Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we just got back from Glamis this weekend. We spent a week out there with 2 Wildcats. They were demos with 1200 miles on them - one ran good, but one was running very poorly. We spent almost a day trying to get the one to run better but eventually gave up. It just wouldn't pull any rpm. We wanted to leave one stock as a comparison as we made changes to the other, but we had to scrap that plan.

First, the wet clutch is definitely a weak point. With a machine that heavy and a large displacement motor, the wet clutch just can’t grip solidly enough. The result is a softer launch and a less-responsive throttle. That’s not news to any of you enthusiasts out there… we know the wet clutch. with it's limitations has been a hot topic on this forum.

On the more positive side, while adding paddles pulls the motor down and drops it out of its power band for climbing, we were able to come up with a kit that restores the rpm and keeps it pulling. We do this for paddles and mud tires on many machines since those modifications usually result in dropping rpm.

We also worked on a kit for stock tires. This kit will improve backshift (which is an issue with roller clutch systems - they typically don't react as quickly as flyweights) and also helps hold the rpm. In stock form the Wildcat struggles to hold rpm when loaded hard.

Luckily for us, Johnny from UTV Inc showed up with his "fresh off the line" Wildcat later in the week so we had something to compare ours to. By the way, he has a great looking Wildcat outfitted with lots of accessories! They (UTV Inc) did a VERY nice job on it! Great looking machine! Anyway, in stock form, his new machine (40 miles on it) was running about 1-2 lengths slower than our clutched one in a drag race. The two machines both had paddles but different styles so that may have had some effect on it, but after clutching his, it was running even with and slowly pulling ahead of the demo. So those were expected results that we were happy to see.

Thanks to Johnny and UTV Inc for the use of the machine!

The POWER issue…

The motor just seems to run out of steam in the higher rpm range. We all know the HP claims and dyno reports that are floating around out there. Very simply, the Wildcat is heavier and has less HP than an XP, so what can you expect? It has a different power to weight ratio available, so the performance will be different. We designed our kits to adjust the shift and help the motor as much as possible in the upper range. Getting too aggressive with the clutching causes the motor to drop rpm.

Overall impression - we loved the ergonomics, suspension and steering. Lots of very nice points to the machine. It kept up (most of the time) with all the XP's out there, but the suspension and handling had a lot to do with that. You just have to drive it in a way that minimizes the shortfall of power and takes advantage of the suspension and handling. Some people will be very happy with it the way it is. Others will be frustrated trying to keep up with their buddies with XP’s. It will be a different decision for each owner whether it’s worth the money to modify it so they can climb Olds right along with the XP’s or if they can live with being the last one to the top. It still gets up there – it just takes its time!

It's an exciting machine. We're looking forward to getting more time on one up here in the north and working with all the power-guys out there as they dial in motor mods and turbos. This industry is full of great performance minds and the Wildcat will be fun to work on.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So yours is not a WCD style improvement? You are just fixing the flaws in the stock system correct? Will your set up handle HP upgrades when the time comes? What will the kit consist of and at what cost?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will take a couple days to figure out the kit costs. We just got back and have a weeks worth of e-mail and usual stuff to catch up on. No, we won't do a WCD for this. Ours will be a $200-$300 recalibration kit that will correct the rpm when paddles or big tires are bolted on, and will improve throttle response with more backshift.

Should have part numbers ready mid-week, can ship right away

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
LOL...speak of the devil...Glad to know your still out there, Jeff...unfortunately Johnny seams to have gone another direction in his opinion of the Wildcat!! Thanks for the update, and waiting for more.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
:tounge-in-cheek:.....maybe it was the tone of each post that led me to that conclusion?
Ah come on now, why would (after one ride with modifications that could easily negatively affect performance), calling it a Pussycat or saying something as ridiculous as its only good for flat open dirt roads with no hills lead you to any conclusions? :pat:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone. It’s always interesting to see how stories and reports develop over a day or two….

I see that some members are concerned about unrevealed testing and “un-proven and tested parts” being used in Johnny’s machine. (From another post)

Here’s more info… and yes I do believe that Johnny didn’t mention our use of his machine out of common courtesy and business etiquette.

We had 2 Wildcats out there for the week. As I noted in my previous post, one of them just wouldn’t run right so we parked it. That left us without a stock machine to compare our changes to. We heard Johnny was out there with his new production unit so we called him. He generously left his breakfast on the table and ran his machine over to our camp. He allowed us to use his machine as a baseline and put some miles on it. Again, as noted, our clutched demo was faster than his, so with his approval we tried a couple set ups in his machine and got it running equal to and slightly better than our demo. They would launch equally and then his machine would slowly pull away from it. Johnny’s note of dropping 2 mph with the clutching calibration we put in it is right on. Top speed loss is often a trade-off for more backshift and being able to hold rpm on long steep climbs. We had tried several set-ups before working on his machine and found that to pull the hills and maintain a decent rpm we had to sacrifice a little on the top end. Same thing applies to the mud guys, but even more. They clutch their machines to turn 30+ inch tires in mud – and lose a ton of top speed. There’s always a give & take…. I run 4:10 gears in my ’69 Camaro for a reason, but I do it knowing that I’m giving up the ability to cruise at a low rpm on the highway.

Yep, Johnny’s belt blew the next day. Why did it break? It could have simply been a belt failure. It could have been the fact that to run with the rest of the group in the dunes you need to push this machine to the edge the entire time you’re riding it. It could have been some unknown factor like sand introduced to the system. And yes, it could have been the clutching….. That’s why we go out and test our kits in the environment they will be used rather than put a calibration together on paper and hope it works. In my opinion I don’t believe it was the clutching, because – this wasn’t the first Wildcat to eat a belt. It’s happening out there. And, we put a little over 150 miles that week on our clutched demo in the same environment with no belt issues. On the last day we tore it down to inspect everything and return it to stock form and we saw no excessive wear or heat issues. Johnny – please understand, I’m in no way indicating that you did anything to cause that belt to blow nor am I deflecting blame. We’ve talked and I know that you know these machines and the type of riding well, so as frustrating as it is to blow a belt, I know you “get it”. Belts break – that’s life with a CVT. If it breaks again in a similar amount of miles, then our flags go up as to a potential problem and we make an adjustment. Thanks again for your generosity out there last week!

As far as “un-proven and tested parts”, I assure you that nothing was unproven that we installed in that machine. We’ve been tuning CVT clutches for 25 years – we have roller weights from 12-32 grams and multiple springs in stock that work in these clutches. The clutches on the Wildcat are not in any way new to us. So I hope this additional information helps.

Thanks everyone, enjoy the sport!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i broke 2 belts the same day, didnt change anything on my clutches, first was probably worn out, 2nd broke in a hour later, 3rd been on for 800 miles of turbo. who knows why they last or break.?? talking about my rzr

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:stupid:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Epi Jeff where You Guys Located At

1 - 20 of 60 Posts