Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well The day is finally here! My Portals/Gear Reduction Lifts finally came! (Cue Angels Singing) They came in 4 separate boxes and weigh 50lbs each. My husband and I are planning on attacking them this weekend. I currently have 34 Terminators on now and would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to put 40 Terminators on when said and done! That would be super awesome! If anyone cares I can post pics as we go.

Here is what she looks like now.

FullSizeRender 13.jpg

Pic of the Portal

IMG_0242.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave with Maximum Performance Motorsports. I believe the boxes are Rock Crushers and then he has the part made to adapt to the Arctic Cat. We wanted two sets, one for my husbands X4 Limited, but he only had 1 set left. He makes them 10 at a time. He will only make them if he has 10 orders upfront. So if anyone else wants any we have a couple of sets down here that are in.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If like to know exactly how much width they add when you're done. Pm me price too please. Last I heard the guy up here wasn't making them anymore. How long did it take to get them? Also do you have a lift now on that machine other then a 3". Shocks just jacked up? Looks tall and I want to go taller as well

·
Administrator
27,786 Posts
Do you have more pictures of the cage?
X2, you beat me Mike! Looks like a pretty cool radius cage. I would like to see some more pics too.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Gonna be sweet when you get done but I hope you have another place to keep it cause it doesnt look like you have much clearance to the top of your garage to go up 4 more inches plus another cpl when you go to 40's but it will be badass

·
Registered
756 Posts
40s though cool seams completely unreliable. There is no way the stock steering rack, EPS and brakes will play well with 40s. The Inertia of a 160Lb tire I think will destroy all the parts on the Cat even with the gear reduction protecting it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
sweet. i think those will be aweosme. man you must do some mudding to need more clearance then youve got.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
40s though cool seams completely unreliable. There is no way the stock steering rack, EPS and brakes will play well with 40s. The Inertia of a 160Lb tire I think will destroy all the parts on the Cat even with the gear reduction protecting it.
I agree, and figure on replacing all front end ball joints after each ride.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yea what kinda cage is that ? Also could you pm me a price on the gear reductions to please?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wish you better luck with the RC portals than others have had. They are probably the worst on the market. I know RC did just redesign their portals. Hopefully they are much stronger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Portals are on. Waiting on the wheels and tires. My hubby did the math and he figured 38" tires will bring the buggy back to stock with 30% reduction. My biggest concern about this whole thing is the breaking ball joints, steering etc. My buggy started with the 3" spacer lift, then we put the 6" lift from super atv on it but left the spacers in the shocks and 34" terminators. I LOVE the way it handles very rarely get stuck, 1 time since we lifted it but that was only because the guy behind me wouldn't back up to let me use my overdrive reverse. So I had to inch forward backward and just dug myself deeper. LOL. We are nothing but sticky stiff mud here where we ride. Locals, will know River Run, Muddy Bottoms, Mud Creek for example.

We ordered the portals for my husbands X 4 seater. But, he just bought a 2016 Rzr 1000 High Lifter it is in the process of getting the S3 lift and 36" wheels and tires, stereo and all the goodies. So we just thought we would put them on mine. The portals are set up to fit Arctic Cat, Rzr or Can Am so if I don't like them, we will just order the backing plates and put them on his rzr. We like wrenching on stuff and fabricating things. So it's not a big deal if they don't work on mine. I will just put my stock hubs back on with my 34" terms. I love a challenge so I'm in for now.

I have always felt like the steering set up on Arctic Cat was a joke. It needs to be more durable. In our deep mud there are all kinds of things hiding. Rocks, stumps you name it. I broke a tie rod and an axle hitting a hidden stump. I came home and ordered my lift and tires after that weekend. Broke my steering as well.

Those heim joints should be stronger too. But my husband and I say we would rather break those instead of steering. We will see.

I think we paid $3,800 for the portals it only took a week or so to get them here from Canada.

My cage and bumpers were done by Zach at Fulton Machine Works you can look at his stuff on Facebook by his name Zach Fulton. He races a yellow yamaha at the mud events number 77. My husband and mine were the first Arctic Cats he had done and mine was his first radius cage. He had to buy a pipe bender to do it. My cage is attached to my rear bumper which is what I wanted. Being female, I couldn't ever see out the back when reversing and so I hit the occasional tree with my AC bumper and it had bent in it was so flimsy. This one is a tough cookie. My Husband's cage is more square but his rear bumper is the bomb. It attaches also, but it is indestructible!

The Portals were really easy to do. The biggest pain was getting the ball joints in the backing plate. I have more photos but this site loads them sideways or upside down. I hate that so I deleted them. I will keep posting as we keep going. I'm changing my plastics too. With my snorkels and low roof that back piece is going to be a challenge. Unless y'all know how to get that red paint off the plastic. I know there is black underneath because my paint is peeling in some areas.

IMG_2748.JPG

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can't wait to see it all put back together! Your math is wrong on the 38's but you still shouldn't have an issue spinning them. Now, your power steering may hate you. Please keep us updated on how it does in the thick stuff and how the bike holds up because I would love to build mine up like this. I'm afraid it will be way too wide for most of the riding I do and am really concerned about the diffs holding up to 34+ tires. It would be great at Mud Nats though!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Portal update. We got the everything on and I'm rolling. In the process of doing all of this I decided to change my red buggy to black. So I still have to put my hood on, but it takes precise measuring and drilling to match up my quick release pins. So that will be last. I have to get the cooling fan shroud off which is going to be tricky with my low radius cage having the harness bar welded in and my snorkels. I'm pretty sure I can finagle it but it is gonna take some patience.

So onto the portals. So far they are awesome! They totally take the axles to a much better angle. Not so bound looking. The steering is surprising smooth. Maybe that is because the axles don't have so much pressure on them. The stance is just wicked sick! I took the famous 5 gallon bucket picture for everyone. Its hilarious!

Her are some photos. And when I get all of the plastics done I will update again.

IMG_0941.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_8901.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_4726.JPG

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That is one badass cat! What does the clearance measure out to be?

Reactions: TiTforTaTCaT
1 - 20 of 88 Posts