Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Dunerking, I would suggest that you at least research an electric water pump before buying one of the incredibly expensive impellers. There are several threads - search for Davies Craig or EWP. Lots of advantages to using an EWP, which is why they started showing up on premium car brands over a decade ago.
Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll definitely look into EWP as a option.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
My shaft cleaned-up nicely, so it looks like I could be back up and running with an outer sheave, inner clutch cover, clutch cover seal and a belt. A near-by dealer has the complete clutch in stock, so I'll be picking one up in the morning. And the Speed locking fixture is already on the way. Unlike most of their parts, it seems rationally priced at $75.

The Speed lock will be on my "every three rides" list of stuff to check until proven out.

As one of my new Yuma friends has said, I dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My shaft cleaned-up nicely, so it looks like I could be back up and running with an outer sheave, inner clutch cover, clutch cover seal and a belt. A near-by dealer has the complete clutch in stock, so I'll be picking one up in the morning. And the Speed locking fixture is already on the way. Unlike most of their parts, it seems rationally priced at $75.

The Speed lock will be on my "every three rides" list of stuff to check until proven out.

As one of my new Yuma friends has said, I dodged a bullet.
That’s awesome news! I wish I was in the same boat..but I’m going to make the best of the situation and try to do some improvements in hope of preventing problems down the road.
I’m going to definitely be checking that locking bolt as well,since it’s very easy to access. I want to dive into the swapping out to better bearing in the transaxle wherever I can as well. Thanks everyone for all of your support! Has been a great site!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So,I’ve ordered the necessary parts(I hope) but was curious if anyone knows that when I split the transaxle cases if there is a paper gasket,or silicone? I couldn’t tell when ordering.
Also I was going to order transaxle fluid and while this deep dish a motor oil and filter change. I was reading on here and it seems there is 2 different size oil filters,I was going to go with the larger. Is there any reason not to? Thanks

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I would highly recommend a good gear oil over “transaxle fluid”... as far as gasket I would say no. I have not had a XX trans apart but have a rzr which is basically the same and there is no gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I would highly recommend a good gear oil over “transaxle fluid”... as far as gasket I would say no. I have not had a XX trans apart but have a rzr which is basically the same and there is no gasket.

What type and weight gear oil would your recommend?
So no gasket,do you use a bead of silicone then? Or is it just metal to metal? Thanks

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I use mobile 75-140 but any good gear oil would be good IMO. And once again on the POPO trans I used yamabond I believe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yamaha bond...I’ll get some for the reassembly of the transaxle halves. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Permatex "Right Stuff" is also very good for assembling no-gasket aluminum assemblies, and should be easier to find. You can even get it in a pressurized can, which is really nice for applying a consistent bead.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Permatex "Right Stuff" is also very good for assembling no-gasket aluminum assemblies, and should be easier to find. You can even get it in a pressurized can, which is really nice for applying a consistent bead.
Thanks! I’ll make sure to get some. Is there a certain type of the Permatex Right Stuff to get? Just a quick look on Rocky Mountain (I was going to order my motor oil and transaxle fluid from there,and they had about 5-6 different temp levels of the Permatex.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
My SWAG is that the transaxle does not run all that hot, and any of the Right Stuff versions would be fine. I'm most familiar with the One Minute product. It does not set in a minute, BTW, so don't fret about needing to line up all of the shafts & gears in 60 seconds. I've used it to seal the aluminum oil pan to an iron block on a turbo motor. I suspect that application is a lot more taxing than an XX transaxle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was putting in a order for motor oil and transaxle oil at Rocky Mountain and they have the 3 bond 1211 sealant. Would this work for the transaxle halves?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Update: I dropped off the transaxle and new input shaft at Weddle for the full “Race” treatment...upgraded bearings,shot peen gears,new seals etc. unfortunately it’s going to be a 3-4 week turnaround so no New Years trip with it.
With the car this far torn down I’m debating taking the hit and doing the Speed water pump kit. Also going through the whole car and cleaning up wiring,installing the Speed rear shock gussets and cleaning the car as a whole.
I’d like to repack the axles and rear hub carrier bearing. If anyone has any tips for these projects it would be greatly appreciated!
Also if anyone knows where I could find some used rear stub axles that would be great,because as of now it’s stuck on Jack stands and would be nice to be able to roll it around again. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Starting at $1600 and goes up and hard parts need replacement

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Haha...that’s the $1600 question. I hope so,I like the fact that they replace the bearings with quality ones,as well as treat the gears. After talking with Sean at Weddle he said they have more issues with the spider gears in the front diff. So...another Rabbit hole

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could find some used rear stub axles so I can roll my car around? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dunerking
If you need to move your sxs go to harbor freight and get a furniture dolly and set the back end on it with a block
That's how I move mine around in the shop

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Dunerking
If you need to move your sxs go to harbor freight and get a furniture dolly and set the back end on it with a block
That's how I move mine around in the shop
Thanks,but the furniture dolly won’t work rolling on grass. I need to get it to the grass so I can pressure wash off the Northwestern mud that the previous owner used it in. I figure while I have it this stripped down I’ll try and dial/clean (accessories wiring,rear shock gusset kit install and possibly do a Speed billet water pump kit)it up the best I can.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts