Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 700 Wildcat trail. This is a 21" bar. The previous owner had issues with the light bar. After the purchase I started looking into the mess under the passenger seat. Someone cobbled the wiring pretty bad. So I have been working on this for two days. I took off all the zip ties. This allowed me to follow the wires from the switch and also the light itself so that I wasn't confusing the two. The rocker switch in the dash has three wires. Red, yellow, and black. I understand the red being power and the black being the ground. Not sure about the yellow. The light and the switch where wired into a relay. This is where I'm having problems. Not sure how to wire it into the relay. My relay has a 30-power, 85-ground, 86-white to switch, 87-blue to the light, leaving 87A open. I have the switch and the light grounded to the battery. So I'm not sure why it is not working, plus have no idea what the yellow switch wire is used for. This is driving me crazy as I have wired several light bars for friends and they work fine. Just not sure what I'm missing and did Arctic Cat do something different when they installed these?

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
Is the rocker switch lighted? Yellow is probably just for the light?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hooking Red to 30 on the replay and tried hooking yellow to the 86 post. When I do this the switch is lighted but the light still would not work. If I hook the power directly from the battery to the red wire from the light lead the light will come on. So I thought that both the switch and light both work. Just missing something. Before, when I first bought it the light in the switch only came on when I pressed the toggle with the key on. I don't want the light on without the key and that is what is happening when I put the red switch wire to the 30 on the relay. Not sure if they had some type of jumper wire as it was really cobbled and would only work now and than.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not sure what you have going on, but trying to figure it out might be more difficult than just re-wiring. Here's how I would do it.

At the switch:
Black to ground - this is only needed for operating the light in the switch.
Red from a switched power source so that the light is not on when the key is off. This would normally go on the pin in the middle of the switch.
Yellow - only hot when switch is on. This would go to 86 on the relay.

30 on the relay should come from the battery.
86 from the switch. This is what triggers the relay to allow current to flow from 30 to 87.
85 is the ground.
87 blue to the light.

I'm not certain, but I believe THIS is the wiring diagram for your switch (only one I could find with 3 posts). HERE's a diagram for a relay.

There's a couple basic concepts here. 1 - you need a ground to complete a circuit. Therefore, if you have a ground on a switch, it's most likely to complete the circuit for a light. 2 a relay is a device for using a low power circuit (< 1 amp) to switch a high power circuit. Some rocker switches are only designed to handle a maximum of 3 amps. You could not run a simple circuit for a light bar through the switch as the internals will simply not handle it and you'll fry the switch. That is when you use a relay. When power is applied to 86 and completes the circuit via 85, a switch is activated in the relay which allows power to flow from 30 to 87. When power is disconnected, the switch opens and power cannot travel from 30 to 87. This turns off your light bar. Another benefit is higher gauge wire is cheaper and easier to run than larger, smaller gauge wire.

I'm not sure how this was wired before, but you should confirm your switch and relay are both functioning properly as well. These are mechanical parts which can fail.

Reactions: Ron380

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help. I decided to take out all the splices and re-wire it from the light to the switch and to the power and ground. Works fine now. Thank you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts