Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, do any of my fellow Trail owners notice any noise from the driveshaft when using 4wd? I use 4wd very little normally, but I noticed it some yesterday when I got in some spots where I needed it. I'm going to check it out anyhow, but I'm curious if a little noise is normal or I'm just being paranoid!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Check carrier bearing. I pulled the seal out carefully and greased mine and it helped a bunch.

Reactions: Dean

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I notice that when I put mine in 4WD, I hear/feel a vibration. I was going to check into some of the fixes that have been posted here this winter as one of my winter upgrades/projects on my machine.

Reactions: Dean

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took a test ride in my Trail yesterday and really paid attention to odd noises, and it's definitely the carrier bearing making the noise. It seems to me the best fix would be to replace it with a greaseable bearing. Is there a greaseable replacement out there? How much of a job is it to replace the bearing? I'll probably make this a winter project, along with some other things I have in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
There’s a couple of posts about it and I believe one step by step post. Front diff out I believe is the easiest way.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
As for bearing s and holders I don’t know who’s still making them. I think those posts have some replacement part numbers. I’ll do some digging tonight.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just reading the carrier bearing replacement procedure in the service manual. YIKES!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I was just reading the carrier bearing replacement procedure in the service manual. YIKES!!!!
Read the posts step by step it’s not as bad as the service manual makes it out to be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was/is a guy in Alberta making a replacement kit of sorts with instructions >> just google K-aus designworks. Its the one I used when I replaced mine >> it did help and I can grease the bearing to my hearts content but there is still a slight vibration when I'm in 4wd >> also, when I had mine apart I noticed the oring on the splined shaft going into the transaxle was fubar which periodically allowed the shaft to knock/ring during deceleration >> new oring and some antiseize and she is golden now. Good luck
Zak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts