Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to little Sahara and since ac is setup 6 spots up the road from our spot, and they were nice enough to leave one machine out, my brother and I just gave It a good look over. First of all, it does look even cooler in person, and the green looks way better in person. This machine is pretty beat looking like its been through a war, and took it very well. It looks durable as hell. The cockpit room is amazing. If you are a big guy, this is definitely the machine for you. The doors and interior are a little flimsy looking and feeling, but overall it's pretty amazing looking. I brought my photography gear, so in a few hours when we get up, I will snap a couple hundred shots of it and share a link here when I get home Sunday and give my ride review. I feel like a kid at Xmas who can't sleep waiting to see what santa dropped off.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Red,
I totally know the feeling.............I was the same way when I went to my demo ride. Have a blast in the morning and take tons of pictures. Can't wait to see them. I know I am always looking forward to hearing how someone else liked it and what they thought. Plus once you see one in person you just want to see more pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
red,
i totally know the feeling.............i was the same way when i went to my demo ride. Have a blast in the morning and take tons of pictures. Can't wait to see them. I know i am always looking forward to hearing how someone else liked it and what they thought. Plus once you see one in person you just want to see more pictures of it.
x2 :d

·
Registered
945 Posts
Excellent Red......can not wait for the pic's and the review!!! Have fun and hammer on it!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My review:
First off, the machine looks way cooler in person than on the net, so 5 stars in the looks category. To be general, the suspension (as noted previously) is amazing in comparison to every thing else out there, beats every thing by far. The motor is a dog for a 951cc V-twin. I can only hope that AC has detuned the motor for demo purposes. Many people that own XPs walked off shaking their heads happy they owned an XP. AC wouldn't state the engine was de-tuned out right, but there were hints??? kind of sort ?????

To give it fair credit though, it did accelerate to 53 mph with the stock tires on very dry loose sand and still had some room to go, so top end wise, I'd say the performance will be very equal to an XP even on this demo. The acceleration, however, was slow and the motor never really revs up hard when you stomp it, just a slow steady rise in RPM making it sound slow and feel slow. As I said though, this is very loose dry sand with no paddles, so it's really hard to pass too much judgement. Also being as the top end is capable that means the low end can get there with clutching.

The power steering is amazing, no bump steer, effortless driving, hands off driving, just stellar handling. Shock dampening was incredible even with 2 big guys in the machine, it never bottomed nor took any harsh hits. They didn't let us drive too hard, so I didn't REALLY get to "test" it.

Some other things to note. The rear suspension was over traveling and allowing the rear link bars to hit the exhaust on some machines. Not sure how you miss the mark there, but I know they did start with a different pipe, so maybe that is why that happened. It was not that way on all machines. The gas tank is in a scary location being right in the rear partially exposed, but I can't see anywhere else to put it, so it makes sense being there. The ECU is under the passenger seat--not my first choice for placement. The doors were awesome, a little flimsy on the latch, but it latched, it worked, I liked it. the dash and interior looks a little cheap, but I can live with it overall. The leg room is SO AMAZING!!!!!! You could actually sit down as a passenger (im only 5'10" but w/e) and sink down like you are low riding and not bend your knees--WAY BETTER than any other sport side x side. The tie rods are hanging out the front, you hit someone or something, tree, or whatever, and those are gone. I know they had handling reasons for being there, but you should carry a spare or 2 if you woods ride, because you will kill one. I hate the shift selector--all the way back being park I can deal with, but it goes in this order P->R->N->H->L, complete PITA, makes no sense to have low on the extremity instead of high. I have never run my RZR S in low 1 time, and will never run this machine in low either. If it's possible, I would adjust the linkage to remove low gear so I could just toss it all the way forward for High. That being said, it shifts so smooth it's amazing. Back to the motor for a line or 2--oddly enough in Low gear the motor rev'd super fast and hard like you would expect from a 951 and pulled like hell up to 7200 or 7700 RPM (can't remember exactly) so the motor has the potential, just needs the proper clutching I think (Airdam has said as much too). The low CoG made turning feeling very confident and stable like you would have to be pretty stupid to roll it, or just catch really bad luck.

My verdict: despite the slow feeling engine, I love the look and the suspension so much I am going to make my deposit next weekend at RT&T next weekend in Muskogee. Donkey really took care of me and my brother at the demo, and he is a great guy and honest as hell about the performance of the engine and the doubts it raised for him.

The demo could have been better in terms of seat time and speed, but the guys from AC were cool enough to make one last ride after the event was supposed to be over and let me snap a few pictures and a short video over some pretty decent whoops. Thanks to AC for allowing us the opportunity to try before you buy!

I have a ton of pics and videos. It will take me hours to upload them all. I have too busy of a work week to do any editing, so I am just going to throw them out on my YouTube channel (search YouTube for redflametech) later today. The sound is terrible in most of them because I didn't have time to position my microphone, and I am sure Donkey probably won't love hearing his conversations, but oh well. Big thanks to him for all the video he took the time to shoot as well. If you are anywhere near Oklahoma and you need a dealership, I strongly suggest giving him a call in Muskogee. He will shoot you 100% straight with his opinion and not try to sell you just to make a buck. They are taking great care of me and bro. I will do my best to post links to my vids and pics later today.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Red,
Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the review and I wonder what is the deal on the machines that were hitting the exhaust? It is great that you got to meet Donkey and have found a good dealer to deal wth.
Looking forward to your videos and pictures.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great review! Thanks you for sharing!!! The more I hear about the lack of power the more I'm leaning towards the detuned theory!!! I also like hearing that these machines are taking a beating, I actually feel sorry for the demo units!!!LOL

·
Registered
945 Posts
Super write up Red!! Thanks for all of the info. Way kewl that you got to meet Donkey and are able to report back about a great dealer!! Thanks and look forward to seeing the pic's and vid's!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Good review Red..Thanks
I didn't like the shifter either...I'd be afraid of accidentally bumping it into low range, don't know if that's possible or not.
I could see a mechanical stop that would require a person to have to disengage the stop to put it in low range.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good review and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing, the paint is beautiful, but you will see in my pics it isn't really holding up really well. It still looked fine, but it was starting to take a beating for only 700 miles. Then again, these were the Barstow units, 2 of which were rolled I think (0 damage other than some roll cage scrapes) and they also had been to Tennessee in the trees and woods, so you decide when you see my pics. I didn't close up the paint a ton, but there are some shots. My internet is bogged out right now uploading all the videos for another 3 hours then I will start with pics. I had over 6GB of videos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts