Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ceramic painted and Heat wrapped my exhaust. The old heat shield was rattling and melting my firewall so I went ahead and removed it and instead of paying $80 for the new style I bought $20 in paint and wrap tape and came up with this. Wire wheeled the header and muffler down and put a coat of ceramic paint on them then used the fiberglass wrap (non-titanium as you are not supposed to use the titanium type with ceramic paint) Also added more fiberglass heat shielding on the firewall as well. Will update on how this works.
IMG_20200105_160549466.jpg
IMG_20200105_160604923.jpg

Protip for wrapping: Soak the wrap in water for about an hour before wrapping it onto the header. This makes it easier to stretch it nice and tight onto the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Have you drilled the cat out of your muffler? That will help you with heat also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to see how much of a difference this makes first just for a comparison. I do plan to cut the muffler open and completely remove the cat sometime soon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If your machine has not had the new heat shield and firewall update, the dealer will complete that for free. It is a recall, the deal has to fix it even if the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware of the recall. I don't have a dealer a reasonable distance from me that I would trust and I prefer to work on my own machines. Not that I don't like dealer mechanics but I don't trust dealer mechanics. Personal preference.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! I've got the header off already on one of my machines to fix a water pump issue. Now's the perfect time to wrap it up.

Reactions: Tanker_01

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can do it the lazy and sometimes ineffective way of trying to drill it out without cutting the muffler can apart or you can cut the weld seam on the end of the muffler and physically cut the whole cat out then weld the can back together. I plan to do the full removal method. People have had success with just drilling it out from the outside but the cut and weld method is much cleaner.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Removing the Cat by drilling it out is neither ineffective nor the lazy way, it's a chore that requires lots of drilling & breaking it up with a long chisel or screwdriver, not everybody has the skills and/or equipment to cut & re-weld the muffler. If & when I do remove the Cat from my Sport I'll probably do it that way again although I may change my mind & try the cut & weld method.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I am aware of the recall. I don't have a dealer a reasonable distance from me that I would trust and I prefer to work on my own machines. Not that I don't like dealer mechanics but I don't trust dealer mechanics. Personal preference.
I made sure my dealer had the updated firewall, I removed mine and traded him for the new one and I installed it. His mechanic flagged the time for the install. Lots more room around the header. The dealer has to cut off a certain chunk of the old one and send it in for warranty. Building a relationship with a dealer allows some of us to do these kind of things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Id still say its lazy considering you're possibly then letting broken pieces of cat rattle around inside your muffler until they turn to dust or get stuck somewhere. Much cleaner to just cut and weld it up. even if you dont have welding capability its still cleaner/better to cut it open, cut the cat out, then bring it to a muffler shop and slip them a $20 to weld it back up for you. Its not only less work to cut/weld but also prevents rattling or further issues.

Its effective for sure and it works but its still lazy. Do it the right way the first time and you'll have less issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't consider just calling and swapping my firewall out with the updated one. I may call my local Tracker dealer and see if they can swap it out for me. I still have the firewall out while I am rerouting my intakes so I have time to swap it still. Did you need to provide them with proof that the machine is yours or anything?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By drilling the cat out will that make the machine louder?
Allegedly it doesn't change the sound much, just a little more throaty. However I would rather have less cab heat not to mention 2-3 more hp and faster throttle response and be a little bit louder as a result.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I didn't consider just calling and swapping my firewall out with the updated one. I may call my local Tracker dealer and see if they can swap it out for me. I still have the firewall out while I am rerouting my intakes so I have time to swap it still. Did you need to provide them with proof that the machine is yours or anything?
You need the vin number and proof that it’s yours, just explain situation and see if they will work with you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i had the recall done and have very little heat inside the cab.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm with you here, I sent mine to the local dealership and when I did a pre inspection before taking it out again I found bad bushings in the front of my trail, I have over 2 thousand miles and only had to change them after getting it back from the dealer, I looked to see if they did a good job on the firewall and found they didn't put in 1 bolt and nut where the hose connects to the pre filter and left anther hose loose, my cat will NEVER go to another dealership unless it's catastrophic, love the dealer I bought it from but they are over 2 hrs away...

Reactions: Tanker_01
1 - 19 of 19 Posts