Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I approached this oil change thinking all dry sump systems are alike, with virtually all of the oil in the tank, like on my race car. I should have slowed down and thought things through when I saw that you drain all of the oil via the oil pan, but our planned departure for our trip is tomorrow and I still have too many things to finish.

Lessons learned:
1) That has to be the smallest drain plug in the world. My lawn mowers have larger plugs than that. If weedeaters were 4 strokes, they would have larger drain plugs than an XX. I had taken the XX up to operating temp, so the oil drained nicely despite the tiny drain hole, and I always use a full synthetic, which tend to flow well. Still, I would not want to do an oil change on a cold engine.
2a) More oil than I expected is stored in the oil pan. The path for oil to backflow to the pan is somewhat restricted and oil backs up in the dry sump tank. I was using a funnel and got caught by surprise - lots of oil dripping down the side of the tank and clutch cover. What a mess!
2b) When you pour too quickly and spill oil, the oil level in the tank will be higher than the connection to the crankcase ventilation system. When I started the 'cat, it smoked something awful. I confess that my first thought was "WTF have I done", followed closely by "All I did was change the oil". Then I connected the dots between filling too fast, getting oil in the intake, etc. It took close to a mile to burn off and stop smoking. On the plus side, there aren't any mosquitoes around our house or our 1/4 mile long driveway.
3) I HATE THAT DIPSTICK! After finessing the dipstick out one too many times, I grabbed a razor blade and trimmed the "full" ring off so that it no longer catches on the internal baffling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be sure to change the filter, and take a spare or two with you... And some oil

I just purchased an XX and had the low oil pressure message flash on the screen. After changing the oil and filter it came on again briefly, then was fine for 4 days of use... Seems the assembly lube plugs up the filters preventing good flow.

I changed the filter again after my first trip and it has more slimy lube stuck in it. So hopefully a second complete oil change will get the rest of the lube out.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the filter almost as soon as we got it home, opened it up and did not find a lot of assembly gunk. I changed it again today. I'll hang onto it to cut it open when we get home. And yes, there is always a K&N 303 in the "just in case" box when we travel.

Reactions: negatronix
1 - 3 of 3 Posts