Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EPS cracked open

I removed the worm gear from the EPS . I hope this will be a good low cost repair. There may be some harsh feedback. Don't know till you try.
I removed the worm.

IMG_20170507_175114599.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No feedback or bumpsteer. no friction in the EPS anymore.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a lot of grit on that. Wonder if mine looks that bad.
I had to pry hard to get that puppy out. there wasn't any dirt or water intrusion. That stuff is ground plastic gear from using an EPS that doesn't work.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this can be done without removing the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Not cheap but get rid of the under hood winch and the steering cable. That is the fix.
The winch is a lifesaver. The flex should be replaced but it isn't to bad now.
What exactly does that worm gear do. And what would the side effects of removing it be? How's it working with it out?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What exactly does that worm gear do. And what would the side effects of removing it be? How's it working with it out?
So far just free wheeling the gearbox. In other words getting ride of power steering. The input shaft is directly connected to the output shaft with a big gear between them the worm gear is connected to a motor that helps turn the steering. I just pulled out the wormgear assembly and reinstalled the motor to keep dirt and water out. I drove mine thru some rough stuff and zero kickback. Even my wife drove it and said it was good for her too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Im not saying lose the winch. I am saying get a bumper mount instead of under hood. Way better setup. The cable angle won't be as bad. Cable delete is best.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not saying lose the winch. I am saying get a bumper mount instead of under hood. Way better setup. The cable angle won't be as bad. Cable delete is best.
My cable has never given me trouble at all. I see where your going and I thought that too when I installed it. I think the bumpers are in the way(approach angle), after all the frame sticks out farther than anything else.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I'd like to hear how well it works for you -- not having power steering.

I drove a Wildcat Trail without power steering in the rocks (30" tires) My arms and wrists were hurting after half a mile, the rocks trying to jerk the wheel outa my hands --- turned around and gave the machine back to its owner... ha! :33:

Reactions: izom

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be riding very rocky terrain this weekend. I'll update.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rode this weekend with my freewheeling EPS. I am very happy with it. The only time steering my was real hard was at rest in dry dirt. A slight move forward or backward it was fine to steer. Rolling along I could one hand it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is very interesting. My power unit has gone out and steering is stiff all the time. I did put MLS steering rack slides. Not real happy to spend $1300 for power steering unit. So how has this been for you?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My only gripe is the slider assembly binds , I always have to clean it and lube it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well it's out. Maybe ride this weekend. Can't say it's any worse than it was. Just don't feel like dropping $1200 on something I was never happy with hopefully someone will make a better bolt in replacement soon. Thanks for the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me Know? what ya think. I just had to lube and clean all my steering this past weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts