1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
xp is right at 65

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Adam dyno a wildcat and he got 62 out of a stock one. One might be a little more or less than the other one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Adam dyno a wildcat and he got 62 out of a stock one. One might be a little more or less than the other one.
Also need to consider Dyno, operator, weather, altitude and fuel it all matters....In my little experience a difference of 10 to 15% means they are equal....unless done on the same dyno, by the same guy, almost at the same time there will always be a difference.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yeah i put the first one i got on the dyno, i think it made 62.7, dead even with -0- correction factors or smoothing. that means the dyno dont have any fancy "additions" to make the HP numbers look big. thats exactly what it makes. you may see some as low as 59, and some as high as 67, all depends on "smoothing and/or correction" factors in the dyno. all depends on the operator and how the dyno is set up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can't judge what Adam gets on the dyno there vs the dyno at HP solutions, as said, different dyno, different air temp, humidity, etc etc, make different numbers. Adam showed about a 2.5 HP difference, which is about what he is quoting here. Thanks for the vid and the time spent, greatly, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
He does but i thinK he's superbussy I talked to him and he really does take the time to explain things so
I (illiterate when it comes to clutches) can understand
great guy btw

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
He does answer you just have to call back like the machine says. He explains his work in fine detail. Be patient and call him back.

·
Registered
945 Posts
He can't answer the freakin phone this week......he is workin on Wabbits WCD......I am so sorry sir, you'll have to wait your turn....LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
686 Posts
we regularly receive 80-100 calls a day, and i am only one guy trying to field all of those calls. while i am one the phone with one potential customer, trying to explain and answer his every question, and end up on the phone for 33 minutes with him, i easily miss 10 calls. with only one phone line and one person answering. there is just only so much i can do.

starting march 1st, we will have this fixed (hopefully) i am moving locations, just built a shop on my property, and have AT&T already setting up 3 phone lines, with a phone system. so we can field every call, and i will have two people on the phones after the move. the current shop i am in, we apparently live in a black hole. i cant get internet, or phone service worth anything. out at my new place we have fiber run, and will be using VOIP. going to become part of the modern world rather than working out of this hell hole. i might as well be back in my mini storage whiddling on clutches where i am now.

i dont ignore any call. i pick it up every time it rings. if you dont catch me, its because i am on the phone with someone else. call me right back i can assure you, you will get thru, just gotta ring me a few times. next month that will all change and we wont have these issues.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
That is a very nice, flat power "curve". No wonder so many mistakenly think the Wildcat is slow, most people never experience that type of power output.

:cool:

·
Registered
686 Posts
the power curve is not at all like in most machines. most machines have an upward climb, the wildcat is different. notice how it peaks early right after you stab the throttle, then slowly drops from there on. this is because of the engines actual powerband. the reason the curve peaks soon and then falls is because the stock clutching is reving higher than where the engine actually makes its peak power. the stock shiftout is around 7200-7300RPM, but peak power is right at 6850. so as you first stab the throttle, the engine peaks as its trying to rev to its shiftout RPM, and the engine quickly peaks and continues to rev where the shiftout RPM is. as the clutch maxes out, and you start to gain RPM the engine continually loses power. the higher you rev the motor, the less power it makes. i will doctor on the dyno sheet i have and break it into RPM bands and try to explain it better. might try and get it uploaded tonight. after i band it out, you will see at what RPM power is really made, and see how drastically the power falls off after you rev past the peak power RPM band.

this is a torquey motor. not a high winding free reving climber.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The SOHC v-twin was an odd choice for an optimum sand machine. I guess they decided to go with what they had.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the power curve is not at all like in most machines. most machines have an upward climb, the wildcat is different. notice how it peaks early right after you stab the throttle, then slowly drops from there on. this is because of the engines actual powerband. the reason the curve peaks soon and then falls is because the stock clutching is reving higher than where the engine actually makes its peak power. the stock shiftout is around 7200-7300RPM, but peak power is right at 6850. so as you first stab the throttle, the engine peaks as its trying to rev to its shiftout RPM, and the engine quickly peaks and continues to rev where the shiftout RPM is. as the clutch maxes out, and you start to gain RPM the engine continually loses power. the higher you rev the motor, the less power it makes. i will doctor on the dyno sheet i have and break it into RPM bands and try to explain it better. might try and get it uploaded tonight. after i band it out, you will see at what RPM power is really made, and see how drastically the power falls off after you rev past the peak power RPM band.

this is a torquey motor. not a high winding free reving climber.
So are the dune guys better off not putting the pedal to the floor and trying to stay in the early power band?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
So are the dune guys better off not putting the pedal to the floor and trying to stay in the early power band?
Hey Gus,

I don't think that would be the answer, but keeping a load on it and letting it work would be best in stock form. This is like a diesel power curve, if you rev it high it gets slower, all the punch is down low just let it work and it will. I still think tires with more bite will be better in the sand climbs for the Wildcat, give it something to work against.

:cool:

Once this thing is opened up where it can breathe and the timing is corrected then I bet the top end comes alive also.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yes i know for certain this engine will make power in the revs, just needs some timing. we put the 5degree timing keys in some of the race motors and see 6hp gains. if benchmark gets the tunes on the factory ECU and can turn the timing up we will likely see big gains.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts