Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I removed my heat shield because it kept coming loose & coming into contact with the plastic behind the seat. I resprayed/rewrapped my header & also put some more head shield on the plastic itself. After putting everything back together, I fired it up to go through the curing process for the header spray/wrap. I noticed a knocking/popping sound that wasn't there before. The only thing I can think of is it's an exhaust leak? Are those two rings at the header flange one time use only parts? Need replaced every time you take the header off? If it is an exhaust leak will this cause any issues? We're going riding this weekend.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Those exhaust seals(2) on the header where it bolts to the head are crush seals. One time use really. They are cheap to replace. They "crush" under torque to allow a positive seal for any irregularity in the mating surfaces. Once disturbed they may not seal again. Clean everything well before installing new ones as they have a paper type gasket on each side that tears easily, and may stick to the surface and prevent your new seals from sealing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mechanic. I'll get a couple new ones. Until then, will that cause any issues if they're not fully sealed?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Thanks Mechanic. I'll get a couple new ones. Until then, will that cause any issues if they're not fully sealed?
Really depends how bad it is leaking, very minor and you should be fine. If really bad there is a chance that you could "flame" the head... Which is like taking a blow torch to the aluminum exhaust ports. It could melt it bad enough that new seals won't seal. That is extreme but I wouldn't chance it. If you must ride it then all you can really do is try to seal it with high temp RTV. Let it cure at least 24 hours before starting the engine. It will make a mess and not be fun to clean off when you get the proper seals, and may only last for one ride..... A better option would be to use a thin copper washer to shim the original seals and allow more "crush".... But I have no idea where you would get them, probably have to make them. I would try to shim them with 1" conduit connector reducers, used to reduce hole diameters in electrical boxes for fittings.... A freakin hail mary if they fit.... Lol. But it just might work:)

Another option if you have 18 gauge solid copper wire, and can bend it into a perfect circle with a slight overlap at the joint, install it between the header and crush seal.... That might work too but is getting pretty advanced depending on your skill. You are really making me think what I would do in a pinch here.... Lol.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
i would just buy some. if it leaks bad, you would have alot more money tied up than $1.XX

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would just buy some. if it leaks bad, you would have alot more money tied up than $1.XX
Definitely will be buying a new set. Just don't know if I can get any before Friday.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Local dealer or MLS or speedwerx. See if they can rush some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local dealer don't have any. Ordered a pair online. $30 to overnight a couple $1.79 parts. Gotta pay to play I guess.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The crush seals were indeed the problem. Replaced them last night. Fired up & purred like a kitten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts