Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
when he put the pen part under the boot it keeps the throttle open causeing it to idle higher
Putting the pen spacer between the foot pedal and the ball end of the cable has nothing to do with the idle and does not affect the idle at all. That was just to give me more throttle. It is idling around 1,250 - 1,400 where it should be.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mbrandt1402 and Phatcat, I can rule out the stretched cable because as soon as I push on the pedal the butterfly starts to open and the TPS numbers move from zero up instantly.
Something bent might be a possibility and will be the next step as there just isn't enough throttle. My pedal measures 4 5/8" from floor to the top of the pedal. If anyone happens to be around their big Cat can you please measure the distance of your pedal for me please and thank you ?
Oh and Phatcat, the idle was only going up because the cable was too tight trying to get the WOT numbers to go up. Had to loosen the cable to get it back down to zero and the idle was fine, the only problem is the WOT numbers went back down to 55, lol. This is why I put the pen spacer under the boot at the foot pedal which brought those numbers from 55 to 80. Still short throttle though

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I had not visualized where you put the pen spacer prior to post #42. The spacer is decreasing the amount of movement or travel you can get out of the throttle cable if everything else is as it should be. If you thought things worked better when you installed it, something else is messed up and the spacer masked that problem.

Back in post #7, Phatcat posted a picture of one of the adjustment points. You replied that you adjusted it to the max and only got 70% TPS. I'm wondering if you adjusted it the wrong way. Back in post #16 you said the pedal moves a long way before it contacts the ball end of the inner cable, and that would be the case if you adjusted it the wrong direction. The inner cable portion of the throttle cable is a fixed length, so to take up slack and make it react more immediately, you need to lengthen the cable housing. Less of the threaded adjustment end should stick through the adjustment point and the lock nuts.

Here is a sketch to illustrate how the adjustment works. The cable housing and adjustment threaded sleeve(s) are in black, the inner cable is blue.
cable adjustment.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I think I was able to mimic the way you measured: mine is about 4 7/8" off the floor when fully "out" and about 1/2" off the floor at WOT.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Now here is the big question, is this boot covering the throttle cable above the foot pedal supossed to compress like this or not because this seems to be the only place I have any slack?
That "boot" does not compress at all on my '15 X Ltd. From idle to 100%, it does not change in length.

I retract what I said about your pen spacer. If it is the correct length, the pen spacer would be working similarly to the way the boot is supposed to, at least in regards to "normal" throttle operation. My guess is that the boot is there to act as a cushion in case the cable is adjusted too tight and the throttle plate is pulled completely open before the pedal hits the stop. Your pen spacer won't provide that cushion.

{edit} I don't see the "boot" listed as a separate part number, at least not on countrycat's website. If you can find a spring small enough to fit around the cable correctly and stiff enough to not compress until the throttle is wide open, you could wind it onto the cable like you did your pen spacer. Failing that, I would cut a piece of vacuum hose to the correct length, slit it to fit over the cable, then secure it at both ends with two cable ties. I think it would work very similarly to the factory boot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
That "boot" does not compress at all on my '15 X Ltd. From idle to 100%, it does not change in length.

I retract what I said about your pen spacer. If it is the correct length, the pen spacer would be working similarly to the way the boot is supposed to, at least in regards to "normal" throttle operation. My guess is that the boot is there to act as a cushion in case the cable is adjusted too tight and the throttle plate is pulled completely open before the pedal hits the stop. Your pen spacer won't provide that cushion.

{edit} I don't see the "boot" listed as a separate part number, at least not on countrycat's website. If you can find a spring small enough to fit around the cable correctly and stiff enough to not compress until the throttle is wide open, you could wind it onto the cable like you did your pen spacer. Failing that, I would cut a piece of vacuum hose to the correct length, slit it to fit over the cable, then secure it at both ends with two cable ties. I think it would work very similarly to the factory boot.
I will like you said make a better spacer than the quick pen body fix, lol. So your boot doesnt compress when you push the foot pedal down? My pedal would push down about an inch because the boot would compress first then would move the cable after compressed. I think the only way I can fix this problem is to take the foot pedal assembly off, cut the bottom portion off and weld it further away from the floor giving me more throttle range then fine tune the cable with the adjuster so that it just reaches full throttle when the pedal hits the floor, maybe even cut it back so the TPS is at 96-97 just because I do not have the cushioning of the rubber boot anymore and don't want to stretch the cable. This definitely is not the proper fix but it will work and most importantly I will have full range of throttle, from 0 up to almost 100%. I am definitely going to keep my little mod of the spacer under the rubber boot as I took it for a little ride to heat cycle the new belt and all I can say is the throttle is 100% better this way! As soon as the pedal is moved the rpm's come up right away (instant throttle response!)
, at 30mph the pedal is only about 3/4 down :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
oops sorry rio i got turned around my bad but if this helps my 12 and my 14x measure the same as mbrandt dose again sorry about that

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
oops sorry rio i got turned around my bad but if this helps my 12 and my 14x measure the same as mbrandt dose again sorry about that
Hahahahaha no problem at all Bamcat 12, thanks for measuring your foot pedal distances for me, that rules out bent foot pedal at least. I am out of options so like I said in earlier post that even though my pedal distance is within spec of yours the only way I can get more throttle range is by relocating the foot pedal ( cut and re weld further from the floor). and fine tuning it with the cable adjuster. Something is out of whack somewhere but impossible to find. Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Does your pedal close to within 1/2" of the floor (maybe as close as 3/8")? My guess is that it does not, and the pedal travel is limited by the cable adjustments. Get something close to the correct "boot" length on it, readjust the cable length and I'll wager everything will be fine.

Would you like a measurement of the boot, or is there enough left that you can work from yours?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mbrandt1402, the foot pdeal goes right to the floor, if the floor was further back it would be all good, lol. I can't go any longer on that spacer I made for under that boot because any longer and it pushes on the lead looking ball thing that's on the end of the cable which will engage the throttle ( rpm and TPS rise) . Thanks for your help, it was a good thought but I have to increase throttle travel somehow, moving the bottom portion of the foot pedal towards the seat is the only thing I can think of so far ?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Goes to the floor, eh? My intuition has failed me (again)!

I would suggest that you look back at this "journey". We all collectively failed to understand what the boot was doing and it launched you into what had to feel like an endless series of adjustments. Modding the pedal assembly just piles another change on top of everything that has gone before. If there is something else gone wrong that hasn't surfaced yet, modding the pedal assembly could be a permanent fix, or it might only mask the problem for a short time. Trust me on this: put everything back to original, or as close as possible since the boot isn't available separately, and fix the 'cat the right way.

Piling change upon change hardly ever works out - that is a lesson learned the hard way at the race track. "Just one more change" can be soooooo seductive, especially when the alternative (going back and setting everything to the baseline) feels like it will take more time to execute. With a UTV there is the added possible complication of a failure many miles from home or camp. At least at the race track there was always an e-truck waiting to gather up the car and get it back to my trailer.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Rio, there is a spring that retracts the foot pedal back away from the floor to it's "no throttle/idle position" Might that spring be the problem? Have you pulled the pedal back by hand to see if it can retract further than the spring is pushing it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Goes to the floor, eh? My intuition has failed me (again)!

I would suggest that you look back at this "journey". We all collectively failed to understand what the boot was doing and it launched you into what had to feel like an endless series of adjustments. Modding the pedal assembly just piles another change on top of everything that has gone before. If there is something else gone wrong that hasn't surfaced yet, modding the pedal assembly could be a permanent fix, or it might only mask the problem for a short time. Trust me on this: put everything back to original, or as close as possible since the boot isn't available separately, and fix the 'cat the right way.

Piling change upon change hardly ever works out - that is a lesson learned the hard way at the race track. "Just one more change" can be soooooo seductive, especially when the alternative (going back and setting everything to the baseline) feels like it will take more time to execute. With a UTV there is the added possible complication of a failure many miles from home or camp. At least at the race track there was always an e-truck waiting to gather up the car and get it back to my trailer.
Believe me mbrandt1402, If I or anyone else could have figured what is causing my lack of throttle it would be fixed the proper way, unfortunately when I adjusted the cable perfectly with zero slack and at 0% on the TPS, with the throttle foot pedal right pushed tight against the floor the throttle was only at 55% on the TPS and the butterfly was not even close to being open. There is nothing visually bent and there is absolutely no visual reason that the throttle cant be pulled open by the cable, with that being said, at this point I have no other choice but to modify to get full throttle. I even talked to an old friend of mine that had been an Artic Cat mechanic for years, he is at loss with this also. At least the spacer under the boot gave me an added 25% throttle because the boot couldn't compress soaking up the throttle.
I am not going to modify the pedal right now as maybe somebody can figure this one out.
I would really like to be able to find the cause and fix it properly

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Rio, there is a spring that retracts the foot pedal back away from the floor to it's "no throttle/idle position" Might that spring be the problem? Have you pulled the pedal back by hand to see if it can retract further than the spring is pushing it?
Just went to the garage to check, the pedal at idle is hitting the stopper as it should.

When you push your foot pedal down does the cable not move at all until that rubber boot is compressed? Thank you

·
Registered
964 Posts
Use a ruler to measure the full travel of the pedal; idle to the floor. I will do the same this evening and let you know the length. Not sure how it could happen, but your pedal could be bent.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Just went to the garage to check, the pedal at idle is hitting the stopper as it should.

When you push your foot pedal down does the cable not move at all until that rubber boot is compressed? Thank you
As I posted yesterday, that boot does not compress from idle to full throttle. It never compresses on my '15.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Sand-n-Sea, Rio's pedal movement compares very closely to the dimensions I provided yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Rio, there is at least one failed part that has been identified - what you call the rubber boot. Your boot is gobbling up a substantial amount of throttle travel. I established that fact yesterday.

I truly believe fashioning a replacement out of vacuum hose will be a durable replacement. I'll repeat my offer - I can measure mine if you need a target dimension for the length.

You really need to fix that part, re-adjust everything (I would suggest that you post a picture of how much of the threaded end of the cable sticks out past the adjustment nuts) and re-assess.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts