set of 4 about 2 years ago cause I thought they'd quit making them like they have some other MT models. They are truly the lightest, biggest, deepest, most appropriate tire for lightweight rigs (if you have room for em.)

So here they are mounted with 4 lbs of air. I have not tried em in the mtns yet but just messing around the neighborhood they feel like there is no downside. Seems to turn fine (with the understanding that turning of any kind on asphalt with the live axle Wildcat is strange.) With the 30s on there turning on asphalt got worse and with the 33s, they make a howl plus being hard on the inards I'm sure. Power, gearing: seems the same as with the 30s; I believe the CVT at full stall is low enough. We'll see this summer how it does on ledges and at 12-13,000 feet.

DSC04852.jpg DSC04855.jpg DSC04865.jpg

And here is the comparison between stock, 30s and the 33s.

DSC04554.jpg

Redman, if you're that close to Denver, we gotta go try these out. PM me or I will you. I'm in Denver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yosh Tim, can you tell me more about your experience with driving on your flat? Take any pix of what it looked like during or afterward? Curt (Rockhopper) and I are looking for the perfect tire (might be the MT 33s I just posted) that does not go completely flat so we can drive out of nasty territory on a flat. Did yours go completely flat or was the load range C hefty enough to keep the rim off the ground so to speak?

The problem with driving on a real flat flat is that here's the stuff we typically ride.

Rocks we ride 2.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, thats the shiznit. I am in Utah for a week or so. Any chance you will be at Rally on the Rocks May 16-20?

I really think this could be a good solution. Everyone keeps telling me I'm nuts but its a super light tire, really strong and should roll nicely.
I would have tried the 30" version in second but it uses a 4" wide rim, can't find one.

Can't wait to hear how this works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gots to get that DEAD CAT BOUNCE....

Yes, Curt and I are coming to the Moab Rally.

With 4 lbs of air the measure HEIGHT of the MT 33s is about 31.5". Interesting aint it? They don't look like they are really flat on the bottom but the contact patch is huge (long)! (kinda like running a trials tire instead of a knobby on dirt bikes....huge (long) contact patch and literally twice as much traction as a knobby.) So when everyone is going to COMPARE TIRE SIZE, I think the only thing meaningful would be to measure the REAL rolling radius: axle to ground. ...pretty hard to do. So the way to compare is to chalk your tire, chaulk the ground where you start; get in the car, drive one revolution, chaulk the ground, measure the distance. This is the real circumference of what you're rolling on, what your buggy senses. Now to compare (cause the only thing these guys talk about is DIAMETER), compute the effective diameter, as opposed to how tall it's standing. Divide you measured circumference by 3.14 and that's your effective diameter.

We ride the nastiest rocks, ledges, etc that CO and UT have to offer. The reason Curt and I want big diameter is that they ROLL OVER softballs, cantelopes, even watermelons AT SPEED. With my 30inchers I drove the road pictured above at over 30 MPH; a jeep...any rock crawler...would push it at 5 MPH. With the 33s, I think it will be better yet.

Now that we have big tires, air them waaaaaay down. On the 30s, I was runing 3 lbs at 30-35 MPH on that road. The pictures of my 33s were taken at 4 psi. I'm gonna bet we run em at 2 lbs. The idea is to get the dead cat bounce.....like NONE...that's the idea. When you hit those big rocks, nuttin happens! They get swallowed by real DEEP tires with no air in em. It's a beautiful thing. Specially after 90 miles of that sheeeeit.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tim I would love that feel.
After bouncing through that crap in my RZR S too many times to count I was getting tired of it.
Do you think you will get to really try them before Moab?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes, Curt and I are coming to the Moab Rally.

With 4 lbs of air the measure HEIGHT of the MT 33s is about 31.5". Interesting aint it? They don't look like they are really flat on the bottom but the contact patch is huge (long)! (kinda like running a trials tire instead of a knobby on dirt bikes....huge (long) contact patch and literally twice as much traction as a knobby.) So when everyone is going to COMPARE TIRE SIZE, I think the only thing meaningful would be to measure the REAL rolling radius: axle to ground. ...pretty hard to do. So the way to compare is to chalk your tire, chaulk the ground where you start; get in the car, drive one revolution, chaulk the ground, measure the distance. This is the real circumference of what you're rolling on, what your buggy senses. Now to compare (cause the only thing these guys talk about is DIAMETER), compute the effective diameter, as opposed to how tall it's standing. Divide you measured circumference by 3.14 and that's your effective diameter.

We ride the nastiest rocks, ledges, etc that CO and UT have to offer. The reason Curt and I want big diameter is that they ROLL OVER softballs, cantelopes, even watermelons AT SPEED. With my 30inchers I drove the road pictured above at over 30 MPH; a jeep...any rock crawler...would push it at 5 MPH. With the 33s, I think it will be better yet.

Now that we have big tires, air them waaaaaay down. On the 30s, I was runing 3 lbs at 30-35 MPH on that road. The pictures of my 33s were taken at 4 psi. I'm gonna bet we run em at 2 lbs. The idea is to get the dead cat bounce.....like NONE...that's the idea. When you hit those big rocks, nuttin happens! They get swallowed by real DEEP tires with no air in em. It's a beautiful thing. Specially after 90 miles of that sheeeeit.
With that low of pressure, you don't think you'll get a sidewall pinched between a rock and the rim?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dream come true: The tire that NEVER GOES FLAT!

Gonna go try the 33's tomorrow at Spring Creek, that's the picture of rocky road above; plus it has nasty nasty big rocks and treat: the Rock Garden. Whoa...best test ever.

Socaldmax: No. See how 'deep' those tires are. Holy shit, they could collapse a bunch and never pinch. I mean they could but... I doubt they ever will.

BETTER GNEWS! Look at the MT 33s with the VALVE CORE REMOVED! Curt and I have been lookin for a lightweight BIG tire (to run 2-4 psi in) that WILL NOT GO FLAT when it's flat. We're home! So tomorrow I'll prob try running NO air on one or two of these babies. Then the only question is, will I break a bead? I bet not. Stay tuned.

IMG_1766.jpg

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Running it like above at any speed will take the bead right off with any side loading created by a turn is my bet. It'll roll right off, maybe even right off the rim LOL!

But hey, who knows.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I thought I saw a photo some where here -- the tire had a bunch of orange goo oozing out of a couple side wall gashes. Does anyone know of a foam that can kinda inflate and then "gel up"????

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just IMO but I'm in agreement with the other guys that is getting really heavy for the cat stock drive train and it seems there would be steering issues also. The cat already has a pour turning radius. I will prob go with 30's for ROR...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts