Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
PoPo gearing is 3.58 and like I said there is 3.6 gearing for the Wildcat diff . .. . . in the sand you should be fine but any grippy terrain or any terrain where the front might have any sort of wheel hop and it will bust the front diff open like a grenade went off in it. In the sand it can't get a bite so it will probably survive forever.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I run on packed dirt mountain roads 90% of the time. No issues so far. I think it's a big assumption that it will explode like a grenade went off in it. :)

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
I run on packed dirt mountain roads 90% of the time. No issues so far. I think it's a big assumption that it will explode like a grenade went off in it. :)
No it is based off history and experience. Running on a dirt packed mountain road . . . . LOL .... yeah if that is your definition of stressing the component then you will be fine. There is a reason Arctic Cat has steadily decreased the gearing in the diff from 4.0 to 3.6 to 3.1 and that is because the diff cannot handle the loading produced by the deeper gearsets and it blows up. Not guessing here or assuming trying to inform you of the how and why but hey good luck with that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Turbo Rotax cat had 4.0 gears and a 120+ HP to the Ground and I blew the Rear diff side cover because the loading it took on the thin side cast aluminum cover, then we had a thicker Billet side cover made and no more problems. I think the gear set will be fine its the flexing cover that causes the problems and they blow up.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
is there any upgrade for the bevel gear on an x motor?
No there is nothing better. Tight tolerance on backlash and good oil is best you can do

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
dam... anyone ever make portal lifts yet for the wildcat1000? since rockcrusher is out of business
I'd like to know that also hey how about ya'll make us some!!! I talked to satv at the spring jamboree at windrock and he said they were looking at it maybe they are now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
PoPo gearing is 3.58 and like I said there is 3.6 gearing for the Wildcat diff . .. . . in the sand you should be fine but any grippy terrain or any terrain where the front might have any sort of wheel hop and it will bust the front diff open like a grenade went off in it. In the sand it can't get a bite so it will probably survive forever.
I know this is a really old post but I had to reply and try to understand. A gearing difference of .02 is not much of a mismatch. All 3 auto makers do this. You might have a Ford Bronco with a D44 front and Ford 9" rear. The front could have 4.11 gears and the rear is 4.09 because that is the gears made for each axle. So I am not sure how the Wildcat could be different?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I know this is a really old post but I had to reply and try to understand. A gearing difference of .02 is not much of a mismatch. All 3 auto makers do this. You might have a Ford Bronco with a D44 front and Ford 9" rear. The front could have 4.11 gears and the rear is 4.09 because that is the gears made for each axle. So I am not sure how the Wildcat could be different?
In the example you gave is because the diameter of the 2 ring gears are different sizes so they have to do different ratios to make the axle revalutions the same or as close as possible but they are not 100% if you run it 4x4 on hard pack you will break the transfer case or chew the teeth off one of the ring gears. Newer 4x4's with awd the 2 ring gears are identical. This was the problem with the older chevy and dodge's when they started making the all time 4x4 it would chew up the ring gear in the dana 44 and they wouldn't pull until you installed a warn part time kit in the transfer case to run in 2wd.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
agree - this thing is still more interesting then many of the standard turbos out there---and its a cat ! ;- ()

41 - 59 of 59 Posts