Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my Wildcat4X to the dunes for the first time over Halloween weekend!!!! Can anyone recommend any modifications I need OR should make to the wildcat before I go??? I've received mixed reviews from do nothing and it handles awesome stock TO I'm crazy for taking a 4 seat wildcat to the dunes!!!

THANK YOU!

Also, tires... Paddles or stock tires down to 5 pounds????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Recommend a cvt blower fan. I just used stock tires aired down to 8 or 10 psi got around just fine at glamis. Paddle tires on a 4 seater is a little hard on the belt. 4 seater are pretty heavy. Used 4 high most of the time

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I read the title and thought you already went to the dunes. I thought, "oh cool, another belt carnage post" haha

Glad to see you are asking for advice before you go. The constant load in the sand kills belts. Do something to cool the belt and everything else will be great

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just took my Wildcat 4 seater (non X version) to Dumont for the first time in its life and had no problem what-so-ever with it. A little list of what was done to it for that successful trip is:

-Clutch cover completely removed
-EPI clutch kit
-28" GMZ sand stripper stagger cut rear paddles and 3 rib fronts on stock wheels (2nd trip on these, with Pismo being the first, love them so far at about 7psi)
-Ran 4wd High the whole time

I had my wife and 2.5 yr old daughter with me on every run...Definitely have a spare belt and the tools to change it, with the cover removed its a breeze to change if sh!t hits the fan...One thing i also like to do too with the CVT is try to vary the throttle as much as possible...have fun, I love the long wheelbase of the 4 seater, soaks up the whoops a heck of a lot better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All thank you for you time and responses!! I never thought it would be okay to completely remove the clutch cover. You've had no issues with sand getting inside?? I guess with that removed There would be no need for the fan!!

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
Welcome azwildcataz. Couple of things, first never ride the dunes alone, especially if you've never been there. Second, tires, if your going to use your stockers, air down to 6, no higher. If you are on a budget, I recommend the Sand Stripper rear paddles. Give Devious Chris a shout, he'll give you a great deal.

If you're going to Glamis, PM me if you have no group to hang with. Just going to be me and Scooby.

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We’ll be south of the freeway at Buttercup and we’ll make our way over to the sand drags though for sure!

Sounds like the clutch cover is coming off!! Just a little concerned with sand flying around… Do you have contact information FOR Devious Dave?

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
We’ll be south of the freeway at Buttercup and we’ll make our way over to the sand drags though for sure!

Sounds like the clutch cover is coming off!! Just a little concerned with sand flying around… Do you have contact information FOR Devious Dave?

Devious Chris, LOL! Just click the forum tab, go down to supporting vendors, and find Devious Powersports. All contact information is there. They are real easy to deal with, and have great deals. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd spend money on harnesses before anything else. A stretchy recovery strap would be good idea. If you plan to do any night riding, I'd suggest getting a decent light bar.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I'll take door #2, man.

Bring BEER!

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
'How beer built America'. Great show,,,well worth watching. Yes, I love beer. Except that micro brew stuff. Arghhh!

·
Registered
808 Posts

Give us a call at 503-512-7390 or feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

CHRIS
Devious PowerSports
NW Premier Arctic Cat Dealer

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd spend money on harnesses before anything else. A stretchy recovery strap would be good idea. If you plan to do any night riding, I'd suggest getting a decent light bar.
I can't believe this thread took 11 posts before somebody mentioned harnesses; absolutely the first mod to do in any SXS. I also agree with the strap and lightbar. I ride 98% sand dunes and have yet to purchase paddles, they will be my next mod.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I can't believe this thread took 11 posts before somebody mentioned harnesses; absolutely the first mod to do in any SXS. I also agree with the strap and lightbar. I ride 98% sand dunes and have yet to purchase paddles, they will be my next mod.
Hey, I've been upside down twice in the cat with the stock belts and they do the job just fine. For both dunes and trail there's a lot of stopping and climbing in an out of the car... I get impatient with all the folks screwing around with their harnesses and can't seem to get going for 5 minutes. :mad:

Of course I'm 70 years old and I don't have much time left for screwing around. Jump in, click the belt, and zoom - we be gone :cool:

Of course I have a harness in my Sand rail (never been upside down in 25 years) but I've modified it to Jump in, click and be gone.........>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I've been upside down twice in the cat with the stock belts and they do the job just fine. For both dunes and trail there's a lot of stopping and climbing in an out of the car... I get impatient with all the folks screwing around with their harnesses and can't seem to get going for 5 minutes. :mad:

Of course I'm 70 years old and I don't have much time left for screwing around. Jump in, click the belt, and zoom - we be gone :cool:

Of course I have a harness in my Sand rail (never been upside down in 25 years) but I've modified it to Jump in, click and be gone.........>
I went with these for that reason 4_2Harness.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts