Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of mountain trail riding in the AZ desert and some of these trails get really friggen steep. It would sure be nice to have an EBS like Polaris has on their rigs. Some guys call them One-way bearings, others call them One-way clutches. They're generally installed in place of the center bearing in the Primary Clutch.

Have any of you found these for the AC 700 in the Trail?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
hey big-foot don't know what all your accessories are but our trail with the speedwerx secondary spring w/two teflon washers in low gear and not in four wheel drive has really been great on steep downhills for us...very little need most of the time to keep the gas peddle engaged as often as before...

Reactions: de3 and Big-Foot

·
Registered
424 Posts
I do a lot of mountain trail riding in the AZ desert and some of these trails get really friggen steep. It would sure be nice to have an EBS like Polaris has on their rigs. Some guys call them One-way bearings, others call them One-way clutches. They're generally installed in place of the center bearing in the Primary Clutch.

Have any of you found these for the AC 700 in the Trail?

Thanks!
The sprague bearing on the drive clutch is only half the investment, because you would also need a helix with an 'EBS notch' built into the counter angle ramp of the helix, as to hold the clutch in low gear and not allow wheel speed to spread the sheaves. - The driven clutch on the trail would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - so it sounds like I need to find the Speedwerx setup and I should be good to go...
Some of these mountain trails are so steep and long that coming down them at no faster than 10 mph would still get the brakes smoking hot.. I'm in the process now of doing a tear-down and inspection of every square inch of the rig in preparation for our migration southwest in October.. I will be replacing the brake pads as well along with all the fluids, oil filter etc..

Does MLS have the spring and teflon washers?

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
Thanks guys - so it sounds like I need to find the Speedwerx setup and I should be good to go...
Some of these mountain trails are so steep and long that coming down them at no faster than 10 mph would still get the brakes smoking hot.. I'm in the process now of doing a tear-down and inspection of every square inch of the rig in preparation for our migration southwest in October.. I will be replacing the brake pads as well along with all the fluids, oil filter etc..Does MLS have the spring and teflon washers?
i'd be surprised if they didn't...you can get the springs at a variety of places...you can get the washers at bikeman i believe...haven't seen them on ebay recently though...

Reactions: Big-Foot

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found another thread on here that talks about the Speedwerx spring but it sounds like it may be geared more towards Higher RPM and may cause lower end performance to suffer.
perhaps I should be more clear about what sort of riding I do.
Rarely will I get the machine over 40 MPH and even then, only for short distances along side a highway.
Most of my riding is at 15 MPH and below - with a lot of pretty technical rock climbing where I need really good control of throttle and clutch engagement.
My key interest in making any mods is to have better engine braking... Tapping the throttle while descending a steep trail is a bit unnerving for me as the driver and scary to my copilot (wife)..
What part numbers would you recommend for this?

I very much appreciate the input!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Speedwerx Secondary Spring does the opposite if you ask me. I feel like it has more torque low end, while gaining some MPH up top before hitting the limiter. Trust me, it makes a DRAMATIC difference in engine braking. It is weird to tap the throttle while going down a hill slowly, but once you get used to it you're good to go. You're not really giving it gas enough to leap forward, you're just basically bumping it and you can immediately hear/feel the machine slowing down. Best $50 investment ever. Get it direct from Speedwerx.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I was very impressed with the braking going downhill in low after I installed my speedwerx spring...........

Reactions: Big-Foot

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Fellas....
I just ordered them up a few minutes ago...
Thanks for the links Dean!

Reactions: DeanTeck

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks Fellas....
I just ordered them up a few minutes ago...
Thanks for the links Dean!
Get the speedwerx stiffer throttle spring also. We have the secondary spring with two Teflon washers and it seemed to make the car more jumpy on the throttle. The throttle spring gives you a better feel for the gas pedal

Reactions: mtgott and de3

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
We have done some nasty rocky downhills here and at HMT in WV….Speedwerx spring is the way to go….once you start to go down and get the rpms just right you just keep on the throttle just barley to keep it engaged and nice slow decent and can touch brakes if needed….if your rpms get too low and you start free wheeling a bit too fast just tap throttle enough and its right back. After a few downhills you'll have mastered and not even think about it. And it won't hurt, but only help in all other areas with power. Its way better than the stock spring for downhills. I usually use Low but have also used in High if not to steep also or your actually going too slow.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
What I noticed was with it in low, it would feel like it could come to a complete stop going down a hill. Now I don't go down any thing as steep as Big-Foot does, but I really noticed a difference between the stock spring and the Speedwerx spring. I normally run in High range, but it still made a big difference. Do like gunner said and you'll be surprised at the difference in engine braking.

·
Registered
315 Posts
am I reading this wrong? Sounds like everyone is saying you need a speedwerx spring to have engine braking? Perhaps this improves it... but the stock spring definitely has engine braking, just need to apply some throttle to engage it (which is absolutely counter-intuitive! lol... what do you do to slow it down?.... give it some gas! ugh! ) However sounds like the same thing occurs with the speedwerx spring. I would also agree that engine braking works far, far better in low range/4 wheel drive though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You really can't compare the engine braking with the stock spring to the speedwerx. I can almost come to a complete stop going down hill in low with the speedwerx spring. I could barely control the stock spring in the same situation. The secondary and throttle spring cost me around $80 shipped. It might be the best money I've spent on the trail as far as cost vs gain

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
am I reading this wrong? Sounds like everyone is saying you need a speedwerx spring to have engine braking? Perhaps this improves it... but the stock spring definitely has engine braking, just need to apply some throttle to engage it (which is absolutely counter-intuitive! lol... what do you do to slow it down?.... give it some gas! ugh! ) However sounds like the same thing occurs with the speedwerx spring. I would also agree that engine braking works far, far better in low range/4 wheel drive though.
from what i've read and been told if going downhill it's best not to be in four wheel drive...that's what we do with no issues...just use 4 wheel drive on flats where needed (mud/sand/etc) and going uphill...big difference in oem and speedwerx spring with the amount of pedal you need to give it while going downhill to keep it engaged...much easier with the speedwerx as it isn't as touchie as the oem spring...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
from what i've read and been told if going downhill it's best not to be in four wheel drive...that's what we do with no issues...just use 4 wheel drive on flats where needed (mud/sand/etc) and going uphill...big difference in oem and speedwerx spring with the amount of pedal you need to give it while going downhill to keep it engaged...much easier with the speedwerx as it isn't as touchie as the oem spring...
How come they say not to use 4-wheel drive going down hill..........

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
Yeah I don't remember hearing that before. I have had it in 4wd and 2wd going down a hill, I have to honestly say, I haven't noticed if it was better or worse as far as engine braking. Then again, like I said before, I don't go down mountains like some members, just small hills.

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
315 Posts
I see!.... and I have to say, the OEM clutch / engine braking works so poorly, I never even try to engage it - pretty much all the downhill sections I see are short enough that I'm happy to just use the brakes. If Speedwerx makes that better, (and you do a lot of downhill) then I'd have to agree on "money well spent" for sure. I guess the reason for 2 wheel drive on steep downgrade is you don't want any front braking, only rear? Potentially could roll end-for-end with front braking? (and no way to control front/rear braking with the actual brakes, so I can see where engine braking could become quite important!)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.