Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent the weekend in Ocotillo Wells this weekend with the new cat - I've been going to the Glamis / Gordon Wells for 20+ years and never had a desire to visit Ocotillo, but with the new cat I wanted to give it a try.

For those that have never been there it's basically a mix of whooped up trails, mud hills, a few sand hills, and rocks.

I had the most fun going around the whooped up roads in and around the area - I was able to hit 2 to 3 foot deep whoops at full speed with no issues. I climbed a rocky steep hill that's on the left side of "Devils Slide" - A couple people drove over to me after making it and were shocked how easy it looked...Put it this way, no quads or dirt bikes were even attempting the hill. The thing just keeps impressing me more and more each time I drive it. I did puncture a tire but only after hitting a rock pretty hard, I had to have a friend go buy me a puncture kit and bring his small 12 volt compressor - That's the next thing I'm adding to my ride-along tool kit - 12 volt compressor and a nice puncture kit.

It's definitely different than the dunes and I don't know if the "wide" and I will be going there as our first choice, but it's about 50 miles closer to the house and I will go back again.

Lastly, I took my time to break my unit in, 9 hours under half throttle, and then changed the oil...Is it me, or does it seem like all the units that are breaking badly are those that people buy and then immediately go hammer them right away - i.e "the truth" thread...I for one think its really important to properly get all the metal nice and scuffed up before pushing it to its limits. Kinda like stretching before a run, its not really needed, but you will be less likely to get injured if you do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Glad it turned out so well. No doubt it's good to get to know it as well as evaluate it before throttling up.

I grew up going to Ocotillo Wells back in the 70's. Those were the simple good ole' days; my only care in the world was having fun.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You keep calling her wide and you wont be going anywhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lastly, I took my time to break my unit in, 9 hours under half throttle, and then changed the oil... ...I for one think its really important to properly get all the metal nice and scuffed up before pushing it to its limits. Kinda like stretching before a run, its not really needed, but you will be less likely to get injured if you do.
Yep, break-in period and warm-up before driving important. Take the time to check, listen and feel the machine before committing to a run.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I know the part of the hill you are talking about on devils slide. I did it in my rzr-s a few Weeks ago at around 4 in the afternoon, staring directly at the sun the whole way up. It was the scariest thing I've done so far, but a heck of a rush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts