Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum wold but I was wondering if anyone has put radio or lights or anything on their trail yet and if you need a second battery or not. I got a head unit. 1000 watt amp n 2 kicker comp speakers for mine working on hooking up now. But I'm worried about the charging system, if it will hold up. I plan on doing LEDs eventually too so I'm thinking I'm either gonna having to upgrade or add one when I do. Hoping stock charging system will hold up until then

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum wold but I was wondering if anyone has put radio or lights or anything on their trail yet and if you need a second battery or not. I got a head unit. 1000 watt amp n 2 kicker comp speakers for mine working on hooking up now. But I'm worried about the charging system, if it will hold up. I plan on doing LEDs eventually too so I'm thinking I'm either gonna having to upgrade or add one when I do. Hoping stock charging system will hold up until then
If im not correct i think the trail has a 36 amp generator/alternator so your amp would only be a problem if it was a power hog (poor efficiency or use high amps. all amps are different.The amp will have it listed on it ) and you were loaded up with lights and using the winch constantly, It might over time sulfate the battery (turn the battery acid to water) from all the discharging without enough recharging. Im looking at going to LED lights just for the brighter lights with a extremely low amp draw compared to standard bulbs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I installed everything n cranked the radio with the high beams on and the Volts meter didn't change much. I think I'll be ok with what I got for now until I do LEDs and a winch then ill deff go dual batteries with a isolator just to be safe. But thanks for the info!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well I installed everything n cranked the radio with the high beams on and the Volts meter didn't change much. I think I'll be ok with what I got for now until I do LEDs and a winch then ill deff go dual batteries with a isolator just to be safe. But thanks for the info!
Amps and Volts are measured differently the volt meter will still show the alternator charging at 13.2V but you would have to have an amp clamp or a multi meter in line with the + lead at the battery that could measure more than 10 amps (most multi meters have a 10A fuse in them and can be costly to replace them if you dont hook it up right) to truly see what your system is drawing for power. A quick reference would be to see how big the fuse in the AMP is (2 20A or a 30A is common in the amp) and you will have a good idea of how much power the amp is capable of drawing on your system. But you are right it is probably ok for now and the LEDs should add only an amp of draw unless you go majorly big and even then its still less than a standard bulb.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's true. Thanks for all the info/input! Very helpful. I was thinking of just get a deep cycle battery for now then maybe once they come out with a dual battery tray I'll go that route with a isolator just to be safe. I would rather be safe then sorry in most cases where I ride is a long way from civilization! Haha. Then ill just use the stock battery for my acc n the deep cycle for the starter. Think that'll work or do you have any better ideas? Haha I'm not too good with the whole electrical numbers, although I am pretty sure the amp has a 30amp fuse and the headin it has a 15. Then I have all intent on a couple small LEDs. And a winch.

·
Registered
436 Posts
With a 25 amp fuse that amp is most likely pulling less than 20 amps and on medium volume it would be closer to 15 amps. So you should be fine. And a deep cycle might work for long winching periods but you also have to remember that it would need almost double the recharge period or you will only be doing a surface charge (deep cycle = long discharge +long recharge) also can you get a deep cycle in a power sport size battery. Dual batteries would be best for extended winching IMO.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Artman are you going to replace your factory headlight bulbs with leds?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Artman are you going to replace your factory headlight bulbs with leds?
these are what i have ordered in. should be in pretty quick ill take photos of the difference.
2X 80W CREE White H4 High Power LED 12V 24V DRL Daytime Running Low Beam Accent | eBay for low beams
plus i have 2X http://www.ebay.com/itm/231163750943?item=231163750943&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
and 1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/261404247811?item=261404247811&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160&vxp=mtr all together for high beams

·
Registered
473 Posts
Awesome keep me posted I'm more interested in just the bulb replacement for now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The LED H4 headlights came in, and i got the one installed to see what the difference is. Here is a pic of the 2 different bulbs in the shop, Ill have to wait till it gets dark out to see the true difference, they seem close for light output but the LED is a much brighter white so it might appear brighter. And the LEDs do work on high and low. Just have to wait for my front bumper and my 7 inch LED. IMG_20140322_140244_517.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is kinda a crap pic since the Trail was on my trailer behind the truck but it might give some idea of how much the difference is in the lights. Ill try to get a better pic with it off the trailer. IMG_20140322_214915_950.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts