Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been answered I am sorry. I searched but did not find. Delete if needed.

How many accessories can the factory charging system handle? I see people with light bars, radios, whip lights etc. Is all that on the factory wiring/charging system? Just asking because I too want to add a light bar, stereo and whip lights. Thank you in advance.

2016 sport XT. Stock except for mirrors and grab handles. 27hrs on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On top of what mtgott said having a 2nd battery to run the accessories isn't a bad idea either. From what you have listed unless the stereo is a crazy one I don't see it being an issue assuming the lights are going to be led's.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe the output of the stator is 36 amps with 6 being needed for the machine itself. I have been working off of this when wiring my machine, estimating I have about 30 amps max.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Dual bats with a smart relay. put all the accs to the second battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I use the switched plug under the seat to power led light bar, lighted whips and a stereo(thinking ssv works overhead)?

A while back I bought these to help with the install(from reading a thread here)

[h=1]NOCO ISCC2 5-Way SAE Adapter Connector[/h][h=1]Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension[/h]

I think I would still want the whips and the light bar on a toggle but I still like the idea of a switched connection.

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
If this has been answered I am sorry. I searched but did not find. Delete if needed.

How many accessories can the factory charging system handle? I see people with light bars, radios, whip lights etc. Is all that on the factory wiring/charging system? Just asking because I too want to add a light bar, stereo and whip lights. Thank you in advance.

2016 sport XT. Stock except for mirrors and grab handles. 27hrs on it.
Nothing gets deleted except spam or duplicate threads. I don't care if it's been asked 100 times, so the next time will be 101. I can't really help with electrical problems, because I'm no good at them. I can tell you this, like the other members. A lot depends on watts / amps. I'll just bring up light bars, as I have both Rigid, and Baja Designs. The BD bar draws so much more than the Rigid, that I added an extra battery in the new car, much like suggested by Black Cat. Run your accessories off of 1 battery. And I'll add, IMO the Odyssey PC 925 is the best SXS battery out there.

Reactions: KAMZoil

·
Registered
800 Posts
Could I use the switched plug under the seat to power led light bar, lighted whips and a stereo(thinking ssv works overhead)?

A while back I bought these to help with the install(from reading a thread here)

NOCO ISCC2 5-Way SAE Adapter Connector

Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension

I think I would still want the whips and the light bar on a toggle but I still like the idea of a switched connection.
Could you... sure. Expect to have problems though.

The plug under the seat is wired for 15 amps and that's shared with the plug under the dash. How big is your light bar? My wife's single whip is less than 1 amp, I would assume dual whips would be less than 1 amp, but could be more, less than 2 though (I can't remember exactly what her whip is using). How many amps does the stereo pull? I have no experience with the stereos so not sure.

My light bar alone is 15 amps, so that would max one plug. In addition to that though, that would be maxing out the wires as well. I think the wires on that plug are only 16 ga. I went 12 ga on my light bar wiring for peace of mind.

Keep in mind, anything you share on a single circuit will not work if the fuse blows. So if you blow a fuse your radio won't work, but neither will your light bar. That could be an issue if you're riding at night.

Here's what I did. I have a Blue Sea fuse block mounted up under the dash. This is controlled by a relay that is triggered by the switch under the dash. This makes all of my accessories switched via a single relay. The only thing here is you need to make sure you're not exceeding the total rating of the lowest component (wire, relay, fuse block). I have my aux lights wired into this fuse block which provides a central location for the fuses and keeps the wiring clean. I also have a larger amp main fuse between the relay and the battery for peace of mind. I can't remember if this is 20, 25 or 30.

My light bar is then wired separate of this, but I wanted it so if I turn on my light bar, the headlights turn off automatically. I can't see the stock headlights with my light bar on so it's really an unnecessary power draw. This is a bit more advanced though.

It is smart to have your accessories switched so something doesn't get bumped and left on leaving you with a dead battery. You have to make sure that you're using the right components though or you can end up with a fire.

There is a wiring diagram posted in the stickies for this machine. You might want to look at that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts