Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is Tim from Kansas City (Missouri side :) ). I have already started looking through the information on the forums and am looking forward to learning much. I am a new owner of a 2014 Wildcat Trail 700 and new to the sxs community. My wife and I took the opportunity to rent a ride for a day out in Salt Lake City two summers ago and we had a ball. We decided to continue the fun and joined the fray!

My 'new to me' purchase has 1,350 miles and 225 hours and some improvements. The heat shield/firewall issue has been fixed, it has 12" rims with 6 ply OTR HP-009 27x9.00 tires on the front and 27x11.00 on the rear, front LED bar, rear LED light, Big Gun EVO U exhaust (which I would prefer to replace to quiet it down a bit), 4 point PRP harnesses, TUSK UTV cab pack, TUSK canvas top, front and rear full windscreen, 1/4 front windshield. The belt and left front bearing have recently been replaced. No other repairs or mods to my knowledge or that of the previous owner.

I only have two items of note so far that I am looking into. The exhaust mentioned above is the first. What is a decent, yet quieter, replacement I might consider that wouldn't require tuning? I'd be happy to sell or trade the Big Gun EVO U. The second item, I notice that pick-up or take-ff from a dead stop has a delay, then the 'catch' is abrupt. As I hit the gas, the engine seems to respond as expected, RPMS pick up without delay, but the transmission seems to hesitate then catch with a jerk. I'd like to smooth out the throttle and acceleration. Advice and direction would be much appreciated. I've read about a clutch sticking issue, but I don't know what that means. What symptoms come with a sticking clutch? Is that possibly what this is?

For our riding, we are not looking to race this thing, run full out on trails (much ;) ), no extreme rock crawling or mud bogging. But we want to get out in the woods, find new trails, see some sights, get off the beaten path, and probably get stuck, or in over our heads, a few times. That's part of the fun for me. I would welcome any advice or suggestions for things a newbie needs to consider. I am not new to motors or wrenching, I've done off road motor cycles all my life, but sxs is new. What skills, mods, Wildcat problems, or what not should I look out for? I appreciate the sharing and hope to do the same as I gain experience(s).

Thank you to all who contribute here on these forums. Looking forward to learning from you.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
greetings and welcome to the forum...i would have recommended ezryde after market exhaust but they evidently shut down 1/1/20 per their website...easy change out without having to do any extras to your machine...the ezryde kept our trails under 96db which is required in colorado where we ride out of...we also had a hybrid dalton clutch kit w/speedwerx secondary spring that smoothed things out vs oem setup...i'm not a tool guy so stand-by for replies by the mechanically inclined guys here on the forum for advice...enjoy your rig and be safe out there...

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome to the forum!! As far as your delayed engagement, I would recommend the Speedwerx secondary spring that really helps to smooth out the engagement. It doesn't sound like you have a sticking clutch, which usually causes it to be difficult to shift from Drive to Reverse and visa-versa. I'm not familiar with your particular exhaust system, but maybe check their website and see if it's repackable. The only other thing I would recommend, if you haven't already checked it out, is check out the sticky thread with all the known issues and fixes. Click on the Forum tab at the top of the page, then scroll down to the Wildcat Trail / Trail XT section. Click on that and then scroll down to the "Sticky: Wildcat Trail Known Issues and Fixes". Since you have a 2014, a lot of this will pertain to you, not to scare you, but things you should at least check out. Also call an Arctic Cat dealer and make sure all recalls have been done. Other than that, enjoy your new machine and be safe.

Reactions: Adirondack Man

·
Administrator
27,613 Posts
Welcome PapaTCatKC, congrats! You have harnesses, so I'm happy! Great group of members here always willing to lend a hand. If you have any questions, just ask.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
As dspete05 said, your problem doesn't seem to be a sticking clutch as much as an engagement issue. We were never happy with the stock clutch but the installation of a Dalton kit made all the difference in the world. As far as the noise issue, these machines are noisy, I tried an add on muffler which did quiet the exhaust some but the whole machine remains noisy, took it off because of reduced performance. Best advice is ear plugs or muffs, otherwise you end up like DeanTech and I, old and deaf. Sorry Dean, you're still getting closer. Best of luck and enjoy the new toy.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
otherwise you end up like DeanTeck and I, old and deaf. Sorry Dean, you're still getting closer.
no offense mark...always wants you to be the same distance ahead of me...my gaining on you is not good for you and your getting further ahead is not good for me...

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Yes Dean gap remains the same but percentage of difference keeps getting smaller

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Yes Dean gap remains the same but percentage of difference keeps getting smaller
but the seconds/minutes/hours/days/months/years don't mark...heh heh...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I elected to go with a Speedwerx secondary spring and Q6 Slip on exhaust and I'll see where things sit after that. Got both installed last night but haven't taken the test ride yet. I did start it up to see how the exhaust sounds and I like it so far. I found while taking the secondary apart that the previous owner(s) had not kept things very clean. The shivs, and even the helix, have a fairly bad case of caked fine dust. Any suggestions on safe and effective cleaners to use on clutch parts to get that stuff off? I'll get spark plugs and oil changed as well before I take it out. Weather has been a bit messy but I hope to be riding it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
As far as cleaning the clutch, if you have shop air, blow everything out really good. Then if there is some stuff that won't come off, you can use brake cleaner to spray things down and flush it out. In the secondary, take a close look at the two rollers and make sure they aren't start to break down. If they look questionable, go ahead and replace them. Did you also get the Teflon washers to put on both sides of the spring? I know some people have had issues with the spring binding up, just something I wanted to make you aware of. I've never had they primary apart, but if your not having any problems with it sticking, you should be able to blow out any dust and debris and be ok.
Along with changing your motor oil and filter. I also recommend changing the transaxle fluid and front diff. fluid. That way your starting with everything fresh. When you change, and properly gap, your spark plugs. Put a little dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots and when installing the boots, make sure you hear and feel a positive click so you know the spark plug boots are installed all the way.

Reactions: mtgott
1 - 10 of 10 Posts