Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2013 Wildcat 1000x. I put it on its side and after getting it back on the wheels, it started just fine. I drove it around for about 5 minutes before returning to my home about a mile away. As I made the turn onto my street (about 100 yards from my house) it suddenly shut down. It would turn over, but there was no power to the instrument cluster and it wouldn't start. I found a blown 10 amp fuse in the slot labeled EFI and replaced it with a 15 amp fuse (all I had around). I tried starting it and that fuse promptly blew. I bought some fuses and placed a 10 amp in and it starts up again - I started it several times. I'm hesitant to put the seat back in because I didn't actually address whatever caused the fuse to blow to start with. I'm waiting for some suspension parts, so I can't test drive it, but I wonder if anyone might have insight into what may have cause this.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
That goes everywhere: Injectors, ignition coils, fan relays, fuel Relay, gauge cluster, EPS signal power, brake pedal switch, tilt angle switch, speedo sensor, front diff actuator, and of course the ECM. Being that it's inconsistent I would point to a bad spot in the harness on that orange wire. Start simple. Set you meter to diode test (so it beeps) and have someone hold it on the load side of blown efi fuse (side that doesn't have power with key on) and other meter probe to ground, and start grabbing the harness near these components and shaking it and when you hear it beep start carefully going over it and the above mentioned component connections for damage and bare spots in that area once you got in narrowed down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking time ARG! I have a Klein MM400, but have only used it to check for voltage. I'll look around to see if I can find a diode test setting. Is that for continuity?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Yup diode testing is nothing more than the lowest setting on continuity (the little horseshoe) that beeps when there's good continuity. You don't need the "beep" just easier to find a short than watching the numbers. If you're blowing a 15A fuse there's <1 ohm continuity to ground so that's what you want to see. You'll see some high resistance to ground running through all the sensors/components normally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. I started it a few times today and went around grabbing and shaking and prodding everything electrical I could find. With my luck, whatever it is will be tucked away in the absolute most difficult place to access. Thanks for your help ARG, I'd be lost and much less likely to keep working on this without it...much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts