Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
The family and I went out to Cal City for the Thanksgiving weekend with our new to us 2018 Wildcat XX. I bought it from the original owner who had done a lot of nice mods/improvements...if I can figure out how to fill out my signature if describe the car.
My wife and I went out with a group run and about 40-50 miles into the run the belt exploded taking out the inner CVT cover. Obviously we pulled over. I remove the outer cover and plan to replace belt as I had a spare and notice immediately the secondary sheave retaining bolt and outer sheave half are about to fall off. Just a few turns (by hand) and the bolt is out and sheave is in my hands. I notice the splines on the input/output shaft for the outer sheave are in bad condition as are the splines on the outer sheave..at this point there is no point trying to install new belt,so it’s a tow back to camp and 3 days of catching rides in other friends cars. This also made loading up a challenge as I couldn’t drive the car into the TH.
My question,is this a common issue? In the searching on here I haven’t seen much discussion on this.
Next question,has anyone gotten into swapping out this secondary input/output shaft? If so,is it a manageable job to take on?
Sorta of bummed our new car only gave us half a run. I’m hoping that I can take on the replacement of broken/worn parts. Thanks for any and all info. I’ve got pics but can’t post them.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
How many miles on car? Did the previous owner have the clutch off(look for other things that are loose)? I’m not sure on the output shaft but I’m sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car had 780 miles and now 830..it has the Speedwerx Extreminator kit. Not sure if he installed it or a shop.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Look at the parts breakdown to figure out how to take that shaft out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do,thanks. Going to buy a shop/service manual as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have not had or heard of anyone on here having this issue, but racers have. I know RG and the Speed crew had a locking retainer for the secondary...so this tells me that it can be an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks..I feel like my car has that locking ring/washer bolt setup. I’ll double check when I get home from work today.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
You can access and download the factory service manual from countrycat.com. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail it went into on dis-assembling the transaxle, but I was just skimming.

Reactions: Dunerking

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the countrycat.com reference. I’ll definitely being checking it out!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had my secondary bolt come out so I bought the speed lock washer and havent had any issues since

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my secondary bolt come out so I bought the speed lock washer and havent had any issues since
Thanks,it does have the Speed secondary lock bolt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great question,as I thought the whole purpose of the lock ring was to prevent this from happening. And yes the outer set of splines for the outer sheave half are stripped/worn down. Now the output/or input shaft needs replaced. I’m assuming that because the bolt backed out the belt became misaligned and blew apart..taking out the inner CVT cover. My parts list is growing as well as time to use the car as it’s going to be parked for awhile.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Sounds like it is an old injury to the shaft that the previous owner tried to bandage with the lock ring.... because there is virtually no way for it to come out with the lock ring in place other than it being already stripped. I would try and run a tap in and get new bolt and see if that works because the shaft Is going to be way harder than the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m starting to feel the same about a possible old injury. I haven’t checked to see if the threads are beat up in the input shaft..maybe I can put the inner sheave half on and hold it from spinning while threading in the bolt. I wish I could load pics to show the worn splines on the shaft and outer sheave half.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Loading pics is easy. At the bottom of the window where you write your message, you'll see a rectangular icon with a camera icon to the right. Click the rectangular icon and follow the instructions. You can just drag a picture into the resulting "Drop Image" window, or you can click on the window and browse to a picture.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loading pics is easy. At the bottom of the window where you write your message, you'll see a rectangular icon with a camera icon to the right. Click the rectangular icon and follow the instructions. You can just drag a picture into the resulting "Drop Image" window, or you can click on the window and browse to a picture.
Awesome...thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have a idea how deep of a job the replacement of the input shaft is going to be? I was thumbing through the service manual on countrycat.com and the instructions seem pretty vague. Is there a manual with more detail instructions?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The shaft pretty much looks like mine do, your secondary is toast. I would buy a whole new secondary. Would be worried that something could be out of balance in the secondary causing your problem.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts