Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen some vids on what to keep on hand in your machine in case the SHTF. Several folks suggested keeping a spare drive belt... is this really a thing? Should I snag one? And where would you find a factory belt, cheaply? Thanks

2015 Sport XT

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Amazon has had the best price for OEM.

Unless your model has a spotless reputation for NEVER breaking a belt, I would carry a spare and the tools to install it. When I had my X, it got a new belt every spring, partly because it was so difficult to change away from the shop. It is so easy to change the belt on an XX, I just carry a used belt as a spare.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
We have a very early 14 Trail and have never blown a belt, put a new one on at 3500 miles because I thought I should, now have about 6000 mi and still no belt problems. I'm an old guy and don't push the machine extremely hard but we go everywhere we want to go including the Black Hills clowder the last few years. In my experience the Trail and Sport are very easy on belts and they have never been a great concern.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Like said above these machines are easy on belts but that being said why not have a spare and the tools to change it. Do it the first time in your driveway so you know what your up against.

Reactions: Dean

·
Administrator
27,869 Posts
Always carry at least 1 extra belt, and know how to change it so you won't have issues. I carry 2 spare belts, and I've never blown a belt. You blow a belt, and don't have a spare, or don't know how to change it, you'll be stranded.

Reactions: Dean

·
Premium Member
7,880 Posts
Amazon has had the best price for OEM.

Unless your model has a spotless reputation for NEVER breaking a belt, I would carry a spare and the tools to install it. When I had my X, it got a new belt every spring, partly because it was so difficult to change away from the shop. It is so easy to change the belt on an XX, I just carry a used belt as a spare.
we carry a spare belt so we can pay big bucks to folks like mark who have the tools/knowledge/expertise to change it out for us...we never ride alone without being accompanied by a master mechanic...as clint said "a man must know is limitations" and i know mine...that being said we have never had a belt go bad on us.........................yet!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve seen some vids on what to keep on hand in your machine in case the SHTF. Several folks suggested keeping a spare drive belt... is this really a thing? Should I snag one? And where would you find a factory belt, cheaply? Thanks

2015 Sport XT

View attachment 252952
Lol, I have a 1000X limited, I wish all I worry about is the belt, I am more concerned about getting 30 starts out of a new starter or not having it kick back a break the case, or getting 1500 miles out of a set of bevel gears.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I wish I knew with certainty why some people have problems with bevel gears. My X was still on the originals, at 5k miles, when I traded it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish I knew with certainty why some people have problems with bevel gears. My X was still on the originals, at 5k miles, when I traded it in.
Mine were destroyed at 1500miles, my guess it is caused by adding bigger tires with out putting in a clutch kit to compensate, the big tires change the overall ratio like adding a taller gear and that also cooks belts. My Prowler had 4200 miles on it and the bevel gears were fine.....but it had stock tires

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
The RPM the engine runs at would not affect the bevel gears. Not clutching for the larger tires had nothing to do with the failure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts