Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my cover today to check the belt after only one weekend out. Belt looks great. Decided to drill some holes in the cover while it was off.
I took pretty easy on the cat. I alternated between 2 and 4 wheel drive and low and high range. 6.8 hours and only 61 miles. IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1528.jpg IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1527.JPG

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Drilled mine as well and then left the exhaust tube off of it. I drilled 3/4 inch holes mostly along the top, since heat rises. Also drilled a few in the front and back of the case for a little flow maybe. So far no issues.......

2013-05-21 19.12.37.jpg
2013-05-21 18.57.07.jpg 2013-05-21 20.34.17.jpg

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but what did you use to drill your's out with Dentless? I know, a drill and a bit... but 3/4" - did you stage it with different size standard bits, use a Unibit or a hole saw?

RLW

·
Registered
686 Posts
his was a uni-bit you can tell by the steps inside the holes. a uni-bit will make it easy, use some WD-40 or cutting fluid and run the drill bit slowly on that cast aluminum to keep from dulling the drill bit. you can purchase uni-bits at home depot and lowes now. i have seen them at both. also fastenal and probably most name brand hardwarre stores.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Unibit - yes, I suspected as much. I know they have their place, but I've never been a big fan. Seems to have done a decent job though. I'm thinking I'll try a hole saw. I have a bi-metal set that should work dandy. Good point on the lubrication, Adam. I'll pick up a can of CoolTool before I do this. I might even pick up some cutting oil. :p

Thanks,
RLW

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a 1/4 inch drill bit and WD40. I started near the torx bolt holes and used 3 inch spacing to get started since the torx bolt holes are about 3 inches apart. I used 1/4 inch to keep any rocks from getting in. I am going to hit it again and drill at 1-1/2 inch spacing around the outer edges for more cooling around the belt area. I have also removed the exit tubing and I am modifying it to just be a 90 degree down turn. Again to keep rocks out. I also have a Safari 3 inch intake snorkle like you see on jeeps and land cruisers. I am going to mount it between the rear seat head rest area facing forward and plumb it to the intake side. No bildge blower though, I do not want the noise since I tote kids around in the back seats. I will post pics when installed. I ride the So. Cal. desert and Glamis so I am not worried about water getting in.

Reactions: pljeremy

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
his was a uni-bit you can tell by the steps inside the holes. a uni-bit will make it easy, use some WD-40 or cutting fluid and run the drill bit slowly on that cast aluminum to keep from dulling the drill bit. you can purchase uni-bits at home depot and lowes now. i have seen them at both. also fastenal and probably most name brand hardwarre stores.
This is exactly correct. Luckily I had 2 bits started the holes without using lubricant and the aluminum just melts into the bit grooves. Stuck the other bit in and used some WD40 and all went well. The Unibit makes pretty quick work of the job. I use them everyday at work to drill sheet metal and they really work well........

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I dont understand all of the precautions for drilling, its soft aluminum. remove cover, drill, wash, install frogzskins, put cover back on. its not complicated

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I dont understand all of the precautions for drilling, its soft aluminum. remove cover, drill, wash, install frogzskins, put cover back on. its not complicated
Sure, it's a simple enough task. For some, though, it's an enjoyable thing to take their time and fuss a bit, try and do a nice job and do it correctly from a technical perspective. Look at the nice spacing patter DJE1961 put in his - that took a little time to fuss with and it looks well thought out. I'm not saying it's any more effective or "better" in any way than just banging a few holes through - just a difference in philosophy. The lube aides in cutting and also protects the cutting tool from heat and excessive wear.

For me, it's an escape to the garage for a couple hours of me-time and I enjoy fussing over meaningless tasks because I'm no damned good at the complex ones! You'd probably laugh your ass off if I told you I was considering having my cover anodized after I drill it. LOL!

RLW

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sure, it's a simple enough task. For some, though, it's an enjoyable thing to take their time and fuss a bit, try and do a nice job and do it correctly from a technical perspective. Look at the nice spacing patter DJE1961 put in his - that took a little time to fuss with and it looks well thought out. I'm not saying it's any more effective or "better" in any way than just banging a few holes through - just a difference in philosophy. The lube aides in cutting and also protects the cutting tool from heat and excessive wear.

For me, it's an escape to the garage for a couple hours of me-time and I enjoy fussing over meaningless tasks because I'm no damned good at the complex ones! You'd probably laugh your ass off if I told you I was considering having my cover anodized after I drill it. LOL!

RLW
x2!!!! Anytime I can escape to the shop and work on the Cat, I JUMP on it!!

Couple of photos on how I did mine. Radial Arm Drill made it easy. Photos of Frogskinz(for those interested) also.

C-Ya!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I guess I spend 80% of my time in the garage. Seems like my to do list is never ending, tasks are added faster than I can complete them. Maybe I have too many toys

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two Monster Energy drinks later.....

O-K, I am done. This should let some cool air in and heat out. Thank God for Monster Energy. :cool:

IMG_1533.jpg IMG_1535.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow - you drilled the S--t out of it !
Looks great I'll bet you have NO issues with belt overheating. If you live in a dry area this seems a great option as well as with the larger dia. holes and frog skins to keep water and dust out.:cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I could say it was the shotgun with 00 buck. Sure would have been easier. I will let you guys know if I have any issues with dust or sand getting in this season.
I plan on pulling the cover after each outing to check the belt. I will probably blow it out with the compressor when I have it off. Do any of you know if the compressor air pressure could damage any parts in the clutch?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dang son that's some airflow right there! Though I will say I am jealous of that garage floor as well :fing02:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question on the Frogskinz though, if water was in the clutch case will those allow it to drain out or will it stop water from passing through both ways? Next trip home I was thinking about drilling my clutch cover to allow for some extra airflow, though that STM clutch fan on mine is a beast it never hurts for some extra insurance.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts