Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am about to throw down for some paddles; the V-rolls to be exact. I am having some reservation though. I'm worried that they will bog down this huge machine and put more stress on the clutch. I am not going to be doing mods to the drivetrain until I exhaust the warranty - unless I get a great deal on a turbo :rolleyes:

So my question is: Would a mud tire or something similar (with 6 ply or less) be better? I don't need to drag race someone to the top of a sand hill, I just need to make it to the top. I'd like to stay on top of the sand instead of digging. Is there a brand/model that somebody, WITH EXPERIENCE can recommend? Back in the WAY BACK days, we used Wooly Boogers that did pretty damn ok. Just looking for a little extra bite.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and go with the Skat Trak Haulers and lightweight Douglas red label wheels. Affordable and lightweight so you can turn them in the sand. With the lack of backshifting in the clutch, you need all the wheel speed you can get. That is the wheel and tire that works best on Rhinos etc. with their limited power......

·
Registered
304 Posts
You should look into some Skat Trak 26x12 x12 Trekster carcass with like a 8 paddle extreme. you will definately want the lightest tire you can get.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I'm going with Skat-traks and Douglas wheels too. because they are a lighter tire and wheel.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think they are all correct. Although it would be nice if it was in a 14" wheel, just for looks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Douglas does not make a red label in 14" I already checked, I am going with the Diablo

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I am just going with the 12" douglas in the rears to start RPM. I am just gong to leave on my front knobbies for the first season. Just air them down to 4lbs. Listen to Warlock, go with the lightest set up you can. Its the only way you will get all the performance from a tire. Adding pounds to a wheel/tire combo will hurt you...................

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't run the V-Rolls, I personally think these tires are 1/4 of the problem we're seeing with the W/C in the dunes, just way to heavy! Skat extremes 26x12x12 7-9 paddle & I would run the tall smoothies from FSS on red labels!
This is just my .02, but I'd put a $20 on it that this will be 1 of the best set ups for the W/C!!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Douglas does not make a red label in 14" I already checked, I am going with the Diablo

I know, but I'm hoping they introduce one here soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm a fan of the Skats also. I have consulted with Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports for all the paddles I've gotten. I don't feel he has ever misled me yet.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright then. You guys have me sold on the lightweight, non fancy douglas with 26" skats. I was seriously moving away from the paddles, but this makes sense. Dent, I think I'll follow you on that rear-wheel only idea. May as well save the money for some Pitbulls on beadlocks for the Rubicon. All advice here was appreciated!

·
Vendor
508 Posts
VRolls on cast wheels killed our Wildcat. Looking into to getting our VRolls buffed and finding some real light weight 14in wheels and seeing how that works. Definitely some nice floatation with the VRolls, but they are way heavy.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Im either getting skats or stus in the rear on a 12" rl and the fronts will be something not sure yet ;p

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
That looks awesome! How much is that going to cost? I'm almost afraid to ask!
I'm waiting for an answer - I e-mailed Fullerton Sand Sports and they advised they'd give me a price sometime this week...Here the whole add text:

"Our friends over at Fullerton Sand Sports were invited by Arctic Cat to come out to Dumont Dunes to do some paddle tire testing on the new Wildcat 1000. This is my favorite setup that they tested. DWT Sector wheels (12" in the rear and 14" up front to clear the suspension and brakes) with 60/40 stagger cut STU Blaster in the rear and smoothie up front.

What I really like about FSS, is they are enthusiasts that test different options before selling packages to the public. They have first-hand experience with these UTVs in different locations and that makes the end product better."

From here:
UTV Guide Blog: Paddle Tire Testing for the Arctic Cat Wildcat

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can tell you that my Commander which had similar weight and power, made it more places in the dunes with stock tires aired down than with 8 paddle Doonz. I have Skat Track Haulers on my XP and they are lighter and bite way better but then again I have more power and less weight. So from my experience with similar power and weight, I would stick with stock tires aired down for now before spending coin on paddles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm a fan of the Skats also. I have consulted with Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports for all the paddles I've gotten. I don't feel he has ever misled me yet.
Yes sir Dave is awesome, but he does believe firmly in the STU's & I like you prefer Skats! I tried the STU's, non comp cut, from Dave for T-Giving & didn't like them sold them ordered a set of 9 paddle extremes from Benchmark which came from FSS ran them for NY's & couldn't be happier!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts