Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought the factory rocker switch that comes from Artic Cat. But, it didn't come with a wiring diagram or harness. Anyone have any idea how this switch is wired? I'm also trying to figure out how the switch works to controls the "in and out". Does it some how reverse the polarity? A link to the switch is listed below.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Something like the Amazon item you linked to (the link will be disabled shortly - links to vendors that don't support the forum are not allowed) is what you need. The AC switch you bought is an on-off-on momentary switch. You will use it to energize that solenoid relay.

Before you order it, I would suggest you consider buying a wireless solenoid relay. It is likely that at some point you will wish you could be outside of your machine when you operate the winch. I cribbed a wireless setup from a cheap Harbor Freight winch that I installed with a wired relay on my snowblower, and it has enough range that I can walk out the full length of my winch cable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the actual wiring for the solenoid. Why do they have the solenoid open and close contacts on the positive and negative? Normally, I would wire one battery terminal direct and use the solenoid to open and close the circuit on the other terminal. Maybe this can be used if the switch is set up to reverse the polarity?
selenoid wiring.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
The circuit you propose would only run the winch motor in one direction. The solenoid and wiring pictured in your post will reverse the polarity, allowing the winch motor to reel in or reel out, depending on whether 12v+ is applied to the black or green wire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m sure the Arctic Cat winch switch is a simple momentary contact DPDT rocker switch. They can be wired as a “reverse” polarity switch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I took my voltmeter to the switch and this is what I got. No connectors are wired in common. So it appears that this switch is SPDT. Now I need to figure out how to connect the control power from the relay to switch so it can be reversed. 5D42842B-24D8-4D54-9FFE-11159A6E71C4.png

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
12v+ goes to "comm", "winch out" goes to either the green or the black wire on the solenoid relay you showed a few posts above, and "winch in" goes to the other one. That solenoid relay pic doesn't show enough information to tell which wire is "in" and which wire is "out".

Wire it up and if it works correctly, you are golden. If switch in makes it reel out, reverse the green and black wires. The "unknown" connections are almost certainly for switch illumination. If the light in the switch is an LED, you will need to connect the illumination circuit with proper polarity. An LED wired backwards won't work. A bulb will.

Personally, I think you should scrap that switch and go wireless. Winches are to get you out of trouble. Trouble is never what you plan for, so maximum flexibility should be your goal.

Reactions: curtspivey

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. The two “unknown” terminals are for switch illumination. I spent a lot of time searching for a pin-out diagram for this switch. I'm hoping this post will help save someone else some time and effort if they are installing a system from scratch. I will indeed go wireless at some point. I was given a snow plow that has only been used once. So, it's a good bet the winch will be used almost exclusively for the plow. So, a wired switch is just more convenient at the moment.

Once I get everything up and running I'll snap some pictures of the install. I couldn't find a single install video or post showing an install from scratch. Especially anything showing the installation of the switch an wiring.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not sure what switch you have (maybe it's on the switch) but you might be able to find what you're looking for here: OTRATTW - The standard in high quality custom rocker switches.

Most likely that is an independent switch and those are the lighting terminals. One is 12v+ and one is the ground. Try measuring ohms in each direction to see which one is which.

Reactions: curtspivey

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is installed and working. A SPDT switch is all you need to control the winch solenoid. I used the OEM switch because it was on clearance and it matches the other switches perfectly. But any SPDT switch as long as it has an "off" position. The thing that was difficult for me to understand was how the two winch control wires work. One wire completes a circuit that causes the retracts the winch. The other wire extends the winch. As long as you have positive power to the center "pole" each switch position completes a circuit.

I am used to working with solenoids where the smaller wires coming out require a positive and negative source to control the relay that closes the relay. In the case of the winch solenoid, there are two separate internal circuits that switch polarity.

I hope this helps someone else. It was surprising how incredibly difficult it is to find out exactly how the two control wires function in the circuit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts