Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just purchased a 2017 sport ltd
ive been looking at a couple different packages for increased hp. They show decent Gaines but when I read closer they post gains from a 15 sport or trail. Now speedwerx posted that the gains are not as big on the 17 sport due to the factory making changes to improve hp already. Just wondering what people in here are choosing and what real gains they are seeing on 17 sports
thanks

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
Welcome L2theg99. Before performance, get yourself harnesses and a harness bar. Quickest way to get some more horsepower is by flashing your ECU.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Gains on the 16 and 17s aren't much, probably most could be had with a clutch kit. Turbo is probably the only answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I am not interested in turbo. So it looks like not much gained any other way. I may do intake and exhaust later. A dalton clutch kit is in the near future. Do you guys like these kits? I live in Nova Scotia so I like the fact of a local product.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Dalton kit is liked by most on here, I think. Let's you tailor the clutch to your riding style.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Speedwerx exhaust and header will get you a nice gain. It also eliminates the cat converter and some weight. If you don't want to do the header the exhaust alone helps.

·
Registered
844 Posts
For about 5-8 HP more go aftermarket exhaust, Increase air flow into the air box, and buy a Power Commander V to take advantage of a fuel map that will run you a bit more rich. The ECU is set on the lean side, and doing an airbox mod and an exhaust change will only magnify that. I went with a PCV so I can tinker with settings myself. An ECU reflash only has one advantage in my book. It does not require extra wires runnning to your motor. So you have a clean factory layout, but lose the flexibility of adjusting the map yourself.

As far as the Dalton kit goes it gives you diminishing returns on the 2016 Sport and up because AC changed the weights and Helix angle to a better setup. Dalton had designed that kit when the 2014 Trail came out. It choose springs and weights based on the straight helix angle of the secondary. When AC changed the helix to a two angle design it most surely messed up the carefully hand picked choices Dalton made. But did Dalton update the kit? Nope. Still the same thing. I seen nobody else on here address that issue. As clutch gurus say it's a very precise thing to pick weights, springs, and helix angle choices. You change one of them (in this case the Helix) then the whole package needs to be rebalanced again. Dalton did not do that. So more or less if you got a Trail or Sport with the updated CVT, a Dalton kit gives you a much less noticable improvement. I have a Dalton in my 2016 Sport. I got it on the advice of the public here. But did so before I knew of AC's clutch redesign on my 2016. But I still like the ability of changing my clutch weight easily. It's kind of fun.

Oh and same goes for Speedwerx's secondary spring they sell. Also it's a case of helping out the older CVT design, not the new one. You do not need it if you got the newer spring AC used and helix angle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have very dusty conditions out wet in UT, AZ, NV and D&P Performance does not recommend any aftermarket air cleaners. They say the orig. eq. flows good and offers best protection when kept clean. They also have a clutch kit but I put in when new so can't say how much it helped. I know the weights are set up for high altitude (> 6,000 feet) and when I'm in Mesquite, NV (1600 feet) I hit the rev limiter if I floor it in the 45 mph range on dirt roads. It's not been a problem since I can back off and still gain speed and most of time on trails at less speed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, there seems nothing better than our stock filter when oiled and kept clean. I hear R2C filters that don't need oiling filter as well, but I'm a little skeptical of that claim. Anyway, the engine does flow better when the air box cover is taken off, which kind of proves there is not enough flow channelling though the air box hose. It's diameter is to small. So when I suggested an air box mod above, I wasn't suggesting turning away from the OEM filter, but rather just allowing more air into the air box. If you don't ever go into deep water consider drilling a few holes in the air box cover and then on the inside of the cover paste some Frogzskin or Outerwears material over the holes as a pre-filter. Now you have addressed the engine breathing issue. Air in step is done. Now address air out step, which is to go cat-less to allow air to flow out better. Either gut the cat out or go aftermarket muffler. These two things make easy HP gains. But as I said above you'll be a little learner if you do this. A PCV with a richer fuel map can address this. And with that you get a few more easy HP. Again like I said above an easy 5-8HP. But not much more. You'll easily be in the 70HP range after this. Chasing bigger gains will cost some serious cash after this. Simply not worth it is it? Unless you really want to dump another 3,000 into this 700cc motor and get a Turbo. Hmm but after that you may as well have gotten a 1000cc machine to begin with. Food for thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts